Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi quadsearcher

The SQ/ QS Involve core unit will continue to be available.

Regards

Chucky

OK, I had no money then and less now, so.... that's what the credit card is for!

One more question though and apologies if this has already been covered (lots of posts to read through), is this a limited run available only by pre-order, or will it continue to be available at the same price after the pre-order period?

Hi All

Now the bad news.

I am informed by our commercial people that our $18 world wide shipping cost will go up after 7 September 2013 (in a week) to whatever the real cost is for your area. This could mean an additional $40. So if you are thinking about buying .......think fast.

Regards

Chucky

Hi All

Now the bad news.

I am informed by our commercial people that our $18 world wide shipping cost will go up after 7 September 2013 (in a week) to whatever the real cost is for your area. This could mean an additional $40. So if you are thinking about buying .......think fast.

Regards

Chucky

That sounds like an incentive to move !

Ah, the old increased shipping charge trick!

Questions:
1. I see that there are two options to hook up the unit - 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel that use somewhat different outputs. Are you recommending the 4 Channel option?
2. I have a few of the RCA Victor Dolby Surround encoded CDs from years ago. Which mode (SQ or QS) would be the better choice for decoding these ?

Chucky, just wondering how long does shipping usually take for shipping out the SQ-QS models? I ordered mine a couple of days ago

I play all my Dolby CDs with (QS) Involve
I have some from James Last that sound Full surround
SQ tends to sound unbalanced

Hi

Personally I have never liked the center channel - but that's me (I am spoiled on our Total Perspective system). It really is your choice to use the center channel or not. Please note that whilst the SQ/ QS version of the Surround Master does not do a full SQ 5 channel decode of the center channel (QS does) a good compromise is to use the normal 4 channel SQ outputs and use the QS-derived center channel from the 5.1 outputs (the direction of which is derived identically to SQ). The only downside of this wiring trick is the center would not be removed from the left/ right speakers, like it is on the 5.1 QS front outputs.

Hope this is as clear as mud.

Regards

Chucky

Ah, the old increased shipping charge trick!

Questions:
1. I see that there are two options to hook up the unit - 4 Channel and 5.1 Channel that use somewhat different outputs. Are you recommending the 4 Channel option?
2. I have a few of the RCA Victor Dolby Surround encoded CDs from years ago. Which mode (SQ or QS) would be the better choice for decoding these ?

Chucky, just wondering how long does shipping usually take for shipping out the SQ-QS models? I ordered mine a couple of days ago

Hey there Discrete 4 (can I call you D-4?)

Shipping to the U.S. is supposed to take up to 10 business days, typically it seems to be taking about 5. The most recent batch went out the door yesterday I believe, so you should have it by the end of next week hopefully, or the Monday after. Once the unit is in the U.S. you can track it on the USPS website.

~David.

Thanks Overture, and yes, D-4 is easier to type. It seems to be going kinda timely. I had notification 2 days after ordering that the unit was shipped. So hopefully by the end of next week I'll have it to set up for that weekend. I'll keep you posted.

I play all my Dolby CDs with (QS) Involve
I have some from James Last that sound Full surround
SQ tends to sound unbalanced

Thanks. I'll test that out when my Surround Master arrives.

James Last issued some Dolby Surround CDs? Hmm. I remember his "Love for Sale" album years ago. Haven't seen anything from him lately.
He must be more popular outside the U.S.

Merry Christmas and Custard to all!

Our company morale officer, Scrooge Van Dongen, after careful negotiation with the ghost of Christmas future, has decided to impart upon the forum members a discount code good for 50 bucks off either variant of the surround master, the original and the SQ edition, good until the end of the year.
It's just our way of saying "Sh*t, we should do something for the qq forum for Christmas"
Seriously though, it has been an insane and rewarding year in unusual ways, and it truly has been a pleasure getting to know and interact with 99.9% of you.

Ho ho ho
Yours, with a strategically placed sprig of holly,
Ebeneezer Dave

Surround Master code: QQHNY2013
Surround Master SQ code: QSQHNY2013

Codes are applicable at checkout.

Very cool offer - I'm loving mine! For any newbs who missed all of the activity when this device came out - it converts stereo analog to quad/5.1 analog better than any other synthesized surround I've seen - the results on some tracks are very discrete. Go back & read the posts and check it out. Highly recommended! (Mine is the original version. I'll let the quaddies chime in on the SQ version if they see fit!)

And also for QQ's in the US.
our dollar has gone down by about 12pc
against the US dollar since the Surround Master came out

What kind of a stereo can be used with one? Are there any tube four channel amps out there that you can use this with?

I have never heard of Tube 4 Channel amps
If you wanted to you could get 2 Stereo tube amps
and a stereo pre amp
Maybe ROTEL had some type tube setup in there
amps?

Yes as Ron says ..just get a couple of tube amps and use one set for the fronts and one set for the rears...and it's best if they are the same amps...of course if you want 5.1 or 7.1 then you are best off finding mono blocks as you will have odd an number of channels....and also an air conditioner for the listening room

Back