INVOLVE SQ - IS COMING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucky3042

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Dear all

Just thought I would start a new thread on the coming SQ unit.

The latest news is that Dave -IS WORKING ON IT. Every time I walk past his office I see the algorithm up on screen and stuff being jiggled around.

Please feel free to ask questions or suggest ideas!

Regards

Chucky

Last edited:
One suggestion would be to have the center volume leval with the other outputs. In all honesty I probably will only use this in 4.0/4.1 but just in case. Maybe take a vote on the center level thing? I don't want to dictate it if everyone else things the center level is fine at the higher level.

Other than that, maybe you can get little SQ/QS logo stickers made :p

......Other than that, maybe you can get little SQ/QS logo stickers made :p

That would probably require licensing fees and all.

For that matter Chucky, do you have to pay Sony to sell an SQ decoder, even if you design it yourself?

I don't know how the trademarks for terms and logos like SQ and QS work. But as far as the technology behind SQ and QS, I believe the patents are well expired.

One suggestion would be to have the center volume leval with the other outputs. In all honesty I probably will only use this in 4.0/4.1 but just in case. Maybe take a vote on the center level thing? I don't want to dictate it if everyone else things the center level is fine at the higher level.

Other than that, maybe you can get little SQ/QS logo stickers made :p
Please read the other thread -- there will be NO CENTER CHANNEL for SQ mode. This was made clear some time ago.

I'm certainly fine with that.

Please read the other thread -- there will be NO CENTER CHANNEL for SQ mode. This was made clear some time ago.

I'm certainly fine with that.

I am fine with no 5.1 in the SQ mode as well. I probably will use it in 4.0 only in QS mode as well. But SQ surround master still has the QS mode. The QS mode will still have 5.1. I thought it would be nice for them to level out the center in 5.1 mode of the QS mode. Sorry if I didn't make the question more clear earlier.

Chucky, I guess the basic decoding of the phase encoded Rt and Lt channels is fairly straightforward (!) - but what steering, positional enhancement or psycho-acoustic treatments do you envisage may be necessary to maximise performance?

Hi Soundfield

Actually the basic SQ decoding and our surround logic control parts are all done, the issue we are struggling with at the moment is how we are going to apply our front, back and (maybe a little Left, right) steering controls to the basic SQ decode matrix. SQ did not use the variomatrix approach instead they used variable gain blocks.

We have done some initial trials with a variomatrix SQ adaption formula described in some early Sansui documents but I am not impressed so far. We are working on some variants of our own at the moment.

Our surround logic controller uses many techniques such as tri band splitting, multiple attack/ decay times, Fletcher - Munson human hearing modeling, weighting and priority polling techniques most of these were a bit complex to apply in the good old days.

So in summary we are currently wading through a river of poo...... time and a good wash will cleanse.

Regards

Chucky

Hi Soundfield

Actually the basic SQ decoding and our surround logic control parts are all done, the issue we are struggling with at the moment is how we are going to apply our front, back and (maybe a little Left, right) steering controls to the basic SQ decode matrix.
Hello Chucky.

I have absolutely no experience with the decoding scripts that are around, but if I have it right it is possible to get adequate separation based only on the phase differences.

Hi Proufo

You are correct but we are trying to improve matters.

Regards

chucky

Hello Chucky.

I have absolutely no experience with the decoding scripts that are around, but if I have it right it is possible to get adequate separation based only on the phase differences.

Hi Soundfield

Actually the basic SQ decoding and our surround logic control parts are all done, the issue we are struggling with at the moment is how we are going to apply our front, back and (maybe a little Left, right) steering controls to the basic SQ decode matrix. SQ did not use the variomatrix approach instead they used variable gain blocks.

We have done some initial trials with a variomatrix SQ adaption formula described in some early Sansui documents but I am not impressed so far. We are working on some variants of our own at the moment.

Our surround logic controller uses many techniques such as tri band splitting, multiple attack/ decay times, Fletcher - Munson human hearing modeling, weighting and priority polling techniques most of these were a bit complex to apply in the good old days.

So in summary we are currently wading through a river of poo...... time and a good wash will cleanse.

Regards

Chucky

Thanks for the update Chucky. Whilst not wishing to add unnecessarily to the depth of poo.... have you given any consideration to the various 'flavours' of SQ encoding that (albeit briefly) existed? I'm thinking of the different soundstage emphasis that arose from the the fairly arbritrary adoption by different producers of the so called "Forward Oriented", "Backward Oriented" or "London Box" encoding regimes. Having said that, I'm not sure if any decoder is actually capable of detecting which particular type of encoder may have been used, let alone whether any diffferent decoding strategies might be called for to optimise uniquely for any of them, so I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers.

... that arose from the the fairly arbritrary adoption by different producers of the so called "Forward Oriented", "Backward Oriented" or "London Box" encoding regimes.
Hello Soundfield.

Could you please expand on this, probably in a separate thread?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Back