Quad LP/Tape Poll Winter, Edgar, Group: They Only Come Out At Night [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "They Only Come Out at Night"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
Edgar lives in Los Angeles. I could stake out his place, corner him and tell him that somebody is standing in the way of his quad tapes being reissued, and could he get it cleared up for us real fans who have been listening for many years.

I heard that he really does only come out at night.
(Edit)
Oh wait, now I remember why, AF did not want to do TOCOAN because there was a SACD released by MFSL ten years ago. There goes that.

Last edited:
Edgar lives in Los Angeles. I could stake out his place, corner him and tell him that somebody is standing in the way of his quad tapes being reissued, and could he get it cleared up for us real fans who have been listening for many years.

(Edit)
Oh wait, now I remember why, AF did not want to do TOCOAN because there was a SACD released by MFSL ten years ago. There goe that.

I have that MoFi Stereo SACD but hey, that was 10 years ago so I like your idea. Stake out his house and when he comes out at night make your move.

I'm sure it would be a top seller for Audio Fidelity if they did release the QUAD.

This was killer quad in the '70s, and a must own if you had a Q8 player. And the best part of the Q8 'arrangement' was that the best two, er, most popular two tunes came back to back which was perfect when you were going to demo your quad to someone. Head turning stuff. In many ways! :)

Many ways.

The stereo mix does some rather inventive things so far as the mixing is concerned. Sounded really good to me as a stoned 14 year old head. I listened to it on head phones, blew my mind.

I have that MoFi Stereo SACD but hey, that was 10 years ago so I like your idea. Stake out his house and when he comes out at night make your move.

I'm sure it would be a top seller for Audio Fidelity if they did release the QUAD.

That MOFI SACD sounds a bit "meh".. I prefer the old "unremastered" Sony CD (and that's not great).. come on AF, 'redeem yourself' ( ;) ) for the RTF & WR catastrophe.. and come out at night with Edgar, Ronnie and co. You know you want to.. ;)

If anyone ever comes across the single for Free Ride I would pick it up if your'e a fan. The mix is different than either the quad mix or the stereo album mix.

If anyone ever comes across the single for Free Ride I would pick it up if your'e a fan. The mix is different than either the quad mix or the stereo album mix.

The Free Ride 45rpm guitar solo is by the kid who filled in between Montrose and Derringer. He can be seen in the 1973 appearance on Midnight Special. Non-LP B-side as well can't remember, standing in the airport now.
EDIT: b-side is Catching Up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I think that all songs from this album which appear on 7" singles are different mixes. Hangin Around, Undercover Man, and of course Frankenstein got remixes for 45s.

Btw, the Wiki page says that in 2008 there was quad reissued???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Only_Come_Out_at_Night

I think that all songs from this album which appear on 7" singles are different mixes. Hangin Around, Undercover Man, and of course Frankenstein got remixes for 45s.

:yikes

;)

..V.Intrigued to know which CD release that is (I'm guessing the insinuation is that 2008 edition is SQ encoded? I've 3 different versions on CD now, none of them are the Quad mix..)

Wikipedia is a wonderful resource but only as good as the veracity of knowledge of the fellow inputting the data, imho..
and seeing as (afaik?) any old Tom, Dick or Harry can do so, well I tend to take a lot of the info there with a pinch of salt tbh.

Yes they are all different to some degree. Undercover Man is fairly similar to the stereo version. Frankenstein seems to be just an edited version but what's there is also similar to the stereo. Hangin Around is very different from other versions but Free Ride is almost like hearing a completely different mix.

The Free Ride 45rpm guitar solo is by the kid who filled in between Montrose and Derringer. He can be seen in the 1973 appearance on Midnight Special. Non-LP B-side as well can't remember, standing in the airport now.
EDIT: b-side is Catching Up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

Ok, so snooping around last night it looks like there is/was a 2008 paper sleeve DSD Japanese release (some sellers mention from Sony/BMG and/or SBME) and a later 2011/2012 release (details a little hazy.. some say '11, some retailers say '12!) which also has paper sleeve mini LP/CDLP packaging and is said by a couple of sellers to have DSD remastering.. I can't afford to get both this month, which one should I go for first, 2008 or 2011/12..?
(this is in the hope one of them might be the SQ Quad btw... :) )

Ok, so snooping around last night it looks like there is/was a 2008 paper sleeve DSD Japanese release (some sellers mention from Sony/BMG and/or SBME) and a later 2011/2012 release (details a little hazy.. some say '11, some retailers say '12!) which also has paper sleeve mini LP/CDLP packaging and is said by a couple of sellers to have DSD remastering.. I can't afford to get both this month, which one should I go for first, 2008 or 2011/12..?
(this is in the hope one of them might be the SQ Quad btw... :) )

I'd go for the 2011/12 edition....just a hunch, Adam.

BTW, I treated my MoFi SACD of TOCOAN (Mapleshade Polish/Ultra Bit Diamond +), demagnetized it, dampered it and WOW....WHAT A DIFFERENCE. But still NOT Quad.

Shall we start our emails to Marshall Blonstein of AF that it really needs a QUAD SACD release, Adam?

A really great idea EXCEPT I highly doubt that EW has any pull with Sony (Columbia.) 15 years ago, I met Paul Revere (of the Raiders.) I had asked him when the Indian Reservation and Country Wine albums would be released on CD. His answer was, "it's all up to Columbia. They do what they want and there's no notification. I hear about these things when you do." BTW: those two PR&R albums have been released in other countries on CD, but to my knowledge still not as domestic releases.

Perhaps the only hope is for AF to get the rights, which may have already expired for the MoFi 2ch SACD.

(Edit)
Oh wait, now I remember why, AF did not want to do TOCOAN because there was a SACD released by MFSL ten years ago. There goes that.

I've always wondered how some of these situations work. Undoubtedly, some acts DO have control over their musical destinies, and can or could dictate reissue releases (think Bob Seger). Others you just know have a lot of clout (think Elton John) had some SACD MC releases, but the whole catalog was never reissued in surround, which I believe was the original plan. Whether that means Elton *wasn't* that interested, or doesn't have the control we think he does, well...only Sir Elton knows. I mean, if someone who has sold as much as he has winds up with a reissue catalog halted midstream, what hope do most acts have?

Some reissues also probably make no financial sense for their labels. But if an artist really wants material reissued, and they have some money or influence--it's likely to happen (some have even reissued certain titles through their own companies).

If EW *did* have interest, it would also have to take AF to care, too. It's been over forty years, after all, and CD as a media ain't the powerhouse it once was, since the world went digital downloads and streaming. And as Jon has noted elsewhere, such music appeals to, on the main, an older audience, and only so many copies will be sold, and when current major acts can sell probably sell a million downloads in a week (Day? Days?) you can understand why major labels have scant interest in the older stuff.

ED :)

Definitely one of my favorites from Columbia.

One of those rare albums where almost every song is good (though I do agree that "Autumn" is rather sappy and doesn't really fit with the rest of the album). Love the quad mix. I haven't heard all the EW/JW quads yet, but I like this one a lot more than Shock Treatment and John Dawson Winter III. The SQ is by no means a bad decode, but it was an absolute joy to finally hear the Q8.

I have to give it a 10. Someone has got to release this...

Imagine an EW/JW/RD (Blue Sky) lossless box...I think there's actually more quad albums between those 3 than Chicago or BS&T (but maybe not Santana)

Last edited:
Definitely one of my favorites from Columbia. Ranking Columbia/Epic quad mixes would make for a nice thread as they are almost all excellent.

One of those rare albums where almost every song is good (though I do agree that "Autumn" is rather sappy and doesn't really fit with the rest of the album). Really great quad mix...I haven't heard all the EW/JW quads yet, but I like this one a lot more than Shock Treatment and John Dawson Winter III. The SQ is by no means bad but it was an absolute joy to finally hear the Q8.

I have to give it a 10. Someone has got to release this...

Imagine an EW/JW/RD (Blue sky) lossless box...I think there's actually more quad albums between those 3 than Chicago or BS&T (but maybe not Santana)

Derringer only had one Quad album on his own, correct? Edgar three and Johnny three or four?

Derringer only had one Quad album on his own, correct? Edgar three and Johnny three or four?

Off the top of my head:

Edgar:
TOCOAN
Shock treatment
W/ rick derringer

Johnny:
Still alive and well
Saints/sinners
JDW III

Derringer:
Spring fever
All American boy

Off the top of my head:

Edgar:
TOCOAN
Shock treatment
W/ rick derringer

Johnny:
Still alive and well
Saints/sinners
JDW III

Derringer:
Spring fever
All American boy

I'd drop a hundred on that box set no worry. Throw in some bonus tracks and I think many would.

Off the top of my head:

Edgar:
TOCOAN
Shock treatment
W/ rick derringer

Johnny:
Still alive and well
Saints/sinners
JDW III

Derringer:
Spring fever
All American boy

several of these are among my all-time favourite Quads!

afaik there are also unreleased Quad mixes of Johnny Winter's Self-titled album and Edgar Winter's White Trash Ft Jerry LaCroix album.

ps. don't forget Edgar's Jasmine Nightdreams was also released in Quad (available on DTS CD) the last three instrumental tracks on that are absolutely mind blowing surround sound imho!

Back