Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one's picked this up yet, but I found this little tidbit on page 45 of the most recent Prog magazine (the one with Chris Squire on the cover).
It's part of a personal remembrance article from author and radio broadcaster Jon Kirkman, but this little bit below stood out to me above everything else written in the article:

My one regret is that despite talking about getting together again to do another filmed interview in the studio for the 5.1 remix of "Fish Out Of Water", it never happened.

I'm now trying to follow up with the author to see where the project stands right now. Stay tuned! :)

I was able to ask Jon Kirkman about that quote above, and here was his response about a potential release of the 5.1 mix:

I have no idea if it was completed as Chris and I discussed meeting up to do the interview about the 5.1 in the studio but we never got round to it because of Chris's commitments to yes and my radio and TV commitments but he definitely wanted us to do it so that was the regret

An additional follow-up quote:
The rights reverted back to Chris hence he wanted to do a 5.1 Remix but I have no idea if he managed to finish the mix. The intention was that Chris and I would work again on the interview for the release.

@RT: Thanks for digging this up.

I'd guess that the best chances for a release are:

1. YES promote this out of respect for Chris' memory

2. Steven Wilson takes a personal interest and pushes it. In this case we can ask/encourage here in the SW question area. : (y)

For me, it would be a dream come true. I have always loved this recording it is a masterpiece, IMHO.

@RT: Thanks for digging this up.

I'd guess that the best chances for a release are:

1. YES promote this out of respect for Chris' memory

2. Steven Wilson takes a personal interest and pushes it. In this case we can ask/encourage here in the SW question area. : (y)

For me, it would be a dream come true. I have always loved this recording it is a masterpiece, IMHO.

I disagree with your second point, in the sense that SW rarely 'pushes' for an album's release in surround sound. He's presented with albums to remix, chooses and mixes the ones he wants, and then after that, it's out of his hands as far as when and how it's released. Obviously he can make suggestions, but many decisions are not ultimately up to him.

I think the best bet would be that a great reissue label like Esoteric picks it up and continues to move things forward, that is if they haven't been doing so already, but you're right in that a surround mix of this album would be great. If any Yes solo album deserved a surround mix, it's this one. :)

http://yesworld.com/2013/04/ask-yes-friday-26th-april-2013-chris-squire/

"However, I can tell you that there is a 5.1 mix of Fish Out of Water which is in the completion stages at the moment and should be available at some point this year."

So cool! Now if only Jon Anderson would do the same for "Olias of Sunhillo"

J. D.

WOW! Somebody actually said they would love to hear a Yes album with Jon Davison, not Anderson, true sycophant.

Anderson and Chris Squire=Yes. Without either it is a NO.

WOW! Somebody actually said they would love to hear a Yes album with Jon Davison, not Anderson, true sycophant.

Anderson and Chris Squire=Yes. Without either it is a NO.

The quote you posted says nothing of the sort. But of course, Davison has already done an album with Yes, so that ship has already sailed.

After all of the talk that's just gone down recently about "Fish Out Of Water" in surround in the "Fragile" thread, I sent this email message to Esoteric Records:

Hi there.

Since the untimely passing of Chris Squire this year, many Yes fans including myself have been hoping that Chris Squire's fantastic solo album "Fish Out Of Water" would be reissued as a tribute to him. I also understand that there's an unreleased 5.1 surround mix of the album that was completed a few years ago that many would love to hear. In light of such excellent reissues on the Esoteric label like "Warrior on the Edge of Time" and "The Geese & The Ghost", if it's possible, I hope Esoteric can look into reissuing "Fish Out Of Water" with the unreleased 5.1 mix so all fans can enjoy this great album in the best possible way.

Thanks for your time

Of course, I will immediately update if they respond. Hope Springs Eternal! :)

After all of the talk that's just gone down recently about "Fish Out Of Water" in surround in the "Fragile" thread, I sent this email message to Esoteric Records:

Of course, I will immediately update if they respond. Hope Springs Eternal! :)

An immediate buy for me (unless boxed with vinyl and redundant space-stealing claptrap - which I'm boycotting now) as this is a brilliant album!

An immediate buy for me (unless boxed with vinyl and redundant space-stealing claptrap - which I'm boycotting now) as this is a brilliant album!

That's precisely one of the reasons why I emailed Esoteric about this album.
Their clam-shell deluxe editions for "Warrior on the Edge of Time" and "The Geese & The Ghost" represent a lot of value for a very good price. Those reissues, along with others on their label, serve as an ideal example of what they could potentially do with a title like "Fish Out Of Water". :)

That's precisely one of the reasons why I emailed Esoteric about this album.
Their clam-shell deluxe editions for "Warrior on the Edge of Time" and "The Geese & The Ghost" represent a lot of value for a very good price. Those reissues, along with others on their label, serve as an ideal example of what they could potentially do with a title like "Fish Out Of Water". :)

Agree. Warrior on the Edge was a compact package, full of goodness at a reasonable price. I am visualizing Fish Out of Water's cover image on a similar small box of beauty.

As has been mentioned in the Barclay James Harvest thread, it looks like a reissue of "Fish Out of Water" (maybe with the 5.1 mix included) is imminent! :)

CHERRY RED ACQUIRE NEW CATALOGUES FROM WARNER MUSIC GROUP

Cherry Red are pleased to announce the purchase and representation of several artist catalogues and discographies from the Warner Music Group divestment deal. These include Howard Jones, Be Bop Deluxe, Barclay James Harvest, Chris Squire and Curved Air plus pop artists such as Kim Wilde and Mel and Kim

Esoteric Recordings are delighted to announce that Barclay James Harvest, Be-Bop Deluxe, Chris Squire and Curved Air titles will appear on the Esoteric Recordings imprint and a full scale reissue programme will go ahead , hopefully starting later this year and continuing through 2018 onwards.

And hopefully after "Fish Out Of Water" is reissued, Esoteric can then do the same for "Olias of Sunhillow" (Jon Anderson's first solo album).

:)

And hopefully after "Fish Out Of Water" is reissued, Esoteric can then do the same for "Olias of Sunhillow" (Jon Anderson's first solo album).

I wish they could get back to the Tony Banks catalog. It's been ages since the first releases.

But certainly won't complain about getting Fish Out of Water. That'll be a must-buy.

Elias is my fave from the Yes solo period, and it may be the best candidate for 5.1 if it were my choice. Fish sounded like a band album, Olias was a densely layered solo album that would be better served in 5.1

Olias is fantastic, it would sound great in 5.1, it would also make a wonderful full vinyl sized 5.1 box set, the original LP artwork is excellent (and well thumbed!). I also have a Japanese import CD of the album (and somewhere the AF SACD) and the full artwork on the insert is just too small to do the artwork justice.

PS: Alan White's "Ramshackled" isn't bad either

Elias is my fave from the Yes solo period, and it may be the best candidate for 5.1 if it were my choice. Fish sounded like a band album, Olias was a densely layered solo album that would be better served in 5.1

"Olias" is very layered, and the layered production along with the music itself does make the album a great candidate for a 5.1 mix.
However, "Fish Out Of Water" is very layered as well, and if the 5.1 mix is done correctly, then you could essentially have most of the band in the front with most of the orchestra in the back, which would be a great way to add some clarity to those dense arrangements Squire put together with Andrew Jackman.

I'd definitely be in for both of these! I think Olias would have a bit more to offer in 5.1, but not much. I've enjoyed both of these titles ever since their original release. Also of interest to me is the mention of Be-Bop Deluxe. Not very successful commercially, they fit in with a lot of very artistic bands of that era that just didn't get much radio airplay. I'd love to see Sunburst Finish and Modern Music be given the deluxe treatment. These are two more albums that I've been listening to since they were released (around the same time as Fish... and Olias). That was a very fertile period for good music!

Back