More Tull in 5.1 coming in 2013?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the layered vocals on "Heavy Horses" would sound incredible too, if given the SW treatment. "Brewing heavy.... weather."

btw, Linda, I assume you've heard the version of "Beastie" with the eight extra tracks? They must have hit a very rich vein of writing for that album as at least half of the extra tracks are classics in their own right. Jack-A-Lynn is the best Tull song never to make it onto an album.

How about The Mouse Police Never Sleeps in 5.1? The ending swirling around the room would be killer!

I was thinking the same!

I had a brief experience of Songs From The Wood in surround at a Tull gig back in the 80s. It was at Hammersmith Odeon, London. I was sat in the back row of the front block of the stalls. The house lights dimmed, the gig was about to start, and then suddenly there was Ian Anderson stood right behind me. He sang the opening few lines of Songs From The Wood on my shoulder before running up to the stage to continue the song - how cool was that!

Let me bring you songs from the rear:banana:

I've owned a 2ch LP, 1/2 speed LP, original German CD and expanded CD of Broadsword. Most Tull alternate takes and toss-offs are better than other artists' 1st line stuff.

btw, Linda, I assume you've heard the version of "Beastie" with the eight extra tracks? They must have hit a very rich vein of writing for that album as at least half of the extra tracks are classics in their own right. Jack-A-Lynn is the best Tull song never to make it onto an album.

I prefer the 8 bonus tracks to the ones that were originally on the album !

Jack a Lynn was only a bonus track. It is a killer!

The first time I heard it was on the 3 CD 20 Years of Jethro Tull box, which I popped for as an import before it was released in the US. It was also on the 4 CD 25th anniversary (cigar box) and the 2 CD Best of Jethro Tull. All are, of course, compilations. I recall it appearing on an EP in the '90's, as well.

,0000000000.jpg
Jethro+Tull+-+25th+Anniversary+Box+Set+-+BOX+SET-380924.jpg
The_Best_of_Jethro_Tull_-_The_Anniversary_Collection_cover_EU.jpg

Jethro was in a band after the TV series ended, who knew? :mad:@:
jethro.jpg
apologies to Flaquad.

...Jack-A-Lynn is the best Tull song never to make it onto an album.

How about the 'come back album' "Minstrel In The Gallery" in 5.1, which always been one of my favourites.

Minstrel is musically brilliant but is pretty stripped down compared to APP and Warchild and Songs from the Wood. I don't hear it a prime surround material, compared to those.

Minstrel is musically brilliant but is pretty stripped down compared to APP and Warchild and Songs from the Wood. I don't hear it a prime surround material, compared to those.

I think its the mix of Acoustic and electric and the space that makes the Tull stuff sound so good in surround, Warchild would be a prime subject to get the treatment as its a great listen from beginning to end! and yes the Aqualung box set is very pricey but on Blu Ray worth every penny ! it sounds as if it was just recorded yesterday. and last the comments on the odd box and disc sizes are a pain , I've taken all my most listen to boxed discs and put them in an album with pockets , much quicker access !

I've just had an e-mail from Spin CDs, Passion Play track listing below for release on 16th June 2014. Following NeilW's comment if/as soon its available from SW's headphonedust that's where I'll order it from.

2CD / 2DVD IN 80-PAGE CASEBOUND BOOK

CD 1

A Passion Play (A new Steven Wilson stereo mix)

1. Lifebeats/Prelude

2. The Silver Cord

3. Re-Assuring Tune

4. Memory Bank

5. Best Friends

6. Critique Oblique

7. Forest Dance #1

8. The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles

9. Forest Dance #2

10. The Foot Of Our Stairs (+ 2 extra verses found on end of multi-track reel)

11. Overseer Overture.

12. Flight From Lucifer

13. 10.08 to Paddington

14. Magus Perde

15. Epilogue

CD 2

The Château d'Hérouville Sessions (A new Steven Wilson stereo mix)

1) The Big Top

2) Scenario

3) Audition

4) Skating Away

5) Sailor

6) No Rehearsal

7) Left Right

8) Solitaire

9) Critique Oblique (Part I)

10) Critique Oblique (Part II)

11) Animelee (1st Dance) [Instrumental]

12) Animelee (2nd Dance) [Instrumental]

13) Law Of The Bungle (Part I)

14) Tiger

15) Law Of The Bungle (Part II)

DVD 1 (Audio & Video)

Contains A Passion Play mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and PCM 96/24 PCM stereo. A flat transfer from the original master at PCM 96/24 stereo and video clips of ‘The Story Of The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles’ an intro and outro film footage used in the Passion Play tour of 1973.

DVD 2 (Audio only)

Contains The Château d'Hérouville Sessions mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and PCM 96/24 PCM stereo.

In the book:

*An extensive article by Martin Webb on the preparation and recording of the album and the

Château sessions that preceded it.

*Steven Wilson’s thoughts on mixing the recordings.

*Memories of the cover shoot and Hare filming by dancer Jane Eve (Colthorpe)

*The Rev’d Godfrey Pilchard’s recollections.

*1973 tour history

*Recollections of touring and PA systems by sound man Chris Amson.

This really looks like a great set, definitely going to pre-order as soon as it's up!

8185rz3FMlL._SL1500_.jpg

Here is the cover for the new CD/DVD edition of "A Passion Play".

Based on the description above, it looks like it will be in the same style of packaging as the "Thick as a Brick" release.
I thought we might have to wait until the fall until this one came out, so I'm glad to see they are moving ahead on getting it out during these hot summer months! :)

Here is the cover for the new CD/DVD edition of "A Passion Play".

Based on the description above, it looks like it will be in the same style of packaging as the "Thick as a Brick" release.
I thought we might have to wait until the fall until this one came out, so I'm glad to see they are moving ahead on getting it out during these hot summer months! :)

I can't wait for this one, there's a space next to Thick as a Brick waiting for it! Where did you find the cover?

I can Not Wait For This !!!!
I remember that Passion Play Tour very well ! and reading that it will have the intro which was a very long pulsing (lifebeat) on the screen which started while everyone was being seated and continued getting brighter as the lights were dimmed ! and the film clips of the ballerina being resurrected and dancing through the glass mirrors she did this several times with no sound and the last time she jumped through the glass was so loud it scared the hell out of you ! i cant belive i remembered all that ! any one else remember this tour? I saw 2 shows Madison Square Garden and The Nassau C !

Back