HiRez Poll BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of BetterThanEzra - HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm going to go ahead and give this disc a 10. It's a weak 10, just because of packaging and no hi-res stereo.
But, the mix and sonics sound AWESOME on my system and I love the music.
Makes me wish some Cake, Blur, Radiohead and a whole lot more '90's music could be mixed to 5.1.
Here's hoping!

I really like this one too, but always thought it needed more bass. No matter what, it's a great album, and the mix is in 10 territory without a question.

Richard, who mixed it and runs the issuing label, Valet Music, wanted to license more music for 5.1 mixing, but nothing materialized. Too bad! I think there was great potential, after this release.

I bought this one earlier this year direct from Music Valet. Richard added sum warm words of thanks on a sticky with the purchase.
I find it slightly light on the tone as the lack of a substantial bass line gives the light musical pitch more prominence.
But that being said, the overall mix is very discrete and the music is engaging.
It is a shame that after producing this early fine effort, there is no more from that stable.
I wonder why that is? Lack of funds maybe.
Has anyone kept in contact with Richard to find out what the score is?

Anyways, I will vote a 9

I had a few conversations with him shortly after the release. He was confident that he was going to follow-up with another release before long. Problem appears to be he didn't have the relationship with other bands that he did here that allowed the surround disc release to come to fruition. Reality is a 2x4 sometimes.

I had a few conversations with him shortly after the release. He was confident that he was going to follow-up with another release before long. Problem appears to be he didn't have the relationship with other bands that he did here that allowed the surround disc release to come to fruition. Reality is a 2x4 sometimes.
That's a real shame..maybe he should team up with the QQ'rs who are actively makin and selling surround music.

Jan Printz at surround music dot one seems to be gaining some traction.

Yes Mike..although I've only bought one of the blu rays so far , next year I'm gonna be getting a few more.
Like you, they get the surroundy stuff.
It's not double stereo
It's not, lets not mix this too much but issue anyway.
There are sum peeps out there, still not getting what surround is about.

Oh dear
Rant ova

Maybe an idea is to give a panel of QQr's a chance to give their views before it's released.:unsure:

Last edited:
This was the disc that Snood bought by accident thinking it was a a regular dvd or cd and was supposed to magically output to 5.1 somehow - not knowing anything about surround. Got the disc in mail and it said plays in DVD-A players only, Snood was like wtf is that? Luckily my POS LG player at the time was compatible and it played and Snood went :eek::LB:51QQ

Owe me surround fun experiences all to this disc & Richard :QQlove

This was the disc that Snood bought by accident thinking it was a a regular dvd or cd and was supposed to magically output to 5.1 somehow - not knowing anything about surround. Got the disc in mail and it said plays in DVD-A players only, Snood was like wtf is that? Luckily my POS LG player at the time was compatible and it played and Snood went :eek::LB:51QQ

Owe me surround fun experiences all to this disc & Richard :QQlove

It's really strange but nice, how sum of us have stumbled across surround music, what with me and Elton Johns Honky Chateau SACD way back in 2011. Its kinda spooky. almost if it's meant to be. (or Snoody!!):)

It would be even Better FOR Ezra if Snood set up his new 5.1 system which he's been putting off........those wonderful ELAC speakers and not one but two new OPPOs.....the 203 for week days and the 205 for those special week end listening experiences!

BTW, I voted 9 for Ezra .... love that disc! I even have two copies.

It's really strange but nice, how sum of us have stumbled across surround music, what with me and Elton Johns Honky Chateau SACD way back in 2011. Its kinda spooky. almost if it's meant to be. (or Snoody!!):)

I have this disc and when done with I am listening to now, I’m gonna listen again and vote.
But great statement about stumbling into surround. I can’t remember actually. I knew about SACD, and bought a machine thinking all SACD where mch, disappointing when my first two where stereo. I stumbled onto SA-CD.net and basically learned everything there, not everything, actually have learned more at QQ.

I voted 10. Purely from the surround sound. The music is just part of that 90’s genre, 311, Blur, etc, that I always loved the hits but not so much the deep tracks. I don’t think this has a radio hit?
The mix and fidelity are perfect, I’m no engineer but I always think how would I have mixed it and this guy nailed it. The use of center channel is perfect, many screw up the center channel, but not this guy.
Overall I think this is about 50/50 between discrete (lots of use with instruments between speakers) and immersive ( like double stereo), what I like is when the mix went into the immersive parts the mixing person brought just the tiniest bit of a certain instrument out of the rears, which kept my interest the entire disc. Highly enjoyed it, hope to meet somebody that is a Better Than Ezra freak and I could definitely blow there mind with this disc.

I voted 10. Purely from the surround sound. The music is just part of that 90’s genre, 311, Blur, etc, that I always loved the hits but not so much the deep tracks. I don’t think this has a radio hit?
The mix and fidelity are perfect, I’m no engineer but I always think how would I have mixed it and this guy nailed it. The use of center channel is perfect, many screw up the center channel, but not this guy.
Overall I think this is about 50/50 between discrete (lots of use with instruments between speakers) and immersive ( like double stereo), what I like is when the mix went into the immersive parts the mixing person brought just the tiniest bit of a certain instrument out of the rears, which kept my interest the entire disc. Highly enjoyed it, hope to meet somebody that is a Better Than Ezra freak and I could definitely blow there mind with this disc.

Markie, you'd probably have a better chance of Swimming to Alcatraz in the frigid waters of the SF Bay than meeting a Better Than Ezra fan!:eek:

Markie, you'd probably have a better chance of Swimming to Alcatraz in the frigid waters of the SF Bay than meeting a Better Than Ezra fan!:eek:

Snood is :hi - me got all their stuff and even went to see lead singer guitar Kevin Griffin Solo tour bout 2 years ago. Got set list and autograph:QQlove after concert. Best album: Friction Baby (1996) then Closer (2001)

Back