Chris Squire "Fish Out Of Water" 5.1 mix (Blu-Ray Edition out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand that hesitation, however, Esoteric have a much better track record.
All of their recent Barclay James Harvest reissues had DTS audio, and all but one of their Anthony Phillips reissues were DVD-A/V discs, so I feel a lot more confident that the audio on this release will be better than it was on the Bill Bruford box set.

:)

I’m more concerned about Jakko’s mix... again, especially for the price. This is one I’ll wait to hear reviews on before purchasing.

So at minimum we should have a DTS 96/24 (DVDA anyone ?) Disc.

Too bad they stuck all that VERY unnecessary vinyl in a box. It really escalates the price way beyond the reach of some (me 4 one).

Good news though , that it's finally gonna happen.

Esoteric does sometime issue smaller Deluxe editions such as they did for Hawkwind, so.....crossing my fingers.

So at minimum we should have a DTS 96/24 (DVDA anyone ?) Disc.

Too bad they stuck all that VERY unnecessary vinyl in a box. It really escalates the price way beyond the reach of some (me 4 one).

Good news though , that it's finally gonna happen.

Esoteric does sometime issue smaller Deluxe editions such as they did for Hawkwind, so.....crossing my fingers.

There is a smaller edition, but it just contains the 2 CDs. The DVDs are exclusive to the box set.
Also, the packshot actually shows "DVD-Video" on the 5.1 surround DVD, so I'm expecting DTS 96/24 audio at best, but if that's what it is, then that's fine with me.

70 pounds... I like the record a lot, but after Bruford's box disaster I'm a bit hesitant to jump in without listening to it before (or waiting for QQ comments)

Despite all of its obvious issues, at least with the Bruford box we got two albums mixed into surround. I'm not panning this, it looks enticing. But £70 does feel like a lot to pay for the amount of content. The vinyl is obviously driving the price up. Would have been nice though if hi-res stereo and 5.1 mixes of "Run With the Fox" could have been on the DVD. I imagine once all the other obvious vendors have it listed we'll see some lower prices. It will be tough to resist this, I really do love the album.

On a different note, on Cherry Red's website I noticed that they're releasing yet another Procol Harum box set. 5 CDs/3 DVDs. First 3 CDs are just rehashing singles and LP tracks. 4th disc is a Hollywood Bowl concert that, while an amazing performance, has been bootlegged to death over the years. CD 5 is a concert from 1976 that I don't recognize. The three DVDs are all TV performances. Procol's catalog has been rehashed so many times. I wish they would finally get off their butts and do some surround mixes.

EDIT: Oh, and Cherry Red also has another Anthony Philips set on the way for Invisible Men. Unfortunately, no surround mix in this one. :(

What amazes me is how authoring two DVDs can be cheaper than a single Blu-ray with all the audio visual content.
And despite my criticism, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger...

I believe the royalties paid for making a Blu-Ray are high, and I think they are paid up front as part of the manufacturing cost.

Its a no brainer for me :banana: I'm going to have to get it.

What amazes me is how authoring two DVDs can be cheaper than a single Blu-ray with all the audio visual content.
And despite my criticism, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger...

There is a smaller edition, but it just contains the 2 CDs. The DVDs are exclusive to the box set.
Also, the packshot actually shows "DVD-Video" on the 5.1 surround DVD, so I'm expecting DTS 96/24 audio at best, but if that's what it is, then that's fine with me.

It's no guarantee at all against the sort of disaster that occurred on the Bruford set

FWIW, 'Run With The Fox" was released on CD way back on the Yesyears boxed set, but this will be the first digital release of the (superior, to my ears) instrumental B-side "Return of the Fox"

It's no guarantee at all against the sort of disaster that occurred on the Bruford set

True, but like I said in an earlier post, Esoteric have a good track record over the last 3 years with the Anthony Phillips and Barclay James Harvest reissues, so if this release is at least up to those standards, this will be a really good release!

True, but like I said in an earlier post, Esoteric have a good track record over the last 3 years with the Anthony Phillips and Barclay James Harvest reissues, so if this release is at least up to those standards, this will be a really good release!

Whereas I'd say the #1 factor that will make this 'really good' or not is the quality of the remix(es)...and unless Jakko did those two previous ones (he didn't), then there is still no guarantee, given his record so far.

Am also curious to see if the FooW video is speed-corrected. The previous DVD release has it running fast /higher pitched (I'm guessing it's a PAL vs NTSC thing?). A lower-gen video source would be nice too.

That sort of attention to detail would be...pleasing. If I had to bet through, I'd bet that they just dumped the extras from the older release, onto this one, as is.

Whereas I'd say the #1 factor that will make this 'really good' or not is the quality of the remix(es)...and unless Jakko did those two previous ones (he didn't), then there is still no guarantee, given his record so far.

I like “THRAK”, “Trilogy”, and most of “Brain Salad Surgery”, so I’m willing to give Jakko the benefit of the doubt until I hear it.

I like “THRAK”, “Trilogy”, and most of “Brain Salad Surgery”, so I’m willing to give Jakko the benefit of the doubt until I hear it.

I also like the 5.1 live work he has done on the Jethro Tull releases and it was good to see the positive endorsement from Mr Begg's on hearing FOOW surround release so that's one thumbs up already on the 5.1.

Back