Quad LP/Tape Poll Aerosmith: Get Your Wings [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Wings"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ 32847, from 1974 (quad issued 1975).

Side 1:

Same Old Song and Dance
Lord of the Thighs
Spaced
Woman of the World

Side 2:

S.O.S. (Too Bad)
Train Kept A-Rollin'
Seasons of Wither
Pandora's Box

ED :)

7. Some goodies,but no spectacular tunes. Nice mix.

300344668002.jpg

The keeper is a solid cover of "Train Kept A-Rollin.' The rest is pretty good as are the mixes. A '7' darn close to '8' for me.

ED :)

Same Old Song and Dance Always gets me moving. Crank up the bass!

Question!

I was getting ready to do a conversion of the SQ and I noticed (again, cause I did notice the first time but I thought it was something wrong in my system)..

There is a 3 dB drop on the right channel in the middle of "Train kept a'rollin'" that starts a couple of minutes into the song and lasts for about 3 minutes-right thru the studio to "faux live" section of the song...

I have TWO copies of the SQ and it's on BOTH...can anyone confirm if it's there in the Q8 or is it just on the SQ?

(It's as if someone pulled the fader down on the right channel bus and then back up again!!!:mad:@::mad:@:)

Don't know what to do..I'll prolly match the volume on the right side when it dips cause if I leave it lower it'll affect the decoding... or was it that way originally?..don't think so...

I don't recall myself. Hummm.

But "Get Your Wings" is one of the coolest hard rock albums ever recorded. Steven Tyler's vocals are astounding on this album. They made "Train Kept a-Rollin'" their own song. Blew even the Yardbirds out of the water. Jeff Beck even knows this fact. I love it that Beck has joined them onstage several times over the years beginning in 1976.

I don't recall myself. Hummm.

But "Get Your Wings" is one of the coolest hard rock albums ever recorded. Steven Tyler's vocals are astounding on this album. They made "Train Kept a-Rollin'" their own song. Blew even the Yardbirds out of the water. Jeff Beck even knows this fact. I love it that Beck has joined them onstage several times over the years beginning in 1976.

Yes, it is;I LOVE early (ehem..drugged out..) Aerosmith !!! Great LP... (reminds me of the first online petitions which was that Aerosmith should go back to doing droogs cause their "clean" stuff SUCKS!!!!..."Nine lives" wasn't bad...I'm also part of a VERY small minority who really digs "Rock in a hard place" )

Didn't know about the Jeff Beck story...I'll have to look up some videos online if there are any...they DID DO the ULTIMATE version of "Train..."

See if you can check out that dropout....

:smokin

Been digging into a great Q8 conversion of this one for a few days now...

The Aerosmith quads are certainly exemplary, but it's worth noting that Rocks is the only one that seems to follow the rules of mixing for SQ. Toys In The Attic leaves a lot of silence coming from the rears, while this one has a lot of front-to-back instrument bleed. Some songs are certainly more discrete than others, but the rears in the majority of "Same Old Song And Dance" and "Train Kept-A-Rollin'" sound awfully like the fronts with no vocals. It's definitely real quad though as there are some discrete moments, but not the usual crazy separation most columbia mixes have. It's also worth noting that "Train" has a ton of ambience in the live section.

My favorites off this one are "Lord Of The Thighs", "Spaced", and "Seasons Of Wither" as the mixes are much more four-corner discrete. The opening of "Seasons" is particularly cool with the acoustic and electric guitar playing the same melody split front and back. "Spaced" is the one I really keep coming back to though...great song and killer mix.

I don't have the SQ disc of this one, but I imagine it's not the most accurate decode. As for the other two titles, the Toys SQ is the ultimate torture test, while Rocks decodes quite well.

All three are stellar content wise, though the Rocks quad mix is miles ahead of the other two IMO. This is still an easy 9 though.

Now, what do we have to do to get all 3 digitally released?????

Been digging into a great Q8 conversion of this one for a few days now...

The Aerosmith quads are certainly exemplary, but it's worth noting that Rocks is the only one that seems to follow the rules of mixing for SQ. Toys In The Attic leaves a lot of silence coming from the rears, while this one has a lot of front-to-back instrument bleed. Some songs are certainly more discrete than others, but the rears in the majority of "Same Old Song And Dance" and "Train Kept-A-Rollin'" sound awfully like the fronts with no vocals. It's definitely real quad though as there are some discrete moments, but not the usual crazy separation most columbia mixes have. It's also worth noting that "Train" has a ton of ambience in the live section.

My favorites off this one are "Lord Of The Thighs", "Spaced", and "Seasons Of Wither" as the mixes are much more four-corner discrete. The opening of "Seasons" is particularly cool with the acoustic and electric guitar playing the same melody split front and back. "Spaced" is the one I really keep coming back to though...great song and killer mix.

I don't have the SQ disc of this one, but I imagine it's not the most accurate decode. As for the other two titles, the Toys SQ is the ultimate torture test, while Rocks decodes quite well.

All three are stellar content wise, though the Rocks quad mix is miles ahead of the other two IMO. This is still an easy 9 though.

Now, what do we have to do to get all 3 digitally released?????

I got all three SQs of them in 96/24....

I am just now finally discovering some of Aerosmith's deep tracks. This is music I probably would not have cared for 10 years ago when it was all prog, all the time. There is something not quite right about this mix for me. Steven's vocals are a little buried. It is by no means terrible, just missing something to my ears. It has a great opening with the horses hooves to start "Back in the Saddle".

In the seventies my brother and his friend listened to both this and "Rocks". I was not really a fan until I got the SQ Quadraphonic LP's. While I would consider "Rocks" to be a slightly stronger album this for me is second. Fantastic surround decodes perfectly with the Composer.

Aerosmith's latter efforts pale in comparison. Toys In The Attic has "Sweet Emotion" but the album overall pales in comparison to this and to Rocks. Too bad that the first album didn't get the quad treatment as well.

I'm voting 9.

Back