Involve encoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Thank you for your comments, we really do take notice and feed your suggestions into our designs.

In answer to your specific questions:

1 Consumer model will look almost identical to the studio unit except the rear panel with the transformer isolated XLR inputs and outputs is replaced with MM and MC phono inputs and a HDMI connector

2 Consumer market target price is about the same at $2k ...ish.

3 "the buttons at the front LF-RF" are not buttons they are level adjust knobs to satisfy all those who had issues of establishing the right level mix to the centers and rears.

4 The new Involve logo was inspired by the great work Swinburne University of Melbourne did for us with the development of the new Y speaker profile we use with our new flagship technology "Total Perspective" (see the coming new technology thread). The 4 sides of the surround is indicating "surround" - I hope (it works in my pea brain).

5 Now for the curly question of will it have Involve/ QS/ SQ decode. Dunno yet as we are again having internal discussions about this my advice from our marketing types is NO SQ as we do not wish to promote this - our push is Involve encode. I personally do not agree and am advocating having SQ. We shall see. It certainly will never happen on the studio unit.

Regards

Chucky

There are quite a lot of SQ LPs out in the wild! I'm listening to mine (now up to 20 and I intend to increase that as I find them) via DD Pro-LogicII Music (& Regar Planar 3), and so I'm really interested in SQ, plus I want to get hold of some QS albums. Keep us posted on the units development.

Thanks

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Remember, we also have our version of the Surround Master that has SQ/QS/ Involve and is cheaper than the new high end surround pre amp.

Regards

Chucky

There are quite a lot of SQ LPs out in the wild! I'm listening to mine (now up to 20 and I intend to increase that as I find them) via DD Pro-LogicII Music (& Regar Planar 3), and so I'm really interested in SQ, plus I want to get hold of some QS albums. Keep us posted on the units development.

Thanks

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Remember, we also have our version of the Surround Master that has SQ/QS/ Involve and is cheaper than the new high end surround pre amp.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky -
What is the latest info about the preamp? When will it be released? How much will it cost?
Thanks -

Hi Duncan

The studio "pro" unit will be released first and then the consumer/ preamp/ encoder/ decoder. I really think it will be between July - September given our current workload. Price is looking at around $2k.

Regards

chucky

Hi Chucky -
What is the latest info about the preamp? When will it be released? How much will it cost?
Thanks -

Hello,

1st post here, as I couldn't register before...So it's the 1st time I can see the pics and I love it !!
Will you have a remote control for the pro version ? It would be really nice, as I'll have to buy this one with my active speakers ;)
I don't see also a 4.1 option in front : only 4ch and 5.1...and I have a 4.1 config. Maybe in this case 4ch choice + connect the sub through rca input ?
Thanks.

ps : I'm from France and will probably be the 1st to buy this one...(don't know anyone here who's interested in quad sound, it's a shame...)

Hi Yucca

Welcome to the forum!

The pro and commercial unit both have remote control. An 80 Hz low pass sumated bass output is available permanently for both 4.1 and 5.1 modes.

Regards

Chucky

Hello,

1st post here, as I couldn't register before...So it's the 1st time I can see the pics and I love it !!
Will you have a remote control for the pro version ? It would be really nice, as I'll have to buy this one with my active speakers ;)
I don't see also a 4.1 option in front : only 4ch and 5.1...and I have a 4.1 config. Maybe in this case 4ch choice + connect the sub through rca input ?
Thanks.

ps : I'm from France and will probably be the 1st to buy this one...(don't know anyone here who's interested in quad sound, it's a shame...)

Hi Chucky,

Thank you for the help with my order for the Surround Master SQ. I can't wait to get my hands on it & run some of my LPs through it.

I have a brief and, perhaps, silly question about the Involve coding. Some of my friends in the audio world used to (probably still do) do a lot of ambisonics recording/encoding as they felt that it gave wider sound fields, even when played through standard stereo kit. They would use it to enhance some channels that way; choirs for examples. Would you say that this is also true of your encoding? I have been looking at ways of adding width to some instruments and am wondering whether your encoder might be an option.

Thank you,

Alaric.

Hi Robert

But...................

Considering you are a fellow Dutchman and your suggestion has real merit. We could software preset the bottom crossover frequency to your desired frequency upon order.

The problem is that we have all the electronics and case mechanics finalised. Personally I would prefer the bottom sub crossover at 30/ 40 Hz. Our tests indicate we can directionalise music down to 30 Hz contrary to the 80 Hz lie.

Regards

Chucky

Alright, thanks :)

Hi Alaric

I am in a NO kinda mood today!

Unfortunately for you Involve encode does nothing to add or delete from the image - that is the way we designed it.

BUT................

Our TSS (Two Speaker Surround) mode can with say 80% of listeners do what you require. Some listeners (Me) report some slight tonal variations compared to the original. The whole point of this part of the package is to put sounds around your head with 2 speakers, to achieve this you need to pull some tricks out of your hat!

Regards

Chucky

Hi Chucky,

Thank you for the help with my order for the Surround Master SQ. I can't wait to get my hands on it & run some of my LPs through it.

I have a brief and, perhaps, silly question about the Involve coding. Some of my friends in the audio world used to (probably still do) do a lot of ambisonics recording/encoding as they felt that it gave wider sound fields, even when played through standard stereo kit. They would use it to enhance some channels that way; choirs for examples. Would you say that this is also true of your encoding? I have been looking at ways of adding width to some instruments and am wondering whether your encoder might be an option.

Thank you,

Alaric.

Hi again Chucky,

That's what I thought. I will see it I can afford your normal version when I budget up for the next recording session. I have been using tied mic's and alike but would love to try encoded stuff. Thank you for that information.

Sorry for putting you in a bad mood; I am very grateful for everything you have done and are doing - it is so cool to find people still trying to push boundaries (even if they are vintage boundaries).

Thank you again,

Alaric.

Hi Robert

But...................

Considering you are a fellow Dutchman and your suggestion has real merit. We could software preset the bottom crossover frequency to your desired frequency upon order.

The problem is that we have all the electronics and case mechanics finalised. Personally I would prefer the bottom sub crossover at 30/ 40 Hz. Our tests indicate we can directionalise music down to 30 Hz contrary to the 80 Hz lie.

Regards

Chucky
Hi Chucky, thanks, that is a very good offer. My speakers are XTZ 99.26 which go to around 45Hz. Speakers are set to large in my player and I have my front speaker output connected high level to my sub, with a x-over of 55Hz

Hi Alaric

Not in a bad mood!!!!!!

Just confused (old age, senility etc). If you just want to experiment with encoding in Involve format (or QS) a cheaper way is to order our basic encoder at $695, its no frills but performance is the same. If you meant recording in TSS format then yes it a purchase of the standard SM.

Regards

Chucky

Hi again Chucky,

That's what I thought. I will see it I can afford your normal version when I budget up for the next recording session. I have been using tied mic's and alike but would love to try encoded stuff. Thank you for that information.

Sorry for putting you in a bad mood; I am very grateful for everything you have done and are doing - it is so cool to find people still trying to push boundaries (even if they are vintage boundaries).

Thank you again,

Alaric.

Hi Chucky,

As we can no-longer get Quad headphones, something on my wish list is a box that takes in 5.1 Analogue and/or HDMI and encodes it into a reasonable pseudo-surround for stereo headphones, so it comes across like the old dummy head recordings. As you guys are wizards with algorithms and you've the Involve units.......

Cheers

Duncan

Hi DuncanS

Err yep, actually doing the headphone thing is heaps easier than via TSS and speakers. All we need to do is DELETE a lump of software!

So if any one wants the TSS mode converted to headphone Involve surround - just return the unit and we will do a FREE update. Or when ordering a Surround Master just specify Headphone surround in the order instead of TSS.

Thanks for the idea.

Regards

Chucky
Hi Chucky,

As we can no-longer get Quad headphones, something on my wish list is a box that takes in 5.1 Analogue and/or HDMI and encodes it into a reasonable pseudo-surround for stereo headphones, so it comes across like the old dummy head recordings. As you guys are wizards with algorithms and you've the Involve units.......

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Jsrstereo

Actually the cheapo encoder is only a limited release trial thing prior to the pro encoder/ decoder and we have not done a formal users manual. I think Overture (Dave the Bitch) has written something. I will prompt him and if so get him to post it on this forum.

Regards

Chucky

Hey Chucky

Can you give us a link for a look at the owner's manual for the $695 basic encoder?

thanks from John

Back