Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding was that "regular" surround mode would be 5.1, 4.1 or 4.0 and that SQ mode would be only 4.0 or 4.1. Chucky can confirm.

Hi All

Yes bangsezmax is correct, as the hardware cannot be specifically configured to be switchable between QS/ SQ and do the 5.1 on SQ this version will output SQ on the 4.1/.0 outputs but the frontal 5.1 outputs will still output QS. Still for 4 channel types (that's me to) the SQ decode will be fine.

We may later on release for qq a dedicated SQ / TSS unit with full center decode functions.

Hi Q8

We have done our paperwork background research on how we are going to do it but have not started programming due to Dave being somewhat overloaded with outer immediate projects. We hope to slot it in soon. I can assure you we will not release it unless we are very happy with its performance aside from the known limitations of SQ.

Regards

chucky

For users and people who are thinking about buying
the unit

It may not be mentioned in the instruction manual

That if you switch the Surround Master of the
signal goes strait through untouched

So Stereo in Stereo out

ron

Yes bangsezmax is correct, as the hardware cannot be specifically configured to be switchable between QS/ SQ and do the 5.1 on SQ this version will output SQ on the 4.1/.0 outputs but the frontal 5.1 outputs will still output QS. Still for 4 channel types (that's me to) the SQ decode will be fine.
How can the user choose between the different output options?

a) 4.0 (SQ and QS)
b) 4.1 (SQ and QS) This is for bass management, right?
c) QS 4.0
d) QS 4.1
e) QS 5.1

Thanks in advance

BTW, I don't see any 5.1 frontal outputs in the current model.

If such a thing appears I think
that the signal would go to the CD4 first
then through to the Surround Master

How can the user choose between the different output options?

a) 4.0 (SQ and QS)
b) 4.1 (SQ and QS) This is for bass management, right?
c) QS 4.0
d) QS 4.1
e) QS 5.1
If you look at the output panel, it will make sense. The switch will change from QS to SQ. Everything else (4.0 to 5.1) depends on which outputs you choose to use.

BTW, I don't see any 5.1 frontal outputs in the current model.
Going from left to right, it's the 4th set of L/R outputs.

The design of the unit is not what most people are used to. But it makes very efficient use of the space and keeps things simple, which I'm fairly certain was the objective.

If you look at the output panel, it will make sense. The switch will change from QS to SQ. Everything else (4.0 to 5.1) depends on which outputs you choose to use.
Thanks bangsezmax.

There's no switch indicating "QS" in the current model, right?

How does the unit know if it has to generate a Sub-woofer signal and/or a Center signal? Does it detect the cable connections?

Going from left to right, it's the 4th set of L/R outputs.
That is in the back, right?, not in the front. EDIT, oh, I see, he meant the front (L,R outputs).

Last edited:
Been reading through here. Before I pre-order this, can someone confirm this does both SQ and QS. The "secret" page doesn't mention QS. It also says this version doesn't have their "TSS virtualizer algorithm." Does this mean it doesn't generate a 4-channel quad mix from a 2-channel (non matrixed) source?

My head is spinning as I sit here at LAX waiting to get on a plane!

After re-reading this thread again, this is what I take away:

* This decodes QS and SQ, but won't generate a surround mix on the fly.
* There is no switch to switch between formats. The unit listens to the source and determines what to do.
* You have to turn it off and then on when switching from QS, to SQ, to stereo.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

Last, is it worth waiting until the unit is out to order? Will there be a new version with enhancements? I'd rather pay 50 bucks more and not get the discount if a 2.0 version is on the horizon, but if not, I'd like to order now and save a few bucks.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Gotta turn off my gadgets now... on a plane.

Rich

The Involve SM only has one set of stereo inputs.

The ouptput mode is what changes. The current version has two settings via the switch:

2 channel -- this inputs two L+R channels and outputs two L+R channels into a "virtual surround" soundfield. This is the TSS mode.
4 channel -- this inputs two channels and outputs 4.0 and 5.1 (you can also do 5.0 or 4.1 if you choose). This is Involve's interpretation of the QS matrix.

The SQ version on the "secret" page is in development. Current owners can send their units in for a retrofit. There will still be a single set of inputs. The switch will change on the new units for the following outputs:

SQ mode -- this inputs 2 channels and outputs 4 channels (or 4.1) using the SQ matrix
and the other mode (not knowing how they'll label these) will be the same as the second one above.

So in short -- on the SQ version, you will lose the TSS mode, and gain the SQ mode, but SQ will only be 4.0 or 4.1. The Involve (QS) mode will do 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 or 5.1 depending on which outputs you use.

After re-reading this thread again, this is what I take away:

* This decodes QS and SQ, but won't generate a surround mix on the fly.
No -- it will create a surround mix from non-encoded stereo. The quality of the results depends on the recording you feed into it.

* There is no switch to switch between formats. The unit listens to the source and determines what to do.
No -- there is a switch that changes from 2-channel (out) mode to 4-channel (or 5.1). On the SQ version, the 2-channel setting gets replaced by SQ.

* You have to turn it off and then on when switching from QS, to SQ, to stereo.
Yes.

OK. My confusion is over the lack of a qs/sq toggle switch.
A toggle switch like the one you're describing will be on the new version. I don't know if it will be labeled "QS" as such. Like I said, it's their interpretation of QS. OxfordDickie is quite admant that it is not "true" QS. But I can report (and others have reported as well) that it does a fine job with QS source material. It also sounds great with some stereo recordings.

Nobody here has heard their take on SQ yet.

To further eliminate confusion, the TSS mode creates the audible illusion of 4 speakers when you are using it on a stereo setup. For the SQ version, you loose the TSS to have SQ decoding. So it will do the original Involve (QS) decode, and in this version, when you flip the switch it will do SQ instead of TSS. It will still synthesize quad from stereo in either mode (although the Involve/QS is better at this than SQ). You just won't be able to run it on a two speaker stereo system to simulate having 4 speakers (TSS). I hope this clears up your confusion.

Yes. I'm clear. What do people think about waiting on a second version?

My guess is there will not be a second version since the audience is so small.

(I'm not in San Franciscon on layover to JFK!).

Well, it's unclear if there will be future refinements or not (especially with the SQ decoding). But the QS has been tested by many members here now, everyone seems extremely happy with it. The programmer of the device said that he doesn't plan on releasing the SQ version untill it is the best decode he can do. Hopefully it will at least be in the same league or better than the Tate. I believe they offer a money back guarantee if you aren't happy with it.

Back