DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Corrected Reissue) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [Corrected Issue]

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
day 4...the following takes place between 1:00pm and 2:00pm.....

as instructed by my agents...infrared satellite tracking showed the man in the brown truck was alone and arrived at the designated time...he slowly advanced to the front door of the highly agitated suspect with the much sought after package in question...carefully handed it over...no shots were fired....even after numerous unsuccessful attempts...this mission unfolded with no methods of torture employed and no casualties....stand down team.....i'm happy to report i now have the CORRECT disc in my possession.... mission is complete..i repeat..mission is complete.... :banana: :banana: :banana:

How did you acquire the corrected disc?

How did you acquire the corrected disc?

took 3 returns and finally on the 4th try amazon sent the corrected one. luck i guess as there is no way to tell from the outside of the package.

gotta say they were great about the return/exchange process...didn't charge me for each one after the first so i didn't have to wait for any refunds etc...

took 3 returns and finally on the 4th try amazon sent the corrected one. luck i guess as there is no way to tell from the outside of the package.

gotta say they were great about the return/exchange process...didn't charge me for each one after the first so i didn't have to wait for any refunds etc...

Amazon UK or US? I'm guessing US... I had 3 from Amazon UK altogether then a fourth (through Amazon UK) from a seller in the States, the corrected one is still eluding me! Plus, e-mails to the 3 or 4 addresses posted around for replacements, to no avail, very hard work getting this one :-(

Amazon UK or US? I'm guessing US... I had 3 from Amazon UK altogether then a fourth (through Amazon UK) from a seller in the States, the corrected one is still eluding me! Plus, e-mails to the 3 or 4 addresses posted around for replacements, to no avail, very hard work getting this one :-(

yes U.S. after my 3rd i started getting concerned it might be an impossible challenge... could hardly believe my eyes when i saw that little line on the 4th one! i wish you all the best if you continue on the roulette wheel...hopefully the 'next' one will be it!

Noticed this one had slipped off the 1st page with all the other Tulls and thought it looked lonely so...look what I just ordered: (never mind link not working)
It still sounds great in surround!

Last edited:
I am pretty late to this issue but I have only discovered now that the set I bought at the beginning of this year has the defective dvd. I can hear how bright it is. The email address given earlier here for contact is not accepting any new emails. Does anyone know if it is still possible to get the defective dvd replaced with the corrected version?

Goodness, this is one crazy album!
Glad to hear SW breaking some rules, like the hi-hat that spins around the room.
I thought I had a defective, overly bright copy, until I realized my pup had unplugged my sub!
(Yes, I checked for the line under the DVD info and it's there.)

10. No two ways about it.

This has always been my favorite Jethro Tull album. Being the first album by a band that contained none of the original “blues version” (This Was) members, aside from Ian, has a lot to due with it. With all due respect to Glen Cornish, Clive Bunker and Mick Abrahams, this album just wouldn't have been the same with them as the players.

I just listened to the 5.1 for around the fifth time. This time I was taken by the keyboards. John Evans' playing is fantastic. He is a truly underrated keyboardist. I thought his organ playing reminded me a lot of Tony Kaye and the piano and harpsichord parts were kinda like Rick Wakeman. And Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond is my favorite Tull bassist, up there with Chris Squire. Regarding Barrie Barlow, Ian himself states in the notes that bringing Barrie into the band as drummer “raised the game for the other guys”. Martin Barre of course had been proving his worth on guitar since Stand Up.

I brought up the YES references because this album was having a “little dig” (all in good fun) at groups like YES, ELP and King Crimson, again as Ian states in the notes, realizing that these bands contained “great musicians”. I think that if JON Anderson had been singing JON Anderson lyrics to this music, about 80% of it would sound like a YES album.

That is not to take away from the fact that this is, first and foremost, A Jethro Tull album. Ian's concept album spoof comes off as he intended. Excellent musicians playing excellent music with a bit of their tongues in their cheeks.

Lastly, it goes without saying, but it needs to be said again, Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix is superb.

P.S. I can not look at a picture of a Non-Rabbit without laughing out loud !!! :ROFLMAO::

Last edited:
This time I was taken by the keyboards. John Evans' playing is fantastic. He is a truly underrated keyboardist.

Indeed! His organ work on this album is terrific. I always thought it a shame that he would play organ less and less on subsequent LPs, but of course their music continued on to different paths. He was great fun in concert. I sat fairly close in front of him for his final Tull show in Cleveland and was thoroughly entertained by his talent and showmanship. It appears he hasn't been contributing comments/reflections for these deluxe releases. That's a real pity.

JerseyEd
Jeffery was always my favorite Bass player also , i could never understand why Ian in MANY interviews said that he was lacking in being a musician. He would have to be taught many times what to play and that he was a fast learner. As a Bass player myself i found his playing to very impressive, Ian has always been a perfection seeker and i guess hears things in a different way. Glenn Cornick (RIP) was a great player also and had some of the best Bass Riffs !

JerseyEd
Jeffery was always my favorite Bass player also , i could never understand why Ian in MANY interviews said that he was lacking in being a musician. He would have to be taught many times what to play and that he was a fast learner. As a Bass player myself i found his playing to very impressive, Ian has always been a perfection seeker and i guess hears things in a different way. Glenn Cornick (RIP) was a great player also and had some of the best Bass Riffs !

JerseyEd

Ian is an arrogant, ignorant SOB.

JerseyEd

Hi Nova,
I too am a bass player and tend to focus on those musicians. Martin stated in the liner notes of one of the packages that he would question why some of the measures were in 5/4. TAAB is full of 5/4, 7/4, 6/4 measures sometimes having combinations of these in a single phrase. This carried through to the subsequent albums. I'm sure that Ian came to rehearsals with his musical ideas and taught everyone what he wanted to be played. And don't forget that when Ian "drafted" Jeffrey into Tull, Jeffrey was working on his art career, not as a professional musician like Glen and John. I would think that the others contributed some lines and riff's to the album's make up, but it was primarily Ian's work. I imagine that Glen (love the bass on Bouree) was happier when he was allowed more freedom in his playing. John Glascock was also a great bassist, but Jeffrey, to me, is the best.

Jeffrey didn't read music so he had to be shown what to play, when parts were set by Ian. Obviously Ian had, and has, great affection for the guy.

The Tull bass sound in the 1970s got ever more 'precise', going from Cornick's fat fingerstyle sound, through Jeffrey's slightly woolly picked sound, to Glascock's and Pegg's more clinical picked sound and I guess that's what Ian was looking for, as their music went from blues rock to prog rock/prog folk.

I have bought all the Tull anniversary reissues the last few months. Still looking for this one for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any tips where this one is still available?

I have bought all the Tull anniversary reissues the last few months. Still looking for this one for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any tips where this one is still available?

Can't help with finding a decently priced copy but I'm living in the hope that they will do another run of it, I wasn't into surround as much then as I am now so this went under my radar, I have all the others released so far and they look lovely in a row on the shelf, just a bit of a gap where TaaB should be, I'm not prepared to pay what is being asked.
I do have a rip of the 5.1 so I can listen to it, but it's not enough, I want that bulky package in my sweaty little hands.:confused:

Can't help with finding a decently priced copy but I'm living in the hope that they will do another run of it, I wasn't into surround as much then as I am now so this went under my radar, I have all the others released so far and they look lovely in a row on the shelf, just a bit of a gap where TaaB should be, I'm not prepared to pay what is being asked.
I do have a rip of the 5.1 so I can listen to it, but it's not enough, I want that bulky package in my sweaty little hands.:confused:

Now that the Tull catalogue is on Warner Music (as opposed to EMI when the "Thick as a Brick" deluxe edition was originally released) let's see if it's reissued next year and if there's more this time around that we did not get the first time! :)

Yeah, I had a money crunch a couple of years ago and sold mine. Now that I'm looking, they don't sell this new anymore and the used ones are going for beaucoup bucks. Wish I'd held on to mine, but I've got all of them before and after this one. Grabbing Aqualung now while I can and not selling any more.

Back