DSD to PCM conversion?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using those same settings above except DSD2PCM Mode set to 'Direct (double-precision, 30kHz) and outputting to FLAC with good results. Not sure if it makes any difference (Floating Point vs Double).

Hi there,

Floating Point and Double Precision determine the... precision with which the DSD flow is decoded to PCM. It also determines the speed with which your computer will perform the task.
Basically, it will take less time and ressources to decode: if you have a standard 32bit Operating System, use Fixed Point (24bit audio); if you have a 64bit OS use Floating Point (32bit Float audio); and finally Double Precision (48bit audio) only if you are anal about getting the most precise conversion regardless of if the difference is audible or not.

I have tested the different LF filters and I found out that a 40kHz filter is better for material originally analogue (it gives blacker backgrounds), and 50kHz filter better for originally PCM or DSD material. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread but the SACD plugin (and foobar itself) have been updated many times since then. Unfortunately, Nvidia still doesn't support any of the following: DSD, ASIO drivers, 88.2khz, or 176khz. This is what my settings are currently and everything looks good, but if you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

My setup: Nvidia geforce 1080ti/windows 10/latest foobar with SACD plugin/Onkyo TX-NR676.

tAUkwwg.png

Back