BluRay Music Video Poll EAGLES - HISTORY OF THE EAGLES [Blu-Ray][DTS-HD MA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of The Eagles - HISTORY OF THE EAGLES

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Blu-Ray Video Release on Capitol. It's a 3 Disc set (also available on DVD) with the 2 Part Documentary on 2 Blu-Ray discs, and a concert from 1977 on a 3rd Blu-Ray disc. It appears that this is not a complete concert.

Eagles History Front 600.jpg
Eagles History Back 600.jpg

I did a quick check of these discs today. The 2 disc documentary, as shown on Showtime earlier this year (2013), has a very discrete 5.1 soundtrack. There is an almost complete LP version of the song "The Long Run" at the end of disc 2 that has Elliot Scheiner written all over it. Guitars isolated in the rears, vocals only in the center, etc. Totally discrete.

The concert disc (Disc 3), is basically a 3 channel mix, with very discrete instrument placement. The rears are almost all crowd noise with echo/reverb of what's in the fronts, a very "stadium" type mix. If you look at the wav's, you won't see any music wave forms in the rear channels at all.

More later, but these discs do show that songs from "Long Road Out of Eden" and "The Long Run" albums do have 5.1 mixes somewhere for many of the songs.

So "The Long Run" is the only almost-complete song on this disc? Everything else is edited or talked-over, I assume?

by the sounds of an interview with the Better Than Ezra drummer (link I read on QQ I can't find now!) he intimates that there's an Eagles 5.1 album on the way, so maybe sit tight and enjoy the little 5.1 that's on this.. and good things will come!

I know it always seems like good stuff is only round the corner but I'm confident it'll come, though its hard to stay patient..

Loved the documentary and it's nice to hear the songs with decent sound. The 5.1 mix seems to have been done with great care - it's just a shame (and frustrating) that we only get partial songs.

What i can't figure out is why there are differences between the the UK and US sets - it's annoying that the UK doesn't get the bonus, concert disc (but par for the course with the ways DVDs have been issued over the years) but why is the documentary on two discs in the States and just one in the UK - I presume both parts come to the same running time?

The 5.1 mix on the song fragments is very impressive. The "Long Road Out of Eden" tracks especially sound great and its a shame they never released that double LP in 5.1. Sure, there are clunkers on it, but one could make a great 5.1 DVD-A out of the good tracks.

I love it when the artist/producer takes the time to create a real 5.1 mix for a project like this. There are so many that just upmix some tunes and proclaim a "STUNNING SURROUND MIX" that isn't. This one gets a 10 for the program mix from me.

The concert is not that great a mix, but they probably didn't have multitrack masters from this old concert. The rears are mostly crowd, and the fronts are basically wide stereo with very little direct placement. Sounds good though!

The 5.1 mix on the song fragments is very impressive. The "Long Road Out of Eden" tracks especially sound great and its a shame they never released that double LP in 5.1. Sure, there are clunkers on it, but one could make a great 5.1 DVD-A out of the good tracks.

I love it when the artist/producer takes the time to create a real 5.1 mix for a project like this. There are so many that just upmix some tunes and proclaim a "STUNNING SURROUND MIX" that isn't. This one gets a 10 for the program mix from me.

The concert is not that great a mix, but they probably didn't have multitrack masters from this old concert. The rears are mostly crowd, and the fronts are basically wide stereo with very little direct placement. Sounds good though!

Are " The Long Road Out Of Eden tracks, just snippets, or any full songs ? I love the album.

related tangent Rob, have you got the DTS CD of Don Henleys "The End of The Innocence"? if you haven't you must get it, it's gorgeous.

I was going to buy it sometime ago, Adam ? It was available on Amazon, at a reasonable price....I think it's more pricey & harder to find now ??

Gorgeous ?....of course that's down to the masters !...Mr David Paich & Mr. Steve Porcaro !! :D

I was going to buy it sometime ago, Adam ? It was available on Amazon, at a reasonable price....I think it's more pricey & harder to find now ??

Gorgeous ?....of course that's down to the masters !...Mr David Paich & Mr. Steve Porcaro !! :D

haha! sure is! I'll see if I can find it anywhere for sensible money :)

still comes up every now and then for around a tenner but best I can see is £31 at the min., its really lovely but that's too much (imho).

Thanks Adam, yes I've just seen that. It's $30 on Amazon.com with an indepedant seller....might see if they ship to the U.K. ?

Thanks Adam, yes I've just seen that. It's $30 on Amazon.com with an indepedant seller....might see if they ship to the U.K. ?

http://www.5point1.com/CLASSIC_ROCK-DON_HENLEY_The_End_of_The_Innocence.html

these guys (I think its Larry Klenin?) ship to the UK. I've bought a fair few things from them over the years.

watch out for customs charges though.. I've got whammed every time I've bought from 5.1.com.. That UK @£30 is probably your best bet as by the time you've paid £9 shipping plus minimum £10 duty, it'll be more expensive getting it from the USA.

http://www.5point1.com/CLASSIC_ROCK-DON_HENLEY_The_End_of_The_Innocence.html

these guys (I think its Larry Klenin?) ship to the UK. I've bought a fair few things from them over the years.

watch out for customs charges though.. I've got whammed every time I've bought from 5.1.com.. That UK @£30 is probably your best bet as by the time you've paid £9 shipping plus minimum £10 duty, it'll be more expensive getting it from the USA.

Thanks Adam, the Amazon sellers are 5.1.com. Yes I think you're right. I hate buying used though, but don't want to get stung for customs charges ( it's happened too often !! )

I agree 100% on descrete 5.1-mix in the documentary - it is really good, as is the content (only seen part 1 so far). I think I appreciate the mix a bit more than you on the concert - OK, it is front heavy but the mix in those three channels are really good. I saw Eagles in Stockholm 1977 and to have this vintage recording in, what I consider, very good VQ/SQ is a real treat. I am glad that my Oppo is region free, since the three disc version with the concert is not available here in Europe.

Back