HiRez Poll BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Well, I really want to support any hi-res releases to reward and support those brave enough and passionate enough to put them out.

I knew of the name Better Than Ezra but had not heard a single note of their music so I listened to samples of each song from this album at AllMusic.
Unfortunately I didn't hear anything that even remotely made me want to buy this disc.
But that's OK, I can use the money on other surround release instead.
Hope this isn't viewed as a thread crap, not meant to be one.

I love this disc, the one "new" surround release I've got excited about, but like you, I only buy surround releases that I like ( or think I will like )
I would not just buy something to support the format ! A surround mix could be the best thing i've ever heard, but if you don't care for / like the music, what's the point of wasting your money buying it ! ?

I love this disc, the one "new" surround release I've got excited about, but like you, I only buy surround releases that I like ( or think I will like )
I would not just buy something to support the format ! A surround mix could be the best thing i've ever heard, but if you don't care for / like the music, what's the point of wasting your money buying it ! ?

its all about the music! :p

personally I've bought some stuff I'd never ever entertain in stereo (most of it I've ended up surprising myself by enjoying a lot!) but I'm mindful of that expression "one man's meat is another man's poison".. and "one man's Mars is another man's Topic..!" and nobody should feel obliged to buy something 'just because' its in surround (y)

First off, I'm not getting the same "bright", "bass shy" sensations of some folks here (but then my systems warm with relaxed treble and rich bass) so something has to be really bright and really light on bass to show up such "deficiencies" on my rig!

One thing there can be no doubt about, the surround mix here is absolutely wonderful! things fly about when they need to and open up or go nice and subtle as each song (and each part of each song) dictates. Very sensitive, very intelligent mixing decisions made throughout, I feel and it doesn't hold back, there's tons of discrete rear information and the centre channel is used extensively and most effectively throughout.

fidelity is great, lovely and open and surprisingly analogue sounding for a production of its time. there's some compression (not digital/mp3 yuckiness but normalising/loudness type) so it doesn't need cranking as much as others but its judiciously used and the overall sound quality really is excellent.

FWIW, this is an album/artist I would not have bought in stereo but I'm very thankful for the introduction, I love it and if this is the direction Music Valet are to go in with future releases, I look forward to having my musical horizons broadened by their output down the line.

if I've any criticisms, it's the slightly poor packaging.. the disc hub holder in the digipack is nastily tight and could crack the disc hub.. Plus the outer packaging is a bit thin and flimsy.. the shrinkwrap was wrapped too tight and bent over every external corner of the card on my copy.

I'd personally like to see either Hi-Res Stereo and/or CD included in these sets but its not essential if it keeps costs down (both to Music Valet in production and to the end user/customer).. plus the excellent making of documentary video (which is on You Tube) would have been a nice bonus here.

other than that, for their very first 5.1 Surround Music release, Music Valet should be immensely proud of their achievements. They have got more things right than they have wrong from the very start - it augurs very well indeed for the future.

to sum up, this is a superb surround mix presented in a no-nonsense (consequently no-frills!) package, on my favourite Hi-Res Surround format (DVD-Audio).

its a PERFECT 10 from me.

I would add that my score of "10" is based on the 3 criteria of "surround mix", "fidelity" and "content", as suggested in the Poll itself.

If I were to deduct anything it would be for packaging (minus 1) and lack of CD (minus another 1) but I really felt this would be unfair as the mix, fidelity and content (the 3 key factors for me) are all exemplary.

so long as Music Valet get the feedback/message from their customers that they need to improve the packaging, I'll be very happy. I just want this to be the springboard from which many more similarly brilliant new surround music titles dive into my player!

I would add that my score of "10" is based on the 3 criteria of "surround mix", "fidelity" and "content", as suggested in the Poll itself.

If I were to deduct anything it would be for packaging (minus 1) and lack of CD (minus another 1) but I really felt this would be unfair as the mix, fidelity and content (the 3 key factors for me) are all exemplary.

so long as Music Valet get the feedback/message from their customers that they need to improve the packaging, I'll be very happy. I just want this to be the springboard from which many more similarly brilliant new surround music titles dive into my player!

I wish the polls were in two sections ( two votes ) One for mix & fidelity & one other purely for music & content.
I may not care for a surround mix of an album, but may love the music,( for example, Gloria Estefan...yes, I know there's no poll for this one !...I don't know why ?? ) so in those circumstances, I feel I may not be giving a fair reflection on my vote / score ??

I wish the polls were in two sections ( two votes ) One for mix & fidelity & one other purely for music & content.
I may not care for a surround mix of an album, but may love the music,( for example, Gloria Estefan...yes, I know there's no poll for this one !...I don't know why ?? ) so in those circumstances, I feel I may not be giving a fair reflection on my vote / score ??

Gloria's mix is very good! I don't know why people bash it so..!?

Yes there's lots of bongo's hard in your rears but its FUN..!!! at least its not bloody ambience & reverb back there! sheesh kebabs! :p ;)

ps, I think the Polls are just right (y)

Gloria's mix is very good! I don't know why people bash it so..!?

Yes there's lots of bongo's hard in your rears but its FUN..!!! at least its not bloody ambience & reverb back there! sheesh kebabs! :p ;)

ps, I think the Polls are just right (y)

Ok, Goldilocks !! ;)

When I've upgraded my speakers, i'll give GLORIA !! another chance. ( My " noise sensitivity " may be a factor, with this disc ? )

I may not care for a surround mix of an album, but may love the music
I hear you. My preference is that the poll be based on Mix and Fidelity only. Those are the things that I want to hear about from the people who have listened to the disc. Content is much much more of a personal matter so it is really up to the individual to evaluate whether they will like it or not.

is that a Steely Dan ("Do It Again") sample at the beginning of "Like It Like That"?

.. and there's what sounds like other samples from other records in there too..!?

Thats what I thought as well, sounds a lot like Steely Dan on that track. Some other hooks sound familiar too. Not a bad thing though. It is nice music and the mix is very good. The card board sleeve is a bit thin, but does have a nice texture for the seahorse and the face on the cover. Well done.

Need to give it a few more spins before I will vote.

is that a Steely Dan ("Do It Again") sample at the beginning of "Like It Like That"?

.. and there's what sounds like other samples from other records in there too..!?

It's funny that you noticed the similarity in that opening section of Like It Like That. I was going to mention that in my original review. I don't think it's actually sampled, but those first few notes are amazingly similar to the start of Do It Again.

It's funny that you noticed the similarity in that opening section of Like It Like That. I was going to mention that in my original review. I don't think it's actually sampled, but those first few notes are amazingly similar to the start of Do It Again.

Maybe Music Valet can get some 5.1 Steely Dan out there..!!!???!!!

:51banana:

........ for example, Gloria Estefan...yes, I know there's no poll for this one !...I don't know why ??.....

Operator malfunction!!! :mad:@:

I will get right on it. Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.....

Thats what I thought as well, sounds a lot like Steely Dan on that track. Some other hooks sound familiar too. Not a bad thing though. It is nice music and the mix is very good. The card board sleeve is a bit thin, but does have a nice texture for the seahorse and the face on the cover. Well done.

Need to give it a few more spins before I will vote.

I hear so many influences in their songs, but the frustrating thing is I can't quite pin point those influences ?

I could imagine Bono singing sections ( " Hosanna " section ) of track 2 One More Murder, and Robbie Williams & Suede singing Allison Foley ( with a Jellyfish vocal vibe thrown in, i.e. the "so long, Allison Foley " section. )
Every track reminds me of someone else ?

Once I finally had a chance to pop in this disc, after listening to the first 2 tracks, I thought for sure I'd give it an 8, but then from track 3 onward, I began to love the album more and more, and that's how I arrived at my '9' rating.
Very discrete & fun mix. Songwriting and musicianship are also excellent. Great title to kick off Music Valet's new service.
Only downside for me is not getting a stereo mix on the DVD-A (also the exclusion of a CD).
CD/DVD-A packages are still the way to go. (or DualDiscs...)

......Only downside for me is not getting a stereo mix on the DVD-A (also the exclusion of a CD).
CD/DVD-A packages are still the way to go. (or DualDiscs...)

It might be that Music Valet is only licensed to sell the surround version of their product. This way it does not compete with the original label or distribution. If that's the deal, or if it saves money in licensing fees for Music Valet, then that's fine with me. We want the surround disc to be the priority. We can always go out and find the CD, the DVD-A is the real prize.

For a band I'd never heard of this is a really good disc, I like the music and the 5.1 mix.

So I'm looking forward to future releases from Music Valet.

Back