Reality Technologies Surround Master - Info, Questions and Ordering Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Just thought it would be nice to keep all the reviews (so far) from QQ and others in one huge 78 page document. I may have accidentally doubled up in some spots- but hey at least it makes the document look bigger!

Enjoy and lets hear some more opinions.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• reviews-master.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 347
First off I'm considering getting an SQ/QS version of the Surround Master in the not too distant future. Regarding the QS decode, for proper decoding 90 degree phase shifting is required on the rear outputs to put the rears back in phase with the fronts. I assume that this unit omits that function as it would affect stereo enhancement as well as decodes of EV-4 and Dyna which do not require the phase shift. The decoder then is most likely based on the original Peter Scheiber coefficients not really QS. I think that is what OD was alluding to in previous posts.

First off I'm considering getting an SQ/QS version of the Surround Master in the not too distant future. Regarding the QS decode, for proper decoding 90 degree phase shifting is required on the rear outputs to put the rears back in phase with the fronts. I assume that this unit omits that function as it would affect stereo enhancement as well as decodes of EV-4 and Dyna which do not require the phase shift. The decoder then is most likely based on the original Peter Scheiber coefficients not really QS. I think that is what OD was alluding to in previous posts.

Hey there Par4ken,

Whether or not that's what OD was alluding to, it's not completely accurate - the Involve decode is based initially on the QS equations, but then we have a whole slew of really complicated dumb stuff (that makes sense, believe me) that works alongside and in conjunction with it.

The unit wasn't designed to decode EV4 / Dyna, it just happened that the way our processing works does an excellent job of it, according to the reports we've had from users.

At any rate, there's a two week cooldown on the purchase, so you 're welcome to put it through its paces.

You'd be the second to return it for that reason. The first was because he had no rear speakers - I suspect he didn't quite understand it.

~David

I have played a number of EV4 lps
with the Surround Master and the QSD1
and have shown the decoding on the Vector scope
Years ago on this site before the Surround master
I had said the best decoding for EV4 was through the QSD1
If it is not exact then it is so close that it does not mater

Hey there Par4ken,

Whether or not that's what OD was alluding to, it's not completely accurate - the Involve decode is based initially on the QS equations, but then we have a whole slew of really complicated dumb stuff (that makes sense, believe me) that works alongside and in conjunction with it.

As an owner of the Surround Master I find that the Involve/QS mode is the one I use most - for Stereo to Surround, QS decoding, Dolby Surround, etc. You definitely want to get that capability.

I won't be sending mine back. :)

Hi All

We have started to compile a Surround Master amplifier compatibility list, meaning if the amplifier has pre out and surround in so that the SM can work between the pre and power amp.

This list is only a start and is intended to help people work out if they need to buy another amplifier or not. May I request QQ forum members to add to the list your amplifier that interfaces well with the SM

Our start is:

Surround Master™ Compatibility List

Yamaha – BD-A1040, CX-A5000, HTR-5590, MX-A5000, RX-A1030, RX-A1040, RX-A2030, RX-A2040, RX-A3030, RX-A3040, RX-A730, RX-A740, RX-A830, RX-A840, RX-V667, RX-V675, RX-V677

Kenwood – VR-414, VR-605, VR-6050, VR-606, VR-6060, VR-6070, VR-615, VR-705, VR-7070, VR-7080, VR-7090, VR-806, VR-8050, VR-8060, VR-9070

Marantz – SR5004, SR5005, SR5006, SR6005, SR6006, SR6008, NR1402

Onkyo – TX-NR515, TX-NR626, TX-NR809, TX-SR500

Sony – STR-DE525, STR-DE598

Denon – AVR-2310, AVR-788

Harmon Kardon – AVR 1600

Sherwood – RD-6500

Pioneer – VSX-D850S

NAD – T747

Any more?????

Regards

Chucky

Hi All

We have started to compile a Surround Master amplifier compatibility list, meaning if the amplifier has pre out and surround in so that the SM can work between the pre and power amp.

This list is only a start and is intended to help people work out if they need to buy another amplifier or not. May I request QQ forum members to add to the list your amplifier that interfaces well with the SM

Our start is:

Yamaha – BD-A1040, CX-A5000, HTR-5590, MX-A5000, RX-A1030, RX-A1040, RX-A2030, RX-A2040, RX-A3030, RX-A3040, RX-A730, RX-A740, RX-A830, RX-A840, RX-V667, RX-V675, RX-V677

Kenwood – VR-414, VR-605, VR-6050, VR-606, VR-6060, VR-6070, VR-615, VR-705, VR-7070, VR-7080, VR-7090, VR-806, VR-8050, VR-8060, VR-9070

Marantz – SR5004, SR5005, SR5006, SR6005, SR6006, SR6008, NR1402

Onkyo – TX-NR515, TX-NR626, TX-NR809, TX-SR500

Sony – STR-DE525, STR-DE598

Denon – AVR-2310, AVR-788

Harmon Kardon – AVR 1600

Sherwood – RD-6500

Pioneer – VSX-D850S

NAD – T747

Any more?????

Regards

Chucky

And the SQ mode is pretty good as well... :)
I have the original SM and the SQ mode left me a little underwhelmed. But then I purchased a new shibita stylus for my cartridge. My original was elliptical. Big difference. Perhaps I may not need the new SM after all. Lots of separation now.

Hi. chucky
I have my SM connected to a JVC 4ch. SEA controller model SEA-V7E Then to my Denon AVR-2106 Receiver Amp.
Bill...

Hi All

Our start is:

A couple more for the list:
Emotiva UMC-1 & XMC-1

I have mine hooked up to a switch box (so I can switch between my Oppo and the Surround Master) which goes into the analog inputs on my UMC-1.

The (stereo) input to the surround master is from the "Tape Out" of Stereo Amp which I use to select the source going into my Surround Master (Turntable or Oppo Blu-ray).

Dear All

Just thought I would issue all QQ members with the internal email "hotline" of people in our various specialties, feel free to contact us directly at any time.

[email protected] - Charles Van Dongen - CTO (Chucky)
[email protected] - David Alexandrou - Senior Engineer (Overture)
[email protected] - Max Van Dongen - Mechanical Engineer/ Physicist
[email protected] - Christopher Coller - Product Design
[email protected] - Dawson Johns - Business Administration and Marketing
[email protected] - John Di Paolo - Accounts
[email protected] - general inquiries email, goes to Dawson and David
[email protected] - support email - goes to Dawson and David
[email protected] - Kevin Corson - Marketing Engineers - USA branch manager, website management, design and marketing
[email protected] - Ron Ewer - Website content, social media coordinator.

Hope to talk soon!

Regards

Chucky

Hi guys I'm later to this thread obviously, but had questions about the surround master;

Is the LP RIAA curve applied with the Surround master? Ie would you run your phono directly to the SM 2-channell input, or does it need to be "equalized" to line level first? Hope that question makes sense because if the SM can handle it, then I can run the 2-channel out from my CD-4 decoder directly into the SM, without losing another 4 channel input on my vintage Marantz receiver.

I'm hoping this really is the "holy grail" for SQ decoding, but want to be sure I'm configuring it effectively.

Hi. Tubelicious

Yes you are right the Surround Master has only line level input, and I think and everybody how has the SM this is the "holy grail" for SQ and QS decoding.
Bill...

Hi guys I'm later to this thread obviously, but had questions about the surround master;

Is the LP RIAA curve applied with the Surround master? Ie would you run your phono directly to the SM 2-channell input, or does it need to be "equalized" to line level first? Hope that question makes sense because if the SM can handle it, then I can run the 2-channel out from my CD-4 decoder directly into the SM, without losing another 4 channel input on my vintage Marantz receiver.

I'm hoping this really is the "holy grail" for SQ decoding, but want to be sure I'm configuring it effectively.

No RIAA curve is applied with the Surround Master, it requires a line level input, so you need a phono preamp between your turntable and the Surround Master :)

Does your CD-4 demodulator have a 4-channel loop or a 2-channel in/out direct/bypass facility?

Just to be sure, what model's your turntable and what model's your CD-4 demodulator?

Edit: Also, you ought to ensure you specifically order the SQ vinyl chip modified version of the Surround Master direct from Involve if you are particularly interested in getting the best SQ matrix decoding out of your SQ LPs, the standard model off the shelf is said not to be the SQ holy grail :)

Ps. Tubelicious, if you are setup to play Multichannel files on your computer I can give you a couple of sample clips demonstrating the SQ vinyl Surround Master's SQ decoding abilities?

Oh and another quick thing for you Tubelicious, if you want to track down SQ records that (I feel anyway! :eek: ) decode particularly well thru the SQ vinyl Surround Master, these are some of my own favourites that I feel the SQ Surround Master does justice..

Reo Speedwagon/Lost In A Dream,
Reo Speedwagon/This Time We Mean It,
Aerosmith/Get Your Wings,
Edgar Winter/Jasmine Nightdreams,
Rick Derringer/All American Boy,
Poco/Crazy Eyes,
Poco/Seven,
Poco/Cantamos,
Ted Nugent/Free For All,
Loggins & Messina/Native Sons,
Jeff Beck/Blow By Blow,
Blood Sweat & Tears/Mirror Image,
Blood Sweat & Tears/New City,
Janis Ian/Between The Lines,
Bob Dylan/Desire,
Redbone/Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes,
Santana/Caravanserai,
Miracles/Love Crazy,
MFSB/Love Is The Message,
MFSB/Philadelphia Freedom,
O'Jays/Message In The Music,
O'Jays/Survival,
O'Jays/Family Reunion,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes/Black & Blue,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes/Wake Up Everybody,
Billy Paul/360 Degrees Of..,
Billy Paul/War Of The Gods,
Earth Wind & Fire/Head To The Sky,
Earth Wind & Fire/That's The Way Of The World,
Earth Wind & Fire/Spirit,
Isaac Hayes/Joy,
Isaac Hayes/Tough Guys,
Isley Brothers/Live It Up,
Isley Brothers/Harvest For The World,
Minnie Riperton/Adventures In Paradise,
Minnie Riperton/Perfect Angel,
Manhattans/Feels So Good,
Labelle/Phoenix,
Johnnie Taylor/Eargasm,
David Essex/Rock On,
Dave Mason/ST,
Dave Mason/It's Like You Never Left,
Art Garfunkel/Breakaway,
Andy Williams/Andy,
Johnny Mathis/I'm Coming Home,
Chase/Pure Music,
Azteca/ST,
Herbie Hancock/Sextant,
Weather Report/Mysterious Traveller,
Weather Report/Tale Spinnin',
Ramsey Lewis Trio/Upendo Ni Pamoja,
Return To Forever/Musicmagic

Ps. Tubelicious, if you are setup to play Multichannel files on your computer I can give you a couple of sample clips demonstrating the SQ vinyl Surround Master's SQ decoding abilities?

Fred: I'm not there yet but hope to be, and would still appreciate the samples if possible.

In terms of my set up I'm a little limited now, as the centerpiece, my Marantz 4140, is currently getting rebuilt. I also don't have a TT yet, but am open to recommendations, in a perfect world, I'd like to do both SQ and CD4 from the same TT, but am getting conflicting info on whether I need a dedicated Shibata stylus and cd4 cartridge or not. I plan to use a Marantz CD-400b decoder which has the pass through, but not sure if it's RIAA equalized or not. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to add a phono preamp between the cd4 demodulator and Involve SQ if I have to.

Ultimately I want to be able to have:
Q4 r2r
Q8 8-track
SQ demodulator (involve SQ)
Cd4 demodulator (probability CD-400B)
Would be great if I could feed both demodulator With one phono
Modern Muktichanel Bluray (stepped down to 4.0 / 4.1 if I add a sub)
Computer interface

These are my goals and I haven't purchased the TT yet (need to figure out the cartridge / stylus issue). If I could do it with an exchangeable heads head she'll that might be the way to go. Also I've read that linear tracking is better for quad, but that the players are less reliable :(

Just trying to measure 6 times and cut once :)

Thanks for the great list Fred! I only have a handful of SQ titles (bought when I see them), so I'll keep a lookout for these:)

Back