Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, there's a very recent interview with Jakko here:
https://60stoday.com/2017/10/13/a-conversation-with-jakko-jakszyk-of-king-crimson/

Mostly about his King Crimson duties out he did also have this to say:
I have a lot of work when I get back. I remix a lot of stuff from the original multi-track tapes – I did the first two Bruford albums earlier this year, which are just about to come out, and I just finished a Jethro Tull record of live stuff from the ‘Heavy Horses’ album. And when I get back, I’m doing a Chris Squire album from 1975, called ‘Fish out of Water’.

In the first message of this thread, more than 4 year ago, it is said that a 5.1 mix is about to be completed. Why is Jakko doing a new one?

Didn't Cherry Red/Esoteric Records obtain the rights recently to release a few artists back catalogues, one of which was Chris Squire's solo music (along with Renaissance - in 5.1 please!), and said they were going to do some Deluxe sets. So maybe they have commissioned a new mix as they don't have the rights to that 'other' mix - maybe it was never completed. Time will tell......hopefully

In the first message of this thread, more than 4 year ago, it is said that a 5.1 mix is about to be completed. Why is Jakko doing a new one?

Didn't Cherry Red/Esoteric Records obtain the rights recently to release a few artists back catalogues, one of which was Chris Squire's solo music (along with Renaissance - in 5.1 please!), and said they were going to do some Deluxe sets. So maybe they have commissioned a new mix as they don't have the rights to that 'other' mix - maybe it was never completed. Time will tell......hopefully

AFAIK, a 5.1 mix of "Fish Out Of Water" was completed a few years ago before Chris Squire's death, but it was mixed by Tim Weidner, the one who originally mixed "Fragile" in 5.1 for its original DVDA-V release back in the early 2000s.
I have always disliked that 5.1 mix so I wasn't that pleased that Tim Weidner was the one working with Chris on a "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix.
If Cherry Red/Esoteric are commissioning Jakko to remix "Fish Out Of Water" either because they can't release Weidner's 5.1 mix or they don't want to, then I could not be happier.
I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of Jakko's 5.1 work, but apart from his 5.1 mix of "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression" (from ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery") I have loved all of his other 5.1 mixes a lot more than Weidner's 5.1 mix of "Fragile", so I'm greatly looking forward to see what Jakko does with the album!

:)

I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of Jakko's 5.1 work, but apart from his 5.1 mix of "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression" (from ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery") I have loved all of his other 5.1 mixes a lot more than Weidner's 5.1 mix of "Fragile", so I'm greatly looking forward to see what Jakko does with the album!

Agree. I think Jakko tends to get a bad rap just because of that one song. I have really liked a lot of his mixes.

I'll also chime in and say that I generally like what Jakko does in 5.1, the usual exception of course (KE9.3).

Without derailing the thread (again!) too much I also think that after hearing the 5.1 mixes that Bruce Soord has done lately really ought to get him some work in this area too, if he wants it.

AFAIK, a 5.1 mix of "Fish Out Of Water" was completed a few years ago before Chris Squire's death, but it was mixed by Tim Weidner, the one who originally mixed "Fragile" in 5.1 for its original DVDA-V release back in the early 2000s.
I have always disliked that 5.1 mix so I wasn't that pleased that Tim Weidner was the one working with Chris on a "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix.
If Cherry Red/Esoteric are commissioning Jakko to remix "Fish Out Of Water" either because they can't release Weidner's 5.1 mix or they don't want to, then I could not be happier.

The Tim Weidner 5.1 mix wasn't 100% completed before Chris's death from what I have heard (but close to it), and apparently it wasn't very good and not everybody was pleased with it.

So I'd say it's good news that a new one by Jakko was commissioned. :)

As an aside, Renaissance in 5.1, that would be awesome and I'd be all over that, especially Prologue.

The Tim Weidner 5.1 mix wasn't 100% completed before Chris's death from what I have heard (but close to it), and apparently it wasn't very good and not everybody was pleased with it.

So I'd say it's good news that a new one by Jakko was commissioned. :)

Not one says it was...yet. Speculation at this point

Not just that. His Trilogy mix (the album) is underwhelming. And KE Pt 3 isn't the only problem with his BSS remix.

! I thought the Trilogy mix was spectacular on DVD. Made me appreciate the album far more than when it came out. Of course, I lost interest in ELP after that album (maybe I'd spring for a blu ray 5.1 Pictures at an Exhibition, though :smokin

And yes, I have the 5.1 BSS. Doesn't get played much, although maybe it should.

Not just that. His Trilogy mix (the album) is underwhelming. And KE Pt 3 isn't the only problem with his BSS remix.

Agree....the Trilogy 5.1 mix was very dry, nothing like what SW can achieve from the 1st 2 ELP albums he did.

Back