HiRez Poll BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
How can i get one? im from Mexico City.....i can´t buy it nowhere, and Music Valet doesn´t ship to Mexico either..........

I just ordered after reading only two pages of this Thread. I have the original CD along with a couple of others by BTE. I'd like to see more from Music Valet in 5.1. If there are any future plans for more Ezra, I'd like to see "Closer" and "Friction Baby". I wish the founder the best of luck on getting some quality popular recordings that we have yet to see in the surround format and I welcome either DVD-A or BD. :banana:

I just finished playing the entire disc plus a few songs I repeated. I was a little surprised during the first couple minutes of the first song because it sounded like just above cd quality to my ears. Sure enough, I press the audio button on the remote and it's at 48k. Not sure if that's the problem or not. I found the sound good but not excellent. I wanted it to be clearer...separation between instruments. Not my favorite Ezra disc and with this particular one, I give it a 7 for music, 8 for mix a 3 for packaging. If the packaging was done to save on cost, I would have gladly paid a couple more bucks for a DVD-A or cd box. If I would have known this was a 24/48 release, I would have passed on it. This will teach me to read the finer details before purchase. Overall, a 6 for me.

I just finished playing the entire disc plus a few songs I repeated. I was a little surprised during the first couple minutes of the first song because it sounded like just above cd quality to my ears. Sure enough, I press the audio button on the remote and it's at 48k. Not sure if that's the problem or not. I found the sound good but not excellent. I wanted it to be clearer...separation between instruments. Not my favorite Ezra disc and with this particular one, I give it a 7 for music, 8 for mix a 3 for packaging. If the packaging was done to save on cost, I would have gladly paid a couple more bucks for a DVD-A or cd box. If I would have known this was a 24/48 release, I would have passed on it. This will teach me to read the finer details before purchase. Overall, a 6 for me.

I don't think the fact that its 24/48 has anything to do with the sound quality you perceive.

As an example do you think Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream is bad sound quality because its 24/48?

I don't know. I haven't listened to that one in years.

I can always spot something about the sound if it's not, at least, 24/88.2.

i guess they aren't have higher resolution of recording. albeit 96KHz tech easily available, sadly
majority of sessions still recorded @ 44 or 48KHz.
upsampling to higher res of such recording won't change anything, at least without throughly
remastering of the source.

To each their own Jeffrey. However, I do enjoy quite a lot of discs that are not 24/88.1 or higher. Some are even DD only.

True, as do I but with the technology out there, I shouldn't have to settle for less when there is more to be heard.

My sentiments entirely. 24/48 is more than good enough (I'm not a bat) and, yes, I have several albums that I play regularly that are DD only.

Again, why should I have to settle for parts of the music when I can have more of it? 16/44.1 I never liked but settled with for convenience sake.

Ok , THAT subject again....

Well,for once I can also tell them apart,
BUT,
there is not a HUGE difference between 96/24 and 48/24, it's very minimal...

Now, the HUGE difference is the 24 bits, THAT makes it worth it...

As for the BTE , as with most the PT catralog, so , they decided 48 instead of 96, cool,
YES we would LOVE it if it were 96 , but we got 48..deal with it!

end of (respectful)rant,

True, as do I but with the technology out there, I shouldn't have to settle for less when there is more to be heard.

Again, why should I have to settle for parts of the music when I can have more of it? 16/44.1 I never liked but settled with for convenience sake.

you can't hear what is printed on the back of a booklet. Enjoy the music and appreciate the efforts of the musicians and producer/mixer at the best they have to offer.

Last edited:
you can't hear what is printed on the back of a booklet. Enjoy the music and appreciate the efforts of the musicians and producer/mixer at the best they have to offer.

I agree and "Liked" your Post before you changed it regarding you can't make chicken scratch out of chicken $hit.. And, I still like what you have to say, now that it's changed. (y)

I agree and "Liked" your Post before you changed it regarding you can't make chicken scratch out of chicken $hit.. And, I still like what you have to say, now that it's changed. (y)

I appreciate your reply - thought I was perhaps beating a dead horse when I edited the comment. I prefer to hear the best that is available as well - just don't want to limit my opportunites to a narrow bandwidth. It's all good. Chances are, if were on this forum, we're of like mind to begin with!

I chuckle that once upon a time, some of us listened to quad 8 tracks and thought these were okay.

Today we have an embarrassment of riches by comparison!

just a short notice for our german members. Rich LaBonte mailed me that he'll set up shipping to Germany tomorrow. So if you live in Germany, you'll know what to do (order it, it is)

Well this is the DVD-A that mistakenly got me into this addiction. I am a huge BTE fan and was emailed a fan club ad about this release, thinking "neato this will be koo on my regular DVD home theatre system. Got the DVD-A with big words on it saying only will play in DVD-A players............I lucked out my cheapo LG dvt418 was compatible. Still not knowing what I had in my hand, I slid it in and went woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah what world am I in?

Since then I have upgraded and spent waaay too much on the fascination

So I am kind of Jaded in that this was my first.............it opened my ears and head to a whole different world of music.

I was going to give it an 8 , but chose a 9 due to the impact it has had on me in this new 5.1 listening lifestyle. Not my favourite BTE release ("Friction, Baby" is) I can see why they chose this over any of their other titles.

Thought it was a strong mix, had to turn up the SW a couple DBs. Strong center vocal which I like with a lil vocal bleed outs to the fronts and pretty good use of the back surround speakers instrumentation too. I gave it a 9, but really 8 to 8.5 - added that extra half point or more due to fan of the group and the impact on my 5.1 addiction. You will not be disappointed if you pick this up. For under 20 bux ya can't go wrong.

U will find yourself doing this >>>>:51banana:

Hey Snood, sorry if this disc made you spend an inordinate amount on equipment. It is one of those addictions that's hard to stop. Glad you're enjoying the disc. More to come soon. We're finally getting ready to announce a few new titles in the near term.

Best,

Rich LaBonte

Well this is the DVD-A that mistakenly got me into this addiction. I am a huge BTE fan and was emailed a fan club ad about this release, thinking "neato this will be koo on my regular DVD home theatre system. Got the DVD-A with big words on it saying only will play in DVD-A players............I lucked out my cheapo LG dvt418 was compatible. Still not knowing what I had in my hand, I slid it in and went woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah what world am I in?

Since then I have upgraded and spent waaay too much on the fascination

So I am kind of Jaded in that this was my first.............it opened my ears and head to a whole different world of music.

I was going to give it an 8 , but chose a 9 due to the impact it has had on me in this new 5.1 listening lifestyle. Not my favourite BTE release ("Friction, Baby" is) I can see why they chose this over any of their other titles.

Thought it was a strong mix, had to turn up the SW a couple DBs. Strong center vocal which I like with a lil vocal bleed outs to the fronts and pretty good use of the back surround speakers instrumentation too. I gave it a 9, but really 8 to 8.5 - added that extra half point or more due to fan of the group and the impact on my 5.1 addiction. You will not be disappointed if you pick this up. For under 20 bux ya can't go wrong.

U will find yourself doing this >>>>:51banana:

Back