DVD/DTS Poll Wilson, Steven - The Raven That Refused To Sing [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Steven Wilson - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
The "Prog" dilemma...
...it always boils down to ; "what is your DEFINITION of Prog Rock???"

Listening for the 2nd time this morning to this and considering getting the BD too (based on comparisons of mixes of "Red"from "The Road to Red" BD)-yes, I do hear a difference between the DVD-A (which is 48/24 and the BD at 96/24, usually there is very little difference but this time it's quite noticeable...and mind you, both the BD and the DVD-A are decoded by the receiver thru HDMI)...well, also, I did not have a BD player when I got this one and had no idea I was getting one for my Bday!

Back to the "Prog" thing...
Unfortunately, Prog has always suffered from the "jerking off" syndrome...yes, he/she/they can play a lot of notes very quickly speed metal-wise and make it sound "Symphonic" (or cacophonous but coherent as with KC), ...yet most good Prog has dynamics, which is always welcome and separates it from "Metal Prog"
This is why this album is quite special, yes there are some "jerking off" moments , but, as Jon pointed out, it's like a symphony, not your usual chord progressions...all very well thought out and balanced.

All beautifully arranged and superbly mixed (Alan Parsons anyone?)....

Now that I'm finally "getting" SW, I have been listening to GFD and Insurgentes, both excellent discs, but this is the one that SHINES....

Can't wait for the concert!!

Just in case anyone is interested, I may have a single spare ticket for Sunday night's gig at the Albert Hall. Only looking for face value and you'd have to sit next to me! Send me a private message if you're genuinely interested.

Also, may have a spare ticket for Peter Gabriel at the O2 Arena, London on the following night. Same applies re price.

Back