DVD/DTS Poll Muse - The Resistance [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Muse - THE RESISTANCE

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on Muse's "The Resistance" (DTS/Dolby DVD) (n)(y)

Attachments

• 3e30e16dfb56.jpg
    3e30e16dfb56.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 51redresistance.jpg
    51redresistance.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 714
thank you for creating this. I had a rip of this at one point and it really was a nice surround mix.

I've tried in vain over the intervening years to get the box, finding three open boxes in different places and getting the assistants to let me see if there was the making of or the 5.1 in them.. to their credit they all agreed no problem.. but of course they all contained the "wrong" DVD :(

you don't happen to have a scan of the DVD's inner sleeve with the unique "5.1" artwork/logotype from the numbered first run you could also put up at QQ please, Bob?

Excellent 5.1 Mix ruined by compression during the mastering. Loudest disc i own. True waste and completely pointless. ME should be shot!

Something is being played on satellite radio like every 10 minutes by Muse. Horrible song. I switch over to 50s on 5 whenever it comes on.

I rather like this mix - enough to rate it a solid seven. Muse are certainly a "marmite" band; you either love 'em or hate 'em and I consider them to be one of the best main stream bands on the circuit right now.

This release was a bit of an odd-ball; I think their other 5.1 has only been on live releases (?) and this one is rare as rocking horse whatsit.

It's one of those mixes that's extremely good when it's good, but sadly is just too variable from song to song to rate it higher. The clarity and channel separation isn't the best I have heard but many of the tracks make great use of the surround field and on the whole the use of surround is leaning to the side of subtle rather than over-blown which is maybe a bit unexpected for a Muse release! Well worth having if you can get hold of a copy but not, imho, worth paying silly money for.

I really like it a lot. I'd very much like decent scans of it please - and if there is anyone selling a silver please can you let me know as by the time I knew about it they were unavailable.

For me, it's a solid & respectable 8/10. The opener is a great track, and does not sound excessively bashed up in my studio setup. Yes, it is unquestionably loud but I am minded of Radioheads "The Bends" where the compression is deliberate & a part of the sound and I suspect the 5.1 was done from processed stems to maintain the same basic sound.
It is additionally extremely powerful - the loudness is at a high level but always under control and the top end never gets away from the mixer either - this is a good thing as it is all too easy for those hi-hats & esses to start popping out of the mix but the mix engineer is all over it. Kudos, I think.

My biggest criticism is that it all starts to get a bit tedious after the first 30 minutes at the most because this album seems to have no identity of it's own. There is a lot of bombast but little real substance behind it.
This is a shame - one minute Muse are trying to invoke the spirit of Freddie Mercury, the next it's full on Radiohead and after a while this gets boring for me.
The opening 15 minutes are still superb though and I would definitely buy a silver.

gave it the first spin...good music (my first Album from them) and a nice surround mix not overwhelming

The compression mentioned above is clearly too much.

Give a solid 7.

Check out these waveforms. Center is ridiculously compressed.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 538
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 543
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 532
Rears are beautifully dynamic, as they should be. Example;

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 517
The rears and LFE/surround effects are very well done. May be a bit compressed but unless I hear an uncompressed version, it's hard to say. I wish Muse had released their Black holes album and the latest in 5.1 as well. Muse seems to channel Queen and Radiohead amalgam on this effort, and to me it really works! And with respect to Indentity not all Artists need to be original, every artist rips off another artist with a few exceptions.

The average DR value of DTS tracks is 8. In my book this ranks this disc as one of the worst mastered surround albums. The compression can be intentional by the artists but my ears are protesting. Nevertheless, I like the music and the mix quite much.

The average DR value of DTS tracks is 8. In my book this ranks this disc as one of the worst mastered surround albums. The compression can be intentional by the artists but my ears are protesting. Nevertheless, I like the music and the mix quite much.

I am same as you, I like the music in fact the last 3 song suite(symphony) I just love this stuff, it gives me that same over the top musical goodness feeling I got years ago when first listening to Queen albums for the first time, they weren't scared to do whatever they felt like, Muse seems to take those similar musical chances, great stuff as they have many styles all thrown into same album.
I like listening to my music loud and as have 50+ year old ears I need to listen to things loud so compression really bothers me and as you said whether intentional or not, I will take a clean recording that I can blast any day of the year so this release drops a few points for that. Give it a 8(music and mix a 10 but compression drops this down to a 8 and thats generous).

peter

ALL compression is intentional; it does not happen by accident. LOUDNESS WARS. It began with MOTOWN cutting their records 'hot' to stand out over jukeboxes etc. With a DVD/ DVD A/SACD/ BLU RAY there is NO point. It is stupid, pointless and ruins the music.

I am same as you, I like the music in fact the last 3 song suite(symphony) I just love this stuff, it gives me that same over the top musical goodness feeling I got years ago when first listening to Queen albums for the first time, they weren't scared to do whatever they felt like, Muse seems to take those similar musical chances, great stuff as they have many styles all thrown into same album.
I like listening to my music loud and as have 50+ year old ears I need to listen to things loud so compression really bothers me and as you said whether intentional or not, I will take a clean recording that I can blast any day of the year so this release drops a few points for that. Give it a 8(music and mix a 10 but compression drops this down to a 8 and thats generous).

peter

Exactly; clean, dynamic recordings which WE THE LISTENER can crank loud should be a standard!!!!!!! No need to make them loud during mastering.

Just a thought.. if the rears and LFE aren't as loud as the Front 3 channels, has anybody here tried lowering the levels of Front L&R and Centre and seeing how that works out?

This may help. Here are some statistics for that:

foobar2000 1.1.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-08-22 22:53:56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics for: 01-
Number of samples: 157265920
Duration: 54:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Channel 1 (FL) Channel 2 (FR) Channel 3 (C) Channel 4 (LFE) Channel 5 (SL) Channel 6 (SR)

Peak Value: 0.00 dB --- 0.00 dB --- 0.00 dB --- -7.22 dB --- 0.00 dB --- 0.00 dB
Avg RMS: -9.64 dB --- -9.48 dB --- -6.82 dB --- -20.00 dB --- -14.04 dB --- -14.53 dB
DR channel: 6.39 dB --- 6.10 dB --- 3.62 dB --- 9.46 dB --- 9.98 dB --- 10.52 dB

Official DR Value: DR8

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 4448 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Based on the RMS values I suggest to lower the levels of the 3 fronts by max. 5 dB.

Btw, FYI. A surround album with the lowest average DR value that I ever listened to and analyzed had DR6.

Back