Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, I'm selling the thing now. Charlie needs to put me on the payrol ;)

I assumed you were a shill for the company.

Alright... I'm ordering it. I love spending money I don't quite have yet. And I hope you enjoy your 5% kickback. Go buy some records.

Do other peoples' significant others think they're nuts? I"m sure my girlfriend thinks I've gone off the deepend with this stuff. But we'll see who's crazy when she hears Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in quad. That'll show her.

I'm sure someone must have said it, but they should have a USB port on this thing so you can download upgrades to it.

I assumed you were a shill for the company.

Alright... I'm ordering it. I love spending money I don't quite have yet. And I hope you enjoy your 5% kickback. Go buy some records.

Do other peoples' significant others think they're nuts? I"m sure my girlfriend thinks I've gone off the deepend with this stuff. But we'll see who's crazy when she hears Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in quad. That'll show her.

You see that Charlie!? 5%!! Heh heh heh.

For the most part, my GF thinks the quad stuff is cool and kinda wants to get into it herself. I've already got her into records and 8-tracks and higher end stereo gear. Also I ruined low bitrate MP3s for her :D

But you should have saw the look I got when I showed her that I paid $200 for a quad Oscilloscope the other day.

Charlotte likes it, too. Truth is, she was desperate for a system in the 70s. I just get a lot of eye rolls and blank looks when I start talking about SQDs and QS and CD4 and demodulators and shibata and such.

Quad oscilloscope, ey? I gotta get to my next flight!

And yes, I just bought that decoder. I'm excited! Can't wait to hear it.

A toggle switch like the one you're describing will be on the new version. I don't know if it will be labeled "QS" as such. Like I said, it's their interpretation of QS. OxfordDickie is quite admant that it is not "true" QS. But I can report (and others have reported as well) that it does a fine job with QS source material. It also sounds great with some stereo recordings.

Nobody here has heard their take on SQ yet.[/QUOTE

some people are quick to rubbish
but slow to say there are wrong

rustyandi -- I have a great appreciation for OD's contributions to the quad community, his technical expertise and his attention to detail. I was simply pointing out that there have been differences of opinion on whether or not the Surround Master is a true QS decoder.

hi All

Wow, Bangsezmax and Q8 really do need to become my agents! Both are totally correct.

Regards

Chucky

A satisfied customer is the best salesman. Your customer service so far has been great and we obviously really like the product. Very excited for the SQ upgrade.

I have no problem with he,s technical expertise
But when I brought the unit to the attention of the Club
The fist thing that he said is that beware I maybe a Crook
Not let me see and understand
You do not start with a closed mind

If the argument is over, why bring up the unpleasant discussion again? Let's focus back on the amazing new toy we have/will be getting.

I have not spoken to him
But the unit was originally mean to give a
surround effect to stereo
That is why I asked him if he would mind if I told the club that it is
a great QS decoder before I put the notice on the board
As I thought that anything QUAD is the kiss of death to audio nuts
And as you see there is no QS marking on the unit
So the QS decoding was no the first thing it was meant to do
as QS is only know to a few QUAD collectors
So if any improvements are made to QS it would only be as a result
of trying to improve stereo surround

Hi Bigbillquad and Rustyandi

If we find any improvements that can be made to the software we offer a free (except transport) update upon return to our factory.

Yes we set out to design both the best stereo decode AND the most faithful encode/ decode system whist maintaining a stereo encode that cannot be distinguished fro plain stereo. When we release our encoder shortly we hope to demonstrate this point. The choice of the QS central core matrix was because we believed that the QS system was fully balanced with no preference to front/ back/ left/ right in short it is circular unlike the majority of other matrixes that are heavily biased for left/ right separation. We could not improve on this core QS decode matrix but we have found improvements to the encode matrix.

Regards

Chucky

Just placed my order for the QS/SQ box.

Will it possible to order the SQ version after March? I want one but presently don't have the funds.

Hi Surroundophile

The end date on the special offer was 31 March for the SQ unit. Having said that our commercial boys tend to be a bit slow of updating the web purchase site! So you should be OK ..... If not just email me on [email protected] and I will OK it for you (I am also totally stuffed for funds!)

Regards

chucky

So how is the SQ decoding coming along?

Back