Quad LP/Tape Poll King, B.B.: Friends [QS/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Friends"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Command Quadraphonic CQD-40022, from 1974.

Side 1:

Friends
I Got Them Blues
Baby I'm Yours
Up at 5 a.m.

Side 2:

Phildadelphia
When Everything Else is Gone
My Song

ED :)

You know, I've had this one for years and can probably count on one hand the times I've listened to it. Just popped it in for the first time in ages specifically to add a review here and I've got to say, even though I'm still rolling through the first song (Friends), this is a nicely mixed ABC Quad! What's unusual is that the mix on the Q8 is very near how I like to lay out a Quad mix. Drums Fronts, bass all around. Lead vocals 95% to the front with some in the back but with backing vocals split wide in BL & BR. Guitars discrete in BL & BR with organ FL and conga FR for the title track. While I don't necessarily like extra percussion in the fronts; in this case it works. Moving into the second song, horns are nicely discrete split in the rears. "Philadelphia" is a bumpin' little number that's some pretty movin' music. The mix becomes a little unusual with the main electric bass front center, however back left has what I think can be labelled a "follow bass" meaning it's another electric bass following the bassline, however played slightly higher up the scale with some very funky Larry Graham style slap bass playing. Too bad they didn't put that back center as that'd really have filled out the mix. Vocals playfully bop between BL & BR on the one. I can dig it.

All in all, not a bad tape. I'd certainly listen to it again and I'm only the most casual of B.B. King fan. My tape is relatively minty but doesn't seem to have a whole lot of high end going on. It's not hissy though, so that's a bonus; just not a lot of clarity which ABC tapes are notorious for.

Good Music, Good Mix, Half-assed sonics. 7.... 7.5..... maybe an 8 if you push it.

Back