Involve encoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsrstereo

Since 2002/2003
Here's a question for Chucky:

I really love my new SM decoder, and now I wonder: Will you ever produce an Involve 5.1-to-2 channel encoder for sale to us QQ members to play with?

I want one.

John

I would be interested in this as well. probably moreso for encoding 4.0. I have some future plans which include being able to encode QS or SQ on the fly.

I thought you guys would never ask!

Just so happens 2 qq forum members have a prototype version, Bob Romano and Rustyandi (Ron). We are about to produce the first batch of encoders BUT the first lot will be released in a stick on relabeled version of the decoder plastic box. Final encoder box will be metal (I finally get my way).

IMPORTANT NOTE
We will allow all owners of the surround master encoder to release music/ other content in the INVOLVE format with NO LICENSE FEE PAYABLE. The only catch is that all material released in INVOLVE format must have our INVOLVE logo on it.

We really want to encourage free usage of the format.

Please note the encoder is switchable between INVOLVE / QS encode. Please refer to previously documented test results published in this forum.

Price ----for the proto plastic box unit $495.
----for the final metal cased unit estimate $695

I know the price is higher than the decoder but the manufacture quantities are considerably lower. On the up side NO LICENSE FEES!!!!!!!
The will be available is say 1 month.

Thanks to jsrstereo for starting this thread.

Regards

Chucky

Also, I must ask. Will there be a computer software Encoder?

Hi Q8

Not for a while as it is tricky to program the Hilbert transforms (we need more brain power)

Regards

chucky

Hello All

Just an update. Work has started on a "pro" version of the encoder. We have made up a bunch of encoder boards but we are reserving them for the final completed unit.

I suppose the big news is we have decided to make this encoder to full professional specifications with the following broad features (all subject to change upon review and comments from QQ members)

1 Metal rack mount enclosure, (non rack domestic case also option)
2 Balanced/ isolated XLR inputs/ outputs
3 RCA inputs/ outputs
4 Full VU metering of all channels – switchable input/ output
5 Level presets
6 Encode options INVOLVE/ QS / SQ
7 Decode options INVOLVE/ INVOLVE SQ
8 Option for instant encode/ decode so that discrete recordings can be “remastered" in INVOLVE (we claim the surround sounds better after INVOLVE processing revealing hidden details)
9 Output level adjusts on all channels.

At this stage HDMI is still in the too hard bin as it also requires a $10,000 license fee and we are pushed to the limit at the moment! In addition it will delay the completion of the unit significantly. Any suggestions?

The down side is that the unit will have a much higher price tag. Recording studios and owners of the encoder/ decoder unit are issued will a free license to record in INVOLVE format with the only condition that they must display out logo on the recording. Please remember a surround recording encoded in INVOLVE will sound exactly like stereo when played back on stereo equipment, but full surround when played with the INVOLVE decoder.

I am hoping for initial prototypes in July and I welcome your views and ideas.

Regards

Chucky

Me Again

Forgot to mention the unit will incorporate a full pre amplifier with provision for 3 auxiliary inputs and Bluray.

Regards

chucky

Hi All
Its been slow progress but good things come to those who wait. We will release "shortly" two versions of the studio Encoder/ decoder. The first one is the one just intended for the recording studio - with balanced XLR inputs/ outputs. The second is a top end consumer model that will also include a MM and MC phono pre amp, Involve QS/ Involve SQ, encode and decode, remote controller.

I have attached a recent mechanical layout of the front/ rear of the box - please note the big knob is multifunctioned allowing the user to control volume, bass, treble, balance, aux 1, 2, 3, 4 all on the one knob.

Patience..........

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• VAencoderView1.jpg
    VAencoderView1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 486
Those sound sexy. Maybe I should get a second job.

Hi Robert

Yes it does have a pass mode AND a separate mode that encodes and then decodes the 5.1 - this allows the user to compare in real time the original discrete 5.1 to the encode/ decode version. Our studies have shown a slight preference to the encode / decode version - see attached report.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky, will the consumer version also have a by pass mode, in case one wants to listen to the unaltered stereo or 5.1 mix?

Attachments

• Involve vs Discreet Report.doc
    30 KB · Views: 232
Hi kap'n krunch

I have had some helpful email correspondence with Oxforddickie but he is in no way associated with our company. Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of listening to his decode files.

Regards

Chucky

Just as a bystander...is Oxford Dickie involved on this?

To me he has the widest knowledge regarding SQ... his script is the best, hands down...

Hi Robert

Yes it does have a pass mode AND a separate mode that encodes and then decodes the 5.1 - this allows the user to compare in real time the original discrete 5.1 to the encode/ decode version. Our studies have shown a slight preference to the encode / decode version - see attached report.

Regards

Chucky
Hi Chucky,

Thank you for the reply, sounds very interesting.

Hi Robert

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky, two additional questions. Is the by pass fully analog, or does it only passes by the Involve part and still does an a/d and d/a conversion? It may be a strange question, but sometimes I see manufacturers mentioning analog by pass in their specs, so I assume that a digital by pass exists as well? Or perhaps it is only marketing speak.

You also mention that the new unit will have a much higher price tag. Which range are we talking about, 1,5 or 2 times the $695 that you mentioned earlier, or is it too soon to say anything about this?

Thanks again for your reply.

Hi Robert

By the way I am a fellow Dutchman (van Dongen).

The 5.1 bypass mode is fully analogue - in fact direct connect. I am also not sure why anyone would do a a/d then d/a.

The price tag will be closer to $2k as it includes encode/ decode/ full pre amp including MM and MC phono with remote control. The basic Surround Master is still the cheapest option - with no loss in performance if you already have facilities to control level etc.

Please note the BASIC encoder is already available in the existing simple plastic box for $650 ($600 to QQ members) this includes a full license to record for distribution music encoded in INVOLVE stereo compatible format. It encodes in QS or the Intelligent INVOLVE formats.

Regards

Chucky

Please note the BASIC encoder is already available in the existing simple plastic box for $650 ($600 to QQ members) this includes a full license to record for distribution music encoded in INVOLVE stereo compatible format. It encodes in QS or the Intelligent INVOLVE formats.

Regards

Chucky

---------------------

Hi Chucky: Glad to know the encoder is now available. If possible, please post the owner manual, or provide link. Do you have any special ordering instructions?

Thanks from John R

Hi Robert

By the way I am a fellow Dutchman (van Dongen).

The 5.1 bypass mode is fully analogue - in fact direct connect. I am also not sure why anyone would do a a/d then d/a.

The price tag will be closer to $2k as it includes encode/ decode/ full pre amp including MM and MC phono with remote control. The basic Surround Master is still the cheapest option - with no loss in performance if you already have facilities to control level etc.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

Hartelijke groeten vanuit Nederland :)

Thanks for the reply. I will see who things turn out with the different units before I make a decision. It turns out my amps have a double set of inputs, at least on the stereo amp, so perhaps the Surround Master might be the best option after all. I only have to switch the cables on my 3 channel amp.

I should have checked this first :)

Hi Robert

Ik wou dat ik kon spreken beter Nederlands, toen ik vijf jaar oud was ik koud spreek vloeiend Nederlands, ik worstel nu. Graag tot ziens in mijn eigen land op een dag.

No hurry on the decision!

Regards

chucky

Hi Chucky,

Hartelijke groeten vanuit Nederland :)

Thanks for the reply. I will see who things turn out with the different units before I make a decision. It turns out my amps have a double set of inputs, at least on the stereo amp, so perhaps the Surround Master might be the best option after all. I only have to switch the cables on my 3 channel amp.

I should have checked this first :)

Back