Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To follow up, I asked Chris Squire about the 5.1 release for Fish Out of Water after their (great!) show near Pittsburgh last night. He said "hopefully in the near future" and I wasn't able to get him to share anything more specific. Sorry, guys...

This is standard artist speak for "I have no bloody idea, its taking much longer than I'd like..."

FYI: I asked Chis Squire(after the SLO shows in 1996) if YES would do more gigs in the future and he made wild body gestures negatively, emphatically declaring "NO this(SLO 3 shows) is it!" Well he & YES toured the world for the next 10 years doing exactly the opposit.

"Never look for the truth in your mother's eyes." and...

Never look for the truth from Chris Squire's words... (y)

Thanks for the update! :) Fish Out Of Water is kinda like Power & Glory, as far as a high quality analog recording. FOOW would sound magnificent in 5.1.

Thanks for the update, Doc!
Seems to me that Chris probably doesn't take quite as much of an active interest in these 5.1 remixes as Steve Howe does, but if this record is indeed released in surround sound, hopefully it won't be just as DVD-V...

Thanks for the update, Doc!
Seems to me that Chris probably doesn't take quite as much of an active interest in these 5.1 remixes as Steve Howe does....

I wouldn't exactly consider Steve Howe to be at the vanguard of multi-channel... Plus: I think Squire is quite keen on FOOW & a 5.1 remix. He, like many artists simply have little control over release schedules. Steven Wilson works cheap so that is why Tull & Yes & GG get stuff out fast. If Squire tries to push FOOW on Steven Wilson, then YES start to argue over who gets their solo records out...

YES solo records that are as deserving as Fish Out Of Water:

JA - Olias of Sunhillow
SH - The Steve Howe Album
Wakey-Mon: 6 Wives through White Rock.

By the way...Very tasty tidbit we received about Steve Hacket records maybe getting the 5.1 treatment.

I wouldn't exactly consider Steve Howe to be at the vanguard of multi-channel... Plus: I think Squire is quite keen on FOOW & a 5.1 remix. He, like many artists simply have little control over release schedules. Steven Wilson works cheap so that is why Tull & Yes & GG get stuff out fast. If Squire tries to push FOOW on Steven Wilson, then YES start to argue over who gets their solo records out...

By the way...Very tasty tidbit we received about Steve Hacket records maybe getting the 5.1 treatment.

I don't think the part in bold has anything to do with the lack of FOOW's 5.1 release.
Plus where did you hear about Steve Hackett's albums getting remixed in 5.1? Hopefully if they are remixed, it's not by Roger King, the guy who did the Squackett 5.1 mix. That mix is one of the worst I have ever heard...

Woooooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! :banana:

Could this mean Spectral Mornings in 5.1? :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I don't think the part in bold has anything to do with the lack of FOOW's 5.1 release.
Plus where did you hear about Steve Hackett's albums getting remixed in 5.1? Hopefully if they are remixed, it's not by Roger King, the guy who did the Squackett 5.1 mix. That mix is one of the worst I have ever heard...

I'm not good about remembering where I read a tweet or news tidbit, but yes... The early SHackett albums were talked about, I think by Steve Hacket(Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings...) he mentioned he'd like these done in 5.1. Yeah, Squackett sucked all around.

I read specifically SW likes Please Don't Touch a lot and hope that extends in both directions of the Hackett catalog.

Dennis must have missed the sound and Vision article to not be aware of Steve Howe's involvement and comments about Fragile before and new Yes album releases now.

From QQ deep space

http://theeviljam.co.uk/2011/09/25/...ond-the-shrouded-horizon-september-10th-2011/

Steve Hackett:

""Well there is a move afoot to do Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings, the albums either side of that Voyage of the Acolyte and Defector, in 5.1. So far no one has found the multi tracks for Voyage or Defector. I have to say in my defence that at the time when I was working with Charisma (Records) they insisted on having the masters themselves and now things have got lost. so far they haven’t appeared but I still hope that these things will get discovered"

I read specifically SW likes Please Don't Touch a lot and hope that extends in both directions of the Hackett catalog.

Dennis must have missed the sound and Vision article to not be aware of Steve Howe's involvement and comments about Fragile before and new Yes album releases now.

Hi Tim, :)

Actually the S&V bit came from a much longer interview(I think I found it from Henry Potts' great website). Yes; Steve Howe was interested but this is after Steven Wilson had already mixed them.
I got the impression that Steve Howe approved of the remixes and was going along with YES's plans. There's a huge difference between that and being a big 5.1 proponent like Steven Wilson or even you and I. ;) :phones

@Tim: Also; I took Hackett's qoute to imply that PDT & SM multis are available already. Its Voyage or Defector that nobody has found yet. If I may be so bold as to say
that Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings are by far his best solo records. I would buy those in a millisecond. (y)

-Edit- More from Hackett:

"None the less we have found Please Don’t Touch and Spectral Mornings which I will do at some point."

If I may be so bold as to say that Please Don't Touch & Spectral Mornings are by far his best solo records. I would buy those in a millisecond. (y)

math.jpg

Hmm, I think not, only because: SW is pretty straighforward in saying which stuff he is remixing. He never mentioned anything about Fish Out Of Water....

Who knows? Obviously, if SW mixed it, it would be great news for all of us. :)

He's only straight forward about saying which albums he's remixed if he is either allowed to do so or if other people mentioned it first and then he follows suit.
Robert Fripp, Ian Anderson, and (especially) Andy Partridge are vocal about what SW does so he is a little more vocal about those mixes. The Yes guys? Not so much, so SW stays more silent on those until they are actually cleared for release. Same thing with other remixes.
The reason he doesn't discuss them much until they are guaranteed to be released is because what good would it do for him to talk about what he is remixing before it's guaranteed to be released. Could you imagine how angry we would be if we found out about things he's remixed that have not been released? (And trust me, there are a bunch of albums he's remixed that have yet to be released. Don't know the specifics of what they actually are though...)
He only has control over what he remixes, and not much control at all over how and when they are released.

So short answer is: We can't rule out that he hasn't mixed FOOW, but DMJ is right in that no signs have pointed to him working on a remix of that album yet.

Did you have a chance to ask Chris Squire about the 5.1?

Anyone else got any news?

It's in post #20.... "hopefully in the near future"... and I was not able to coax anything more specific than that from him

40th anniversary of the album is this year, so if there's any time to release the supposed 5.1 mix of this album it's now!
(hopefully on DVD-A too!) :)

Back