• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Marantz SQA-2B decoder interest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russells

I have a working (well it was working last time I used it) Marantz SQA-2B decoder. It was bought in 1975 to replace an SQA-2 but the 4140 amp with SQA-2 was stolen before I could change it.

I soldered the device into another non-Marantz quad circuit (I have the pin-outs) and used it - occasionally - for years without problem. I now have another SQ decoder so it is no longer required.

I have since desoldered it and cleaned up the contacts. It is thus not in new condition but it should work fine back in a Marantz amplifier or tuner with quad socket underneath.

The SQA-2B has a known ideosyncracy in that the rear signals are somewhat lower in amplitude than the front signals compared to SQA-2 outputs. This can be (and was) easily balanced by use of the front/back fader on the Marantz amp.

The surround logic in the SQA-2B is fine, however (since I last used it some years ago).

Note that my motive for posting this is not to sell it - it takes very little space - but to give some deserving Marantz quad enthusiast who just needs an SQA-2B an opportunity to make his system complete. Price can be easily negotiated.

Is anyone interested in it, as-is? I live in South Africa so postage may be a factor but shouldn't be too high.

My 4230 could use it, I never had a decoder for it. I'm paying off major car repairs for the next few months though......

I can use it if its still available - let me know?

Tony

I have a working (well it was working last time I used it) Marantz SQA-2B decoder. It was bought in 1975 to replace an SQA-2 but the 4140 amp with SQA-2 was stolen before I could change it.

I soldered the device into another non-Marantz quad circuit (I have the pin-outs) and used it - occasionally - for years without problem. I now have another SQ decoder so it is no longer required.

I have since desoldered it and cleaned up the contacts. It is thus not in new condition but it should work fine back in a Marantz amplifier or tuner with quad socket underneath.

The SQA-2B has a known ideosyncracy in that the rear signals are somewhat lower in amplitude than the front signals compared to SQA-2 outputs. This can be (and was) easily balanced by use of the front/back fader on the Marantz amp.

The surround logic in the SQA-2B is fine, however (since I last used it some years ago).

Note that my motive for posting this is not to sell it - it takes very little space - but to give some deserving Marantz quad enthusiast who just needs an SQA-2B an opportunity to make his system complete. Price can be easily negotiated.

Is anyone interested in it, as-is? I live in South Africa so postage may be a factor but shouldn't be too high.

I would love to finish off my Marantz 4240 i have restored, i even got hold of the Marantz remote control for it.
I tited to buy a decoder on line but it got really pricey and i aborted.
If there is any chance of you still having the decoader let me know i would gladly pay any shipping needed.
Scott

Is anyone interested in it, as-is? I live in South Africa so postage may be a factor but shouldn't be too high.[/QUOTE]

I would love to finish off my Marantz 4240 i have restored, i even got hold of the Marantz remote control for it.
I tited to buy a decoder on line but it got really pricey and i aborted.
If there is any chance of you still having the decoader let me know i would gladly pay any shipping needed.
Scott

I still have it. Postage to the USA is $72.00. What would you offer for the SQA-2B?

I still have it. Postage to the USA is $72.00. What would you offer for the SQA-2B?

I wasn't sure if you still had it on had so i kept looking.
I found a Marantz SQA-1 Quad SQ Adaptor Decoder and i bought it for $150
(that was pricey for me but i have wanted one since '75 when i got my first 4230)

This happens to me allot can't find an item i'm looking for and then i finally get one and then several show up.

Back