HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Well, he's still one of my fave guys out there, and I'm not that well off that I'd spend close to $100 for a deluxe set that I expect I'm going to hate - he still gets the benefit of the doubt for me though I gotta say it may be waning a touch...if he continues with this band and direction I may not buy the next deluxe set.

I know why people love it. And given the era and music I grew up with I feel like I should love it too, so it bugs me just a little that I don't. I suppose it's that so much of the stuff of his I like looks forward with some nods to the influences from the past whereas GfD and The Raven look a little too much to the past and don't have the newer innovative feel I enjoyed so much.

Makes me wonder a bit if these 5.1 remixes of KC Lizard, J Tull, Caravan etc don't have a bit of a double-edged sword to them - great to get refreshing takes on these but did they take his own music down a path that I don't like?

I for one, am glad that he's moving away from PT and more in the jazz prog vein of his predecessors - I'll give you that he may be feeling his way a bit with this new band but that is one of the things I happen to like about it. I think even greater things await should he continue down the road with this group of players. This may be his Lizard - who know what comes next - I sure hope it's his Larks Tongue!

Finally voted after a lot of listens. I ended up giving it a 7.

The sonics and mix are a very solid 10 - give it 11 if I were Spinal Tap. The content however brings up a few issues with me and that's why I tried to play the disc a lot and try to let it grow a bit before I voted. Most of the content is actually pretty good, some superb (like the title track) but it's the execution that bugs me. What I like(d) about PT was the unique sound and I think that is something that's missing on this recording. For a guy that has said he didn't want a "generic" sound it seems that is just what he's done here. I've the utmost respect for musicians and their instruments but if there ever was one I wanted to take the sledgehammer to it's the blasted Rhodes fake piano..hate it with a passion and anything more than a very small dose sends me reeling.

The musicianship on the record can't be questioned - they're all superb players and that's what he wanted I assume. But being technically good is not the be all and end all. Marco is an awesome drummer, but I think he doesn't know when to step back and keep it simple as well as Gavin does. Adam for me is almost everything I don't like - technically super but nary an original thing to offer. Again, all my personal taste and opinion...it's like a band of guys that want to show off but don't know when to shut up - like having 5 Jordan Rudess' in your band when 1 is more than enough.
Can't agree but that is what is good in a free society, diversity of opinion. I am still listening to this album at every opportunity, it has really taken a special place in my appreciation of music when I didn't really expect it to.

I've listened to this one a few times. First of all, I have to say that I have great respect for Steven Wilson supporting multi-channel music. The mix is a true surround mix that you don't have to strain to hear whether there is anything unique coming from the rear speakers as with many surround releases. I would give the surround mix a 9, only because I enjoy the occasional use of the surround to steer some sounds around the listening area.
As far as the songs, as they say, music is a matter of taste. And for me, I'm just not a big fan of progressive rock. The best way I can describe what the music reminded me of was that it was not what I'd call "melodic." It sounded more like something that would have been composed for a soundtrack of some sort of very dark, depressing movie.
So, overall, I'd give it a 7.

Wilson is clearly one of the most elite musicians in some time. I stumbled across Porcupine Tree a few years ago and haven't turned back. Yes, this disc is reference....

I've decided to buy this, purely for " Drive Home ". Which I think is superb. I like the title track & elements of other tracks. I know i'm not going to like a fair bit of this, but i'm hoping the 5.1 mix changes some of my views.

I've decided to buy this, purely for " Drive Home ". Which I think is superb. I like the title track & elements of other tracks. I know i'm not going to like a fair bit of this, but i'm hoping the 5.1 mix changes some of my views.

Well it's arrived.....just spinning now ! Intending to give it a good listen today....bear in mind, I don't like Prog Rock, but had to try out !

Well it's arrived.....just spinning now ! Intending to give it a good listen today....bear in mind, I don't like Prog Rock, but had to try out !

I will be very interested to hear your comments! My first listen was quite remarkable and one that I will remember for a long time: I found it impossible to take everything in, so much so that when I got to the end I knew I had heard something ground-breaking and extrodinary, but I had no idea what! It took me (as a Prog fan) another four or five listens to make any sense of it and I now view it as a reference disc. It's raised the bar by several notches imo.

I will be very interested to hear your comments! My first listen was quite remarkable and one that I will remember for a long time: I found it impossible to take everything in, so much so that when I got to the end I knew I had heard something ground-breaking and extrodinary, but I had no idea what! It took me (as a Prog fan) another four or five listens to make any sense of it and I now view it as a reference disc. It's raised the bar by several notches imo.

I really want to give this a good listen, for a day or two, before I come to any conclusions......

I really want to give this a good listen, for a day or two, before I come to any conclusions......

Just on my third listen, just wanted to comment on the audio options so far.....played DTS HD MA audio twice, find it a little too bright in places, and the soft vocals not high enough in the mix ?....just playing LPCM 5.1 option, and the immediate words that come to mind are, more controlled & balanced......

My opinion of this album just keeps getting stronger. And after scoring last minute tickets to his show in Boulder the other night, I'm even more impressed. This band is incredible and the album is an absolute classic.

What really gets me is that in my real world (not here on the internet), no one I know even knows who this guy is. I'll tell people I drove six+ hours each way to see him and they'll have a blank look like "who the hell is that??". It was great to be in a theater with a bunch of people who know and appreciate the talent this guy has. Great show and great album. And I was more impressed with Steven as a frontman than ever before. He talked to the audience a lot and seemed to really enjoy performing for us. Cracked me up when he came back out for the encore and explained that this was when most bands play their big hit and ask everyone to dance along. But he doesn't have a hit. So we got the old PT tune and it was great.

But for me, this disc is the best album in years and the production/sound quality is as good as it gets. I'd vote 10 again.

K

Agree with all you say....and, you're from Durango! Damn, lucky you. What a beautiful area.
My opinion of this album just keeps getting stronger. And after scoring last minute tickets to his show in Boulder the other night, I'm even more impressed. This band is incredible and the album is an absolute classic.

What really gets me is that in my real world (not here on the internet), no one I know even knows who this guy is. I'll tell people I drove six+ hours each way to see him and they'll have a blank look like "who the hell is that??". It was great to be in a theater with a bunch of people who know and appreciate the talent this guy has. Great show and great album. And I was more impressed with Steven as a frontman than ever before. He talked to the audience a lot and seemed to really enjoy performing for us. Cracked me up when he came back out for the encore and explained that this was when most bands play their big hit and ask everyone to dance along. But he doesn't have a hit. So we got the old PT tune and it was great.

But for me, this disc is the best album in years and the production/sound quality is as good as it gets. I'd vote 10 again.

K

Well, I've listened to this solid, for the last two days, and these are my conclusions, likes and dislikes. More positives than negatives about the music, but as I've said, i'm not a Prog Rock fan, although, I wouldn't say this is out and out Prog Rock.
It's an interesting opening, as we're transported on a funky psychedelic galactic space ride, to the planet " Luminol " ! I love the funky bass line throughout this song, and the main dramatic staccato like keys / hammond throughout. Then i'm taken by surprise by commander SW's first vocals.
I know Prog Rock is about light & shade, but I find the " busyness " of it too hectic. One definite negative for me, is the drummers style throughout. I detest it in places, and it spoils parts of songs. ( more on that later ) One major positive for me is SW's vocals, they have a gentle sweet relaxing tonality to them. They remind me of the " Jellyfish " guys vocals & harmonies. ( I hear similarities in their music too )

....more to come, don't want to lose what I've typed.....

....i'm just listening through again, as I type, I really do love the sweet gentle vocals of SW, backed by the cool hypnotic piano & harmonies, before we go off tangent to a more dramatic ending, which I don't dislike. " Science Fiction " comes to mind when listening to this, a sort of " Space Opera ". Love those keys / Hammond phrases, as we finish with sharp drum beats e.t.c.
Well, I had a great time on planet " Luminol", but I think it's time to " Drive Home " back to Earth, to face my demons & fears. The next 7 minutes or so, is some of the most gorgeous beautiful eargasmic music I've heard in a long time ! The melody, vocals & harmonies, are to die for ! I'm not sort of too keen on the opening " Greensleeves " type of notes, sounds like something from the 14th century. ( Perhaps, SW, is a Dr. Who like figure, being transported from the planet " Luminol " to 14th century Earth ! ? ) My imagination, is really going places today !
On first listen, I did wonder if the Pink Floyd like guitar solo ending was too long, but for me the real ( sad & disappointing criticism ) is having the drumming ending involved. This song doesn't need it ! It's a song of beauty, that needs a beautiful ending ( not building with the hectic pace of the drum beats ) Let the guitar & keys, soar on their own. As my idol would say, " Let it simmer. Let it bathe in the moonlight ". For me, putting the drum in, and the style of drumming, is criminal, because it almost ruins, what is a " masterpiece. "
I need a rest & a drink....with " The Holy Drinker ", after all that ! I think we've all known one of them ( if not one ourselves ! ? ) There was a lot going on at planet " Luminol " but I think my moment spent with the Drinker, has left me in a drunken stupor, figuring out all the complexities ! This really has everything you could think of ! ( good & bad ! ) I really do need to get over my hangover.....back later !

.....i'm back, just trying to sober up ! " The Holy Drinker ", really was a rollercoaster ride ! Lots of high's, a few lows....lets start with the latter....I really don't like the welcome into the establishment, that the Drinker frequents...like some crazy jazz club, gone mad ! The opening notes remind me of some kind of '70's TV series soundtrack....but thankfully the rock act for tonight, are about to take to the stage...enter commander SW and his starship band. ( If only he could have lost " Animal " from " The Muppets, on the way back from planet "Luminol" ! )
I really like the opening languid lazy rock style vocals from commander SW on this, and the latter " eastern " vibe feel. His toying with the Holy Drinker, before he banishes him to his rightful place...HELL !!....his going to meet many people on the way....The Phantom Of The Opera, playing the " March to Hell "....before finally being banished into the night, fed to the wolves !
As I find myself, stumbling in the Black forest, ( thankful that I escaped the Holy Drinker's clutches. ) guided only by the light of the " two moons of Luminol ", a single Raven momentarily blocks it's light. You could hear a " Pin Drop "....but in the distance, I hear a choir beckoning....

Last edited:
Stunning in every possible way! Can't fault it, and on this carrier format, it truly shines. 10/10.

My only query is around why the instrumentals are 2.0 only. Surely, if the tracks have all been mixed in 5.1, could the instrumentals not have been derived from these? Disc capacity can't be an issue either.

By no means a complaint, but it would've been amazing to have those in 5.1.

Now looking forward to seeing Steven and the band at the Albert Hall in a few weeks :D

Now looking forward to seeing Steven and the band at the Albert Hall in a few weeks :D

I'll take my wife on a weekend journey from Sweden to London and it "happened" to be this very weekend :eek:

Steven Wilson has tweeted about some new material being performed and a few surprises (guest artists?) thrown in - really looking forward to it!

I'll take my wife on a weekend journey from Sweden to London and it "happened" to be this very weekend :eek:

Steven Wilson has tweeted about some new material being performed and a few surprises (guest artists?) thrown in - really looking forward to it!

Wow

I'm not sure what other shows he may be doing so I may have to wait 'til next time :( I'll be looking forward to hearing from my mate Russell who would've gone no matter what natural disaster may have forsaken all around him. A true prog believer since I first met him nearly 40 years ago

Back