DLP2 & 24-Bit audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neb-Maat-Re

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi folks.

I have previously only used DLP2 to create the Video_TS for hybrid discs using AC3 and DTS files.

I am now experimenting with making an multi-album disc using stereo LCPM, partly to teach myself to write simple menus. When I tried entering 24-bit audio, DLP2 advised this would only work for DVD-Audio.

Will DLP2 really not accept 24-bit, or is this just a warning rather than an error because DLP2 is abit out of date in relation to the abilities of current DVD players?

I have seen 24-bit audio DVDs around - is the other software that might do this better?

Hi folks.

I have previously only used DLP2 to create the Video_TS for hybrid discs using AC3 and DTS files.

I am now experimenting with making an multi-album disc using stereo LCPM, partly to teach myself to write simple menus. When I tried entering 24-bit audio, DLP2 advised this would only work for DVD-Audio.

Will DLP2 really not accept 24-bit, or is this just a warning rather than an error because DLP2 is abit out of date in relation to the abilities of current DVD players?

I have seen 24-bit audio DVDs around - is the other software that might do this better?

The warning is there because of the actual specs of DVD-V discs. Whilst audio from 16-bit 48KHz up to 24/96 resolution at a data rate of up to 6.144Mbps is supported, the only mandatory component is 16-bit 48KHz.
It's those little words "From" and "up to" that cause all the problems as it effectively means the only LPCM files any player has to be capable of decoding are 16-bit 48KHz. I have a Cambridge AUdio Azur 540MkII unit here that truncates all 20 or 24-bit files to 16-bits, and believe me it brings the hammer down. Yet it will accept 96KHz.
In reality it is just a warning, and what will happen on an unsupported player is either truncation to 16-bits or else re-sampling to 48KHz on the fly, or both.

Back