Dylan in Surround - What's Out There?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
If you were having a real Dylan fan over, what SACD and track would you play them to show off the format, and the surround mix? Assume that you have all of the Dylan SACDs.

THANKS

Blood on the Tracks 'Tangled Up In Blue'

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest Blonde On Blonde and "Girl From the North Country" for a runner-up :)

Speaking of which, has anyone been able to buy a copy of "Bringing It All Back Home"? I've looked everywhere and can't find that title.

Clark

I had no problem finding BIABH...well, after a little local searching!:D

Either BOB or BOTT will work for a showcase...I know some don't like the vocal setup of the latter, but I've no real problem with it....the quality of the songs and performance are such that any Dylan fan would swoon at hearing some of these gems expanded and with more sonic detail...when my brother was over to the house to hear BOTT, he was struck--as I was--by the occasional flubs the backing band made, proving that the recording was done in haste and with little rehearsal. That's also part of its charm: there is an honesty and immediacy to this album that is really engaging, and very personal.

I'm still amazed they came up with a workable ANOTHER SIDE, given that the original stereo Lp was might-as-well-be-mono...that there was a decent amount of separation on the 5.1 was an unexpected delight.

But why others weren't done in 5.1 was disappointing....:(

ED:cool:

The decisions about which Dylan titles would appear in 5.1 may seem puzzling, but are based on availability of original multi-track tapes, condition of them, time & budget. I suspect a few 2.0 titles will be re-visited when the pieces fall into place down the road.

I'm sure you're right. The one that surprised me by not being in 5.1 was NASHVILLE SKYLINE, since of course that was a Quad Lp back in the day. Still, grateful for what we did get, and no complaints at this addy on the sound quality.

I hope you're right that some of these are revisited at some point, not least the later titles that most certainly have multi-tracks!

ED:cool:

JonUrban said:
If you were having a real Dylan fan over, what SACD and track would you play them to show off the format, and the surround mix? Assume that you have all of the Dylan SACDs.

THANKS

"When You Gonna Wake Up" from Slow Train Coming.

ClarkNovak said:
I'd like to suggest Blonde On Blonde and "Girl From the North Country" for a runner-up :)

Speaking of which, has anyone been able to buy a copy of "Bringing It All Back Home"? I've looked everywhere and can't find that title.

Clark
Girl From The North Country is STEREO ONLY (both versions). Don't think I would use it for a surround demo!
I WOULD use Simple Twist Of Fate.

Larry Geller said:
Girl From The North Country is STEREO ONLY (both versions).

:eek: Perhaps I dreamed it! Or maybe I just love that song so much... Oops.

Now where did I leave that mouth/foot removal gel?

Clark

I did a quick search but didn't really find anything on it. I'm just curious.

FWIW, I already have the following Dylan SACDs:

Slow Train (I really like the surround mix)
Blood on the Tracks (I really like, too)
Blonde on Blonde (I'm OK with it, but it's not my favorite)
Love and Theft (I didn't like the surround mix)

So based on that stuff, I'm just curious if anyone tinks BIABH has a decent surround mix. And if it is at all close in style to any of the above mentioned surround mixes.

Pretty much static in 4 corners....drums come from the rear right a lot IIRC. VERY BRIGHT for some strange reason....don't play it too loud.

daved64 said:
I like the 5.1 of Love and Theft. It fits the music.

Well... I wrote a short review of "Love and Theft" over at the Sound & Vision forums quite some time ago. I did manage to say some good things about it, but still I don't particularly like it. I'll admit, though, that it isn't the absolute worst mix. (That award possibly goes to the DVD-A of Sammy and The Wabos - "Hallelujah Live!".)

Also... Any other takes on "Bringing It All Back Home?"

daved64 said:
drums come from the rear right a lot IIRC.
I just listened to this last night. The drums are coming mostly dead-center. I was actually a tad more disappointed with this upon re-listening to it yesterday. There really isn't much going on, surround-wise. Some guitar work in the rears, but the majority is up front. I'm thinking this album was originally recorded on 4-track, so there probably wasn't much that could really be done with it.

Still, not as pointless as the surround "Another Side" though... :mad:@:

Note that "Gates Of Eden" is basically 5.1 mono(maybe a little ambience, but nothing more). That one was mono on the stereo Lp, and apparently whatevery they had wasn't enough to make it seem even stereophonic. Which makes ANOTHER SIDE, in spite of its limitations, worth having at least for finally being stereo.

ED

Hey guys!

I recently started digging into Bob Dylan's catalogue (as in, I gave the 2007 3-CD collection "Dylan" a few spins to get an overview). I only knew the obvious Dylan songs, and most of them only as cover versions, so it was overdue I checked him out. As you can imagine, I'm into the music.

I already knew there's quite a bit of his output available in multichannel, but I'm wondering if I have the full picture here. I found the following releases, all on SACD:

Another Side of Bob Dylan
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Bringing it all Back Home
Love and Theft
Slow Train Coming

Plus "Masked and Anonymous: Special Edition", disc 2, but it seems like all tracks on it are from releases listed above. In addition, I found the quad mix of "Desire" on OD's blog.

Am I overlooking something? DVD-A or DTS? How are the releases I found mix- and sound-wise? Do you guys recommend them? Does anybody know of any other quad conversions (could you PM me if they're available out there)?

Thanks!

Back