Reality Technologies Surround Master - Owners Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah! Made the whole thing up!...............................................Just kidding........Listening now to the Qudradisc NILSON SCHMILSSON.......Jump Into The Fire......Sensational through the Master!
Dwight

Nah! Made the whole thing up!...............................................Just kidding........Listening now to the Qudradisc NILSON SCHMILSSON.......Jump Into The Fire......Sensational through the Master!
Dwight

I bet it's even better with a CD-4 demodulator :ugham:

Ron, Someone else here at QQ, had suggested something similar and claimed teriffic results. Both his name and the name of the processor escape me, but when I've finished my first round of serious listening, I'm game. Thanks for the suggestion...and thanks for your early description and support for this wonderful piece of equipment.
Dwight

Last edited:
I posted a long time ago
That I had hooked up CS decoder surround for the front speakers
and QSD 1 syn.button on for the rear channels
It works very well I can adjust the levels from the chair I sit it
My system on SHOW US YOUR GEAR
that little box on the table can
move LF to RF Front to rear RR to LR
Volume, and center front levels
with what I was talking about with the 2 decoders
it may be better to play the S/Master in 5.1 mode

I have been using 4 CH.but I have a center channel that I can use or not
I found that when I switched it of that it sounded hollow
in the front
Ron

FYI - Steely Dan - Aja on a casual listen wasn't as good as an old DTS CD upmix I've got....

Tiki - Past, Present, Future (NZ Music)... I wish I could record some of the tracks to show you guys samples. On one track the "electric buzz" sound goes around all four speakers.. sounds totally discrete!!!!

Blackfield II is another winner....

another system that the Surround Master seems to
decode well is
YES
Open your eyes CD
done in the SAIL encoding
who knows what it is supposed to sound like but
the surround is not to bad
Does anyone know about the SAIL system?
Ron

another system that the Surround Master seems to
decode well is
YES
Open your eyes CD
done in the SAIL encoding
who knows what it is supposed to sound like but
the surround is not to bad
Does anyone know about the SAIL system?
Ron

I;ve given that one a go....

Sometimes you'll put on a record on with the Surround Master and something will just jump out and sound amazing.

Tonight it was "Amelia" bu Joni Mitchell from the Hejira album. Wow.

And really, there are only three instruments going on with this track: Joni's rhythm guitar, Pat Metheny's lead guitar, and Joni's voice. And it sounds ASTOUNDING through the Surround Master. How did they do that?

Wow.

I've noticed that this thread has been dormant for a second. I would be interested in reading about further experiences with the Surround Master while I wait for the SQ version to be completed and shipped :D

Well, Ive been enjoyng the Surround Master so much, Ive not been listening too many DVD-A, SACDs or Blu Rays lately,

IVe been buying Hi REz albums form HDTRacks and playing them through the Surround MASter, even albums and bands I didnt like before and it is a new thing completely.

My only complaint, if there is one, is that the box doesnt look good at all and its made of plastic, which looks rather ugly with my other beautiful equipment.
For the price i expcected it to look and feel like something like Cambridge Audio DAC or "apple" nothing too sophisticated but not just a plastic box. I use it manly with and Cambridge Audio DAC for music in my computer so the SM sits above the DAC, whic looks good, so I will have to find a way to "hide" the SM.

I still love it and would buy another one for another room if a had the money.

Yeah, I think the appearance scared all of us at first. To me, it kinda looks like a cheap digital TV converter box like they were mass producing when the US govt. first required all TV broadcasts to be digital. I guess the encoder and the fancy full featured model they plan to release will have a better enclosure. But at least it's not too big, so it will be overshadowed by the rest of my fancy gear.

But one can get past looks when performance is so spectacular (I guess you can do that with women too). I am really looking forward to my whole Matrix LP collection really coming alive. Also it will be fun to see what stereo recordings really come alive too.

One thing that I haven't seen too much commentary on, is with 80's pop/dance/new wave recordings. I was listening to the extended 12" single version Of Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant (a digital copy of the actual 12" single version, or the actual 12" single is hard to come by) and thinking that through headphones, the song has so much depth and swirly effects, I wonder if the SM would use those directional cues in a more discrete way. Sometimes I try not to think about the SM too much cause I get too excited and impatient. lol

I was listening to a 192k/24 bit yinyl rip that my brother did of Kraftwerk - Computer World last night...it works really well...

Weel, Ive not been playing 80s Dance/Pop, but Ive had been playing the sorts of Daft Punk and Moby (kinda dance/electronica funky music)

and I have to say I loved what came out of the Daft Punk Records (even my little 2,5 year old girl liked it and danced like there is no tomorrow! video of that is very fun...lol)

Ive also played the new masterisation of MAd Season album (hdtracks 192/24) and its also great. Mad Season was kinda super-group of grunge music: Vocalist form Alice in Chains, Guitar from Pearl Jam, and the other two guys I really dont know. Its kinda melancholic grunge music. I didnt like it before, but the SM changed my perspective. It sounds fuller and I can appreciate it more (even thou I still dont love it, but no I can listen to it)

Using a device that (re)digitizes to, what?, Redbook, and with no assurance (yet) by the manufacturer of optimal level matching to play high-res files seems incongruous, IMHO.

well it might redigitilze to redbook, but I still like it more than the original CD over the SM in every case when I tried both; CD vs digital over DAC (in any case it goes throgh one sort of DAC anyway

He might be right form what it says on the page:

Frequency Response (stereo bypass mode

DC 100kHZ

Frequency Response (All surround modes)

20 Hz – 20KHz 1db

but im no expert, maybe its my mind playing games but i like it more when I play my hi rez files throght the DAC rather than the CD or not using the DAC...

Back