DVD Audio Extractor Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkubuzz

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi, Im currently converting my DVD concerts and other DVDs to flac so I can listen to them wherever i want.

Question, how does DVD Audio Extractor convert 5.1 or 5.0 DTS tracks to Stereo? Does it do good job?

I assume tht DTS tracks are better than Dolby Stereo in Resolution, so Im converting them to 48/24

Or should I just take the 48/16 bit stereo tracks? would it make any difference?

I also have so Hi Rez 5. Files I want to have in stereo, so I relly need a good idea for downmixing to stereo (blasphemy!):yikes

thaks

I'd stick to the original stereo tracks provided they were properly mixed and mastered.

yeah, but when there is no Stereo TRack? or the track is only Dolby Digital?

Wouldnt it be better to get the higher resolution files than the dulby?

A downmix is always going to bea compromise, but if you really, really must do it then use the following:
Drop all into a multichannel capable host, such as Cubendo, SoundFrge, Vegas or whatnot.
Reduce the level of the faders for L,R,Ls,Rs by -6dB
Reduce the level of the centre channel by 09dB
Reduce the LFE by at least -15dB, maybe even off.
Set L & Ls to Left Channel Out
Set R & Rs to right out
Set Centre to phantom centre (central position)
If used, set LFE to the same.
Render out - check carefully for clipping or oversaturation, and if this happens drop all by the same ratio until it works.

Interesting. I use DVD Audio Extractor a lot, and in recent years have only ripped the number of channels as per the original; I'm definitely not confident in creating a better stereo mix than one provided, even in the case of a DTS 5.1 versions Dolby Digital 2.0. To experiment in this area, I'd be leaning towards ripping as per the original (ie 5.1) then playing around with playback settings to collapse the 5.1 to 2.0; and see how it sounds... while keeping to originals... hmm.

the thing is I want to rip them to play them on my car (stereo only, but a good one), and somtiemes there is only a Dolby Digital Stereo Mix and DTS 5.1, which clearly sounds better and Hi would liek to play thos 48/24 files on it.

Stick to what Neil sez...
Anyway, on top of what he says, if I were to downmix a 5.1 mix to Stereo I'd change only one thing;
I'd make a Stereo pair of the Rears and use a "Stereo image widener/enhancer"(or however it's called-I have that in Logic, and yes, it's gonna mess with the phase), so it's farther "apart"...
But that's just me...I'm not a very sane person...sometimes...

:mad:@:

Back