Moody Blues Boxset with 5.1 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be great for Moodies fans but personally I caution myself and think back to the first time we were told of 5.1 surround mixes from this legendary group. What we ended up getting were poorly mixed 4.0 SACDs. For me this still remains as one of the worst deceptions that the record industry ever perpetrated in the name of surround. In fairness I will admit that I only bought 2 of those titles (Question of Balance and On The Threshold of a Dream) so I don't know what the other titles sound like. But after buying those 2 I just could not stand the thought of wasting anymore money of the series.

Yeah to me, I cannot (at this point) justify paying that amount of money for 3 DVD-A discs of 6 Surround Mixes of Moody Blues albums that I already have.

That could be great for Moodies fans but personally I caution myself and think back to the first time we were told of 5.1 surround mixes from this legendary group. What we ended up getting were poorly mixed 4.0 SACDs. For me this still remains as one of the worst deceptions that the record industry ever perpetrated in the name of surround. In fairness I will admit that I only bought 2 of those titles (Question of Balance and On The Threshold of a Dream) so I don't know what the other titles sound like. But after buying those 2 I just could not stand the thought of wasting anymore money of the series.

There was nothing wrong with the original quad mixes that flat transfers and sensible mastering wouldn't have fixed. There never was a discussion about remixing the albums, since Mr. Hayward liked those mixes and approved them for the SACD reissues. Unfortunately, the resulting sound, a bit harsh and as noted, 'manipulated' into 5.1 (or whatever) was not up to the quality of the original tapes, of that we can be sure. This is the kind of box diehard fans will probably buy, and while I dig the guys a lot, I've got great sound for their catalog from various sources, and wouldn't trust this collection to have that quality, to be honest.

ED :)

Probably not..but even if they are, that won't matter when the mixes are as dubious as these are. Better than not having them, of course, but unfutzed reissues of the 4.0's are what's really needed.

I got the CD/DVD of Days Of Future Past and was disappointed with the surround mix and the sound. I did not buy the others.

$300? You're better off with the 6 Q4's I'd say.

I am surprised to hear that some of you were disappointed with the 4.1 SACDs. For those of us that had never heard the quad reels, the multichannel SACDs were a godsend compared to the stereo versions.

Which is why you need to hear the difference(s), all the more pity that the quad reels were not simply transferred 'as is' with a minimum of tweaking.

Regardless, there was nothing wrong with the stereo versions, beyond the fact that someone in the Moodies camp felt compelled to remix DOFP to stereo while they were also remixing it to quad, thus relegating the original stereo mix to the archives (it did turn up here and there on vinyl and perhaps tape reissues, but you'd have to play the record/tape to be sure it's the original mix). Those stereo mixes were very good, IMO, and improved upon most of the time with the quads. But typical of modern mastering, those involved couldn't resist tinkering enough to get our notice. As I said, the reissues were better than nothing at all, but those familiar with the original, unfutzed mixes heard the difference. The curse of old age, ya know...:mad:@:

Despite Steve Hoffman's disinterest in quad sound, he and guys like Bill Inglot would at least do their best to get the sound right, which was not done here. No way those original tapes are attenuated in the way they are on the SACD, leaving out the attempt at a 5.1 'manipulation' which was unnecessary to start with. I guess no one in the Moodies camp gave thought to the notion that many buyers of these reissues might be familiar with the quad mixes. In the event, I still give Mr. Hayward credit for getting them out, just wish the sound had been more natural.

As for DOFP, it lacks some overdubs and that couldn't be helped. With today's technology, perhaps some of the missing parts could be 'flown in' to make a fuller mix, if not one closer to the original. Obviously the band felt the original stereo mix was a bit bassy and murky (which it was), and wanted that fixed. But for the gain in clarity and overall dynamic range, one loses a bit of the impact of the original, such as it was. The perfect DOFP package would have the original and remix stereo and of course the original quad mix unfutzed, along with the dedicated single mixes of "Nights" and "Cities." AFAIK, the edit of "Tuesday" was from the stereo mix summed to mono, as were the UK mono Lp's.

• A replica full-colour Tour Poster and Discography
• A replica Threshold Press Pack containing photos and memorabilia
• An exclusive Timeless Flight fabric patch
how come those not includes replica of concert ticket and no scarf?
i'm disappointed

The mixes on DOFP and 7th Sojourn on the DTS discs are very good in my opinion, they are the original quad mixes, No? I usually prefer hearing those to the 2 SACDs, of which... Yes, I bought the entire series. John

I wish Universal would release a box set like this.. but with ALL the 5.1 Elton mixes!

I don't care if they are DVD-V's (as I suspect these Moodies will be) and could care less if they come with scarves, marbles, fabric patches, 9-inch platform shoes, Elton 70's glasses! lets just have all (11..?!) of them.. especially the 4 that never made it to SACD!

oh and a Boxset of all the Steely Dan albums that got mixed in 5.1 for SACD but never released - that would be amazing too!

in fact, anything that Universal mixed into 5.1 for SACD 8 to 10-ish years ago that never made it out would be wonderful at this point!

Hi
Just Curious I have the DTS Of DOFP i was wondering what your take of that mix was?

Except for a touch of noise reduction, it's got pretty good sound and is the original quad mix. That mix was hampered a bit by the fact that not all the overdubs were available for all the tracks. A few tracks were also extended for the Q8 to even out the sides (or so that's what I've always thought). But unless you're very familiar with the original stereo Lp mix, you probably won't notice what's missing, as the stereo remix is the one you find on CD reissues of the album.

Back