Carpenters - A Song For You - Quad LP??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I've found this auction on TradeMe (local auction site) which supposedly has a quad LP of A Song for You (not Close to You as mentioned)... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=559199811

I'll have to see if they post more pictures... could it actually be a QS (or SQ) version??

I've seen this thread about the A&M quad material -> https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/aandm.htm so I know it shouldn't exist...

But from this comment -> "A&M had announced this album was going to be released as a QS-encoded LP, along with three others. Of the listed records to be released in this format, only Joan Baez's "Come From The Shadows" actually made it to stores. I think the Carpenters would have sounded great in QS. Pity it never happened." in this thread ->
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?8645-Carpenters-A-Song-For-You-Q8

Maybe it was pressed in NZ?

Someone needs to ask them to put up more pics to prove one of those is quad, from all appearances they seem to be Oz or NZ pressings in stereo.

ED :)

Someone needs to ask them to put up more pics to prove one of those is quad, from all appearances they seem to be Oz or NZ pressings in stereo.

ED :)
FYI - I've already asked on the auction.

No reply yet...

FYI - I didn't get answer before the auction ended...so I didn't bid.

I suspect it wasn't legit anyway...

Looks like he did answer on the 8th:

"Oh Bugger.....I have messed this up....The quadraphonic lp is "A Song For You", not "Close To You". Must have been distracted when I was typing the auction up....If the bidder wants to withdraw their bid let me know...."

Looks like he did answer on the 8th:

"Oh Bugger.....I have messed this up....The quadraphonic lp is "A Song For You", not "Close To You". Must have been distracted when I was typing the auction up....If the bidder wants to withdraw their bid let me know...."

Yes - I also asked for pictures of the quad LP to be posted....& catalog number...

So, it's definitely A Song in QS, not close? If It's real, I'd love one. No markings in photo. I have both on Q8.

I remember seeing an ad, just before the first A&M quad releases hit the stores, that had "A Song For You" listed as a QS release, but the album cover would have been in the same format as Joan Baez's "CFTS". The ad went on to extoll the virtues of the QS system, and that more QS releases would follow.Four albums were shown; can't remember what the other two were. Funny how they got pressured into going to SQ on so many releases, before settling on CD-4.

Here's a picture:
Capture.JPG

Anyone seen any of these?

That appears to be an Australian pressing. I'm not sure if this one is QS or SQ, but obviously from the ad I saw back then, a QS master exists. This is probably from that master. I'd certainly like to hear it. The sticker that shows it's a 4 channel release looks like the same one I'd seen on other Australian quads.

That appears to be an Australian pressing. I'm not sure if this one is QS or SQ, but obviously from the ad I saw back then, a QS master exists. This is probably from that master. I'd certainly like to hear it. The sticker that shows it's a 4 channel release looks like the same one I'd seen on other Australian quads.
Most of the records I have with that sticker are QS - I might have a few Enoch Lights that are SQ.

FYI - Those stickers are used on New Zealand pressings also.

My concern is, has someone just put a quad sticker on a stereo album?

EDIT: There is an auction for this - so I'll try and get it.

Is there anything on the record label to indicate that it's quad? I would expect there would be, and the catalogue number would start with "QU" instead of "SP". Could you post a picture of the record label? Also, if you play the record through either a QS or Dolby Pro Logic II decoder, it'll be very apparent if it is QS.

Is there anything on the record label to indicate that it's quad? I would expect there would be, and the catalogue number would start with "QU" instead of "SP". Could you post a picture of the record label? Also, if you play the record through either a QS or Dolby Pro Logic II decoder, it'll be very apparent if it is QS.
Here is a picture of the label - looks promising...
:

Capturesong.JPG

Back