INVOLVE SQ - IS COMING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CBS Laboratories - SQ Stereo Enhancement:

I wrote to CBS in the Summer of 1975, they sent me
back a few documents, one entitled:

SQ Stereo Enhancement (1974-12-17)

There are 2 pre-processor modes,
180 degrees and 270 degrees.
(sL = Stereo Left, sR = Stereo Right)

180 degrees (recommended for Classical Music):
Lt = 0.85sL - j0.35sR, Rt = 0.85sR - j0.35sL

270 degrees (recommended for Popular Music):
Lt = 0.707sL - j0.707sR, Rt = 0.707sR - j0.707sL

I'll have to pull out my HP calculator with
Rectangular/Polar conversions and see how this
pre-processing affects Stereo directionality
through an SQ Decoder.

Strangely, that CBS document also says that the
QS Stereo Enhancement system isn't very good. ;)

Kirk Bayne

Hi kfbkfb

Glad to see you are a reverse Polish notation man like myself. I hate the way Texas have brain washed the market by somehow getting schools / Uni's to specify their brand of calculator- useless things. You save 30% of key strokes and its so intuitive.

Sorry I am off topic but its one of my obsessions!

Regards

Chucky

Hi kfbkfb

Glad to see you are a reverse Polish notation man like myself. I hate the way Texas have brain washed the market by somehow getting schools / Uni's to specify their brand of calculator- useless things. You save 30% of key strokes and its so intuitive.

Sorry I am off topic but its one of my obsessions!

Regards

Chucky

I haven't heard the term "reverse Polish" since I was a kid. In the early seventies. Now I want to get an HP again.

Hi Quadsearcher

Try their newer HP35 - they went back to old school, love it. I suppose we are showing our age but I have corrupted both of my kids (at uni) and they love it are both nearly incapable of using a standard calculator- which is a problem when the stupid Uni's only allow the Texas piles of crap into exams. "Overture" being a "young whipper snapper" somehow has never experienced the shear beauty of RPN- I pity the fool.

Getting back to topic they are great for calculating polar co ordinates!!!!! It all about surround.

Regards

Chucky

He's basically saying that the stereo image would end up in a horseshoe configuration with the sounds panned hard left or right appearing in the rear speakers, and the content in the centre of the stereo image appearing in the front speakers.

The Fosgate Tate 101A has a mode that does this, it's been a while but I think it's called 'cinema' or something similar.

Right. I remember the CBS SQ "horse-shoe" Stereo Enhancement mode/circuit. Wasn't that impressed by it.

I have a CBS 4000 SQ decoder
and when I played the stereo Enhancement mode
I found that it moved the sound from rear left to rear right
the only decoder other than the QS or S/M decoders to do that

Hello all!

Just an update, for those waiting and also for those who have already pre-ordered.
I verified the version of the software that RustiAndI preferred, it was as suspected, and so the next step begins.

Slight ball-drop on the re-labelling - screen printing is simply not viable as re-tooling to print on the curved surface of the plastic is cost-prohibitive unless we're selling thousands of these things, so we're doing a sticker overlay to indicate that 2ch mode is now SQ mode. But the artwork man has been busy trying to get media and so on together for an indiegogo funding campaign we're doing later in the year for a professional camera flash in LED (There's more to it than that, obviously) and didn't get the art done.
Shopping around for a good quality sticker at the moment, with a dependable adhesive and so on. Probably vinyl so that it resists fading over time.

Meanwhile, I have the software to program the units. As soon as we get the labels, they'll be thrown together (carefully, of course), new product label, programmed, wrapped, stacked, packed and shipped, with any luck that will happen next week.

Many apologies for these little delays at the tail-end of the process. I hope you find the wait to be worth it :)

~David.

I can't help it. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve

Any updates yet?

Updates... updates... updates... updates... updates... <bangs fists on table ala Khrushchev being denied a visit to Disneyland>

Hi all!

Quick update. The artwork for the sticker to cover our sins is being printed ere as we speak, and should be ready for the end of this week. I'll badge/package/program the units then, and assuming the creek doesn't rise, the pre-ordered units should go out Monday (And any other orders we may happen to get before then, wink wink, nudge nudge)

~David

Overture said:
Hi all!

Quick update. The artwork for the sticker to cover our sins is being printed ere as we speak, and should be ready for the end of this week. I'll badge/package/program the units then, and assuming the creek doesn't rise, the pre-ordered units should go out Monday (And any other orders we may happen to get before then, wink wink, nudge nudge)

~David

Thanks for the update!!! Back when I asked, Chucky said that you guys would sign the booklet for me. Some other people asked about that too. Are you going to do that for all of them or do I (and anyone who wants it that way) need to PM you who I am, or do you guys already know which order is mine?

Thanks!

Hi Q8

I will ensure all the special ordered SQ / QS units will be signed by the team, I will also ask Nathan about the photo that captures my inner beauty (and those other ugly gargoyles in the team).

Regards

Chucky

Thanks for the update!!! Back when I asked, Chucky said that you guys would sign the booklet for me. Some other people asked about that too. Are you going to do that for all of them or do I (and anyone who wants it that way) need to PM you who I am, or do you guys already know which order is mine?

Thanks!

And for those of us not in Oz or the US, what are postage costs to elsewhere eg the UK?

I now have to decide if I can justify buying one of these given I only have 4 SQ encoded albums and non in any other formats, and two of those have been decoded by OD (no I do not want to get into arguments about decode equations). What I need to think about is how many more quad albums I'm likely to hunt down ie. how serious am I about this. I'd have to buy a turntable for a start, which shows you where I'm starting from.

Hi JonUrban and Bansezmax

SEE POSTS 218!!!!!!

We have 3 options for the update.

1 We book David on a return business class flight, 5 star accommodation to your home address - say $7,000 and he will do it personally.

or

2 You post your unit back to 33 Malcolm Rd Braeside Melbourne Victoria Australia 3195, we will do the upgrade for free, we then send it back to you for a DLH charge (was $65 to Texas) - so say $130 ish round trip.

or

3 If you are OK with soldering surface mount electronics we will send you via certified post pack mail the SQ 8 pin chip, front panel SQ sticker and instructions. SMT electronics is actually easier to work with if you have a steady hand and a magnifying glass. If you are not able your corner DVD repair guy could do it cheaply. We can post the complete thing for $30. This is also the quickest approach.

Regards

Chucky

Last edited:
Hi All
SORRY!!!!

Forgot to mention the SQ programs an additional $100 development fee (so we get something back for the R+D). So if you go for the cheaper
"soldering iron" option 3 the total fee is US$13O.

Software updates have no charge other than postage. Please understand we worked for 3.5 months on the SQ package, that is why we charged more for the SQ units.

Regards

Chucky

Not that I mind soldering, but I'm happy to ship mine back and let you guys do your thing. And that would be the software-update-postage-charge-only option. Correct?

Option 2

Is you pay postage both ways (say $130 if USA) plus $100 design and development surcharge -

Regards

Chucky

Not that I mind soldering, but I'm happy to ship mine back and let you guys do your thing. And that would be the software-update-postage-charge-only option. Correct?

Back