DVD/DTS Poll Reeder, Mark - five point one [DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Mark Reeder - Five Point One

• 10 Great Mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003

Attachments

• cover_200b.png
    cover_200b.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 269
When I saw the promotional material for this album, I was very excited to hear it. And once my copy arrived, I wasn't disappointed. Mark Reeder is a bit of an unsung hero. He was Factory Records man in Berlin in the late 70s and ended up staying out there, during which time he helped fashion the techno scene as well as establishing his own label and bringing such superstar DJ's like Paul van Dyk to the fore. He also became well known for his own production and remixes and it's these that we find on this album.

The packaging is clean and simple, housing 1x DVD and 2x CDs. The 2 CDs contain regular stereo versions of all the remixes whilst the DVD presents them all in 5.1. Each track has been remixed by Mark in 5.1 and is presented on the DVD with accompanying video's or stills. Favourites of mine include Bad Lieutenant's 'Twist of Fate' and Sam Taylor-Wood's version of 'I'm in Love With a German Filmstar' with the Pet Shop Boys, as well as Mark's great remix of Depeche Mode's 'Sweetest Perfection'.

There really isn't a duff track on here and it's a great package. The CDs contain a few more mixes than the DVD, so they're not completely redundant additions for the 5.1 connoisseur.

I gave it a 9, with 1 point being dropped because it's only available in Dolby Digital. DTS was considered, so Mark tells me, but proved prohibitively expensive, and as this was a project funded by Mark himself, it was decided to keep it at the minimum DVD standard. That said, the sonics are as good as I'd want from a DD mix :)

I did an interview with Mark over at my blog, if anyone is interested...

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/?p=2011

The packaging is really nice on this... I like the fold out design & heavy plastic slipcase.

The mixes are great. & The videos or stills work really well. There are a total for 22 5.1 mixes!!!! So you're getting a great value package here...

A couple of minor issues though:

On my player it seems to stop "Play All" at about track 11.

The authoring has put each track in separate "title" rather than chapter.. so you don't see the disc remaining time etc....

You have to manually select the alternate mixes (for tracks where there are two mixes)... There is no way to play them all...at least that I've found.

Depeche Mode fans (i'm one of those) get a 5.1 reimix of Sweetest Perfection also (y)

On that basis LK, I need to give this another listen (I only gave it a quick skip through when I first got it and wasn't totally knocked out by it, have to say..) :eek:

Its not going to be everyone's cup of tea...

If I was cynical I'd say they're (now here's a technical term) dooff-dooff re-mixes.

But hey - they're in 5.1 and done pretty well!!!!

I gave it a 9, with 1 point being dropped because it's only available in Dolby Digital. DTS was considered, so Mark tells me, but proved prohibitively expensive, and as this was a project funded by Mark himself, it was decided to keep it at the minimum DVD standard. That said, the sonics are as good as I'd want from a DD mix :)

I did an interview with Mark over at my blog, if anyone is interested...

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/?p=2011

I'd dearly love to know why adding a simple DTS stream is "prohibitively expensive".

I'd dearly love to know why adding a simple DTS stream is "prohibitively expensive".

Yes, I've never understood this line of reasoning!? Does it cost more money to produce a DTS stream? Are there onerous licensing costs associated with using DTS?

I've suspected that some of these authoring houses (the guys that Universal UK use for their Deluxe Editions are one of the main culprits) are either unaware of the benefits of DTS over DD, or just don't know how to make a DTS DVD..!?!?

The mind boggles :mad:@:

On my player it seems to stop "Play All" at about track 11.

The authoring has put each track in separate "title" rather than chapter.. so you don't see the disc remaining time etc....

You have to manually select the alternate mixes (for tracks where there are two mixes)... There is no way to play them all...at least that I've found.

Mine starts to mis-track on track 9, then by track 10 gives up trying. Cannot even select a song from the second page. Hey Lizard, maybe its a southern hemisphere thing. Looks like this one going back. Players used: Denon 3910 and Oppo 980.

I was having a butchers at what surround releases had slipped my attention, recently, and this one Popped up.

Yes its a Dolby mix.

But it's one of the better ones in my opinion.

Cool vids with each track.

And I made it all the way through to track 9, without the doof, doof ,doof...getting on me t..s .. :D

I've marked it an 8.

I really bought this disc because it was relatively inexpensive and, after checking YouTube for some of the tunes, I thought it would be right up my alley. Listening to it reminds me of standing in a techno style dance club in the 80s with large projector screens showing the strange videos that accompany the songs. The music is good, but most of the songs sound kinda similar. That's not a bad thing on a various artists album. Nothing worse than going from Santana into Enoch Light.

That being said, I enjoyed listening to it and watching the videos. Typically I just turn the TV off and listen to the music. This one is an exception. But I was surprised seeing comments on here and other forums about how great the surround mix is. Am I missing something? Is my Oppo broken? The rears had very little going on. I expected this style of music to be very "busy" in surround. It was not. Still pleasing but I expected more. Also, since I typically listen to 4 channel stuff, I forgot to turn on center channel. When I finally did, I realized it didn't really matter. Not much happening there either.

I gave it an 8 because, despite my disappointed expectations, I still liked the album overall.

I was having a butchers at what surround releases had slipped my attention, recently, and this one Popped up.

Yes its a Dolby mix.

But it's one of the better ones in my opinion.

Cool vids with each track.

And I made it all the way through to track 9, without the doof, doof ,doof...getting on me t..s .. :D

I've marked it an 8.
“…having a butchers”?! 🤔

"a butcher's hook" is Cockney rhyming slang for "look"! 😅😂

"having a butcher's" means "taking a look" 👀
Too funny!
I had never heard of Cockney rhyming slang until I read Rod Stewart’s autobiography, wherein he tries to explain it.
I still cannot follow the circuitous logic, but do get a big kick out of the concept.
The only word that stuck with me was “barnet”, which somehow means hairdo.
As you can imagine, he and his pal Ronnie Wood were quite concerned about theirs as youngsters! 💇

Back