Thread: Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS [DVD-A]

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS [DVD-A]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2013 5.1 CD/DVD-Audio release from KScope. Those fortunate enough to pre-order the title received a bonus CD with instrumental versions of all the tracks (see scan below)

Pre-release discussion about this title can be found in the original "Rumor Mill" thread:
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...read.php?16587

Nosound Afterthoughts Postcard.jpg
    Nosound Afterthoughts Front 600.jpg
    nosound afterthoughts disc.jpg
    Nosound Afterthoughs Back 600.jpg
    Nosound Afterthoughts Bonus CD 600.jpg

:-jon

800 Club - QQ All Star Failed Muso's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS [DVD-A]

Well, I've played this through a couple of times since it arrived this morning. I was lucky enough to be one of the first batch of pre-orders to get the CD/DVD-A and bonus instrumental CD.

I plan on doing a more in-depth review over on my blog in the next few days but I will detail my initial findings. From a compositional perspective, this is a thoughtful album. It's mellow, ethereal and melancholy. When things pick up, tempo wise, later in the album, it's quite noticeable because the rest of the album is far more subdued. The lyrics are meandering and complex, not necessarily conforming to typical lyrical structure but then this is 'prog'

Production wise, it's a fine accomplishment which really springs to life in the 5.1 mix. Naturally, the MLP encoded mix is the finest; the clarity and detail shining through. Subtle use of the rears ensures a suitable sound-field and Giancarlo's vocals cut through nicely. This is definitely an album for cool, solitary evenings. Dim lights, a fine wine and this body of work will perfectly match your mood should you be feeling lonely, sad, thoughtful and forlorn.

The instrumental CD is a real bonus, in every sense of the word. The tracks are incredibly detailed and well put together and my only wish is that these were also available in 5.1, such is their quality.

Worth every penny and kudos to Giancarlo for responding to customer demand and releasing this in 5.1, especially in DVD-A, something I wish Steven Wilson had done with TRTRTS.

A fabulous achievement!

Bravo, Giancarlo. Bravo!
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

3. Thanks Dixie4, Robert van Diggele thanked for this post
    Likes LizardKing, peterzach liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Failed Muso View Post
    Well, I've played this through a couple of times since it arrived this morning. I was lucky enough to be one of the first batch of pre-orders to get the CD/DVD-A and bonus instrumental CD.

I plan on doing a more in-depth review over on my blog in the next few days but I will detail my initial findings. From a compositional perspective, this is a thoughtful album. It's mellow, ethereal and melancholy. When things pick up, tempo wise, later in the album, it's quite noticeable because the rest of the album is far more subdued. The lyrics are meandering and complex, not necessarily conforming to typical lyrical structure but then this is 'prog'

Production wise, it's a fine accomplishment which really springs to life in the 5.1 mix. Naturally, the MLP encoded mix is the finest; the clarity and detail shining through. Subtle use of the rears ensures a suitable sound-field and Giancarlo's vocals cut through nicely. This is definitely an album for cool, solitary evenings. Dim lights, a fine wine and this body of work will perfectly match your mood should you be feeling lonely, sad, thoughtful and forlorn.

The instrumental CD is a real bonus, in every sense of the word. The tracks are incredibly detailed and well put together and my only wish is that these were also available in 5.1, such is their quality.

Worth every penny and kudos to Giancarlo for responding to customer demand and releasing this in 5.1, especially in DVD-A, something I wish Steven Wilson had done with TRTRTS.

A fabulous achievement!

Bravo, Giancarlo. Bravo!
    Rob, thanks for this first review, I don't have my copy yet, its on its way.
    I don't want to take away from Nosound review but one thing you mentioned about Steve Wilson not doing Dvda's any more, if this is a Kscope issue and as Giancarlo says that Kscope checks out information from here I sure hope that Sw's releases could be done in cd\dvda again. It's the best format and reaches the most people. I would rebuy any of his most recent releases in cd\dvda even though I have it in bluray already.
    Giancarlo, thanks in advance again for getting this out on Dvda, look forward to getting my copy soon.

peter

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Neil Palfreyman's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky enough to be involved in the play-testing of this release so I am already quite familiar with the songs and have been eagerly awaiting the poll so I can share my thoughts and views. I've been a Nosound fan for a couple of years and have Giancarlo's other albums (including Sol 29 which also has a 5.1 mix, although not hi-definition.)

Afterthoughts clearly takes Nosound to another level both in terms of song composition and the audio/surround mix quality. The pieces are, on the whole, laid-back and awash with ambiance and atmosphere which is enhanced by Giancarlo's tasteful use of surround (and his endearing accent!) He's careful and attentive to the balance in the mix but also quite bold in places using the music to accentuate the meaning of the lyrics; for example the third song is called "The Anger Song" and without giving anything away, it's pretty obvious what represents the anger in the song! imho there isn't a bad track on the album, but Two Monkeys, The Anger Song, She, Paralysed and the title track stand out as exceptional. Afterthoughts in particular is incredibly beautiful and wouldn't be out of place on an epic movie soundtrack.

The use of the surround channels is discrete but not "in your face." The instrument and track 5.1 placement is used the most part to accentuate the feel of the songs; it's perfect for dimming the lights, drifting away and being saturated and washed over by the music.

Giancarlo must subscribe to the Steven Wilson school of dynamics as there's little or no overall compression and the dynamic range of the tracks is very wide as a result!

I must also praise the packaging and DVD authoring: The two discs come in a hard back/front digibook with an internal booklet containing lyrics, some very atmospheric photographs (not unlike Deadwing in feel) and also a credit to QQ! The DVD has every format anyone could want, the navigation is simple and clear and the photographs that accompany the tracks are very tasteful.

All in all this a very accomplished release and it's great to see artists like Giancarlo embracing the format and the format being backed by a KSope. As well as Nosound they have a *lot* of other great bands on their books and I really hope this experience (and, of course, the sales figures) encourages them to consider more releases in surround and I encourage everyone to do their bit and support this release. It gets full marks from me!

[Review based on 96k24bit MLP]

6. Thanks Robert van Diggele, peterzach thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

I've listened to the album a couple of time now in Hi-Res 5.1 and love it. Its the kind of new prog I love. Giancarlo and the band have done a wonderful job, and the ability to have Hi-Res surround, and uncompressed music is great, my system shows up all the detail, so it pays off.

I agree its been really nicely packaged, KScope are good at this, and its good they've gone for a Hi-Res 5.1 release (more please, from nosound and their label mates!). So tomorrow I'll listen to the CD and Instrumental bonus CD, then I suspect back to the 5.1 version.

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocialTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, we had this page linked to our bew website in the reviews, and Kscope said they are very happy to see these positive reactions, so keep the flow coming and thanks for your support

It was a pleasure to prepare this work since the start thinking about the surround in high resolution, and now the road is taken..we hope to be able to announce soon something more!

9. Thanks timbre4 thanked for this post
    Likes LizardKing, Frantic, peterzach, keenly liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had a listen to the MLP lossless track and I seem to have a problem with the time counter on my Oppo 83. The counter is counting at about half speed, the result is that the track ends and then the Oppo thinks there is still more to play and I have to wait several minutes before the next track is reached. I can manually advance to the next track of course. This doesn't occur on the DTS track. Anyone else have this problem?

The music is great though and very immerse.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Robert van Diggele's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

On my Oppo 105 I jave no problems with playback. I thought the Oppo83 was one of the machines we tested the ISO on as well, perhaps Mike ( LizardKing) tested this. Perhaps tou can drop him a message.

Level
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capsid View Post
    Just had a listen to the MLP lossless track and I seem to have a problem with the time counter on my Oppo 83. The counter is counting at about half speed, the result is that the track ends and then the Oppo thinks there is still more to play and I have to wait several minutes before the next track is reached. I can manually advance to the next track of course. This doesn't occur on the DTS track. Anyone else have this problem?

The music is great though and very immerse.
    I'll try this on my 83 when I receive the disc.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Capsid, in two cases with Oppo83 players (also LizardKing) there was a similar problem, that is odd because taking the MLP files from the disc works without problems and the disk passed all tests and checks at manufacturer so it seems some kind of very specific issue.

Anyway considering you can manually skip to next track I hope is not a major issue

Thanks for the kind words about the music, we're very happy of the surround mix (the best way to listen to this album honestly)!
    Last edited by nosound; 05-10-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Problem misunderstood!

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add that I am very happy with this release and see the Oppo83 issue as a minor quibble. It's the hi res 5.1 sound that is important to me and I love the music.

Level
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

I just added the scans to the first post, as my discs arrived today!!!

FYI, I have the same issue in the Acura. For some reason, when a track audio ends, there is still a large gap of silence causing me to press 'Advance' to get to the next song. I did not wait it out to see how long it waits, but it is happening in the car. I will try the disc on my Oppo 93 when I get home.

However, the disc sounds great. Kinda Floyd-like, at first listen.
    :-jon

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon!

Thank you very much for the scans...glad you received the digibook

I will investigate about the silence after the track (send me a pm once you test it on other player), but I'm glad you like the music and the mix..yes Pink Floyd are for sure an influence, but mixed with some more modern things from modern classic and post-rock.

If anyone is going to post reviews outside here please let us know and we'll collect them on our website, if about the surround mix they'll be interesting as well for Kscope.

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Got mine today.Heard it through once and liked the music and the 5.1 mix.But same problem on my Oppo 83 as others have talked about.When a song is over there is still time left on the display on the Oppo.DTS is OK.

Regards

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and thanks again for report, we'll sort out and understand where the problem is with the time ending so that with next release it will not happen..

And I hope you'll enjoy in the meantime this first DVD-A release from Nosound...first of a series

By the way if you missed it, our previous album A Sense Of Loss included a 5.1 mix as well.

Even if not DVD-A it contains a 1.5mbps DTS so anyway quite good for music..and more soon!

19. Thanks timbre4 thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    I just added the scans to the first post, as my discs arrived today!!!

FYI, I have the same issue in the Acura. For some reason, when a track audio ends, there is still a large gap of silence causing me to press 'Advance' to get to the next song. I did not wait it out to see how long it waits, but it is happening in the car. I will try the disc on my Oppo 93 when I get home.

However, the disc sounds great. Kinda Floyd-like, at first listen.
    No such problems here on my Pioneer DV-575A when playing the DVD-A disc, I'm happy to report
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob,

thank you very much, also for all your kind words on the first post: let us know if you'll publish a review on your blog!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nosound View Post
    Hi Rob,

thank you very much, also for all your kind words on the first post: let us know if you'll publish a review on your blog!
    Hopefully this weekend
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Robert van Diggele's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nosound View Post
    Hi Capsid, in two cases with Oppo83 players (also LizardKing) there was a similar problem, that is odd because taking the MLP files from the disc works without problems and the disk passed all tests and checks at manufacturer so it seems some kind of very specific issue.

Anyway considering you can manually skip to next track I hope is not a major issue

Thanks for the kind words about the music, we're very happy of the surround mix (the best way to listen to this album honestly)!
    Perhaps it is a good idea to send a disc to Oppo, so they can sort it out.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

No problems with a Denon DBP-21012UD.

Is there a firmware update available for the Oppo 83, could it be a possible Java api compatibility issue?
    177 SACD (159 Multi, 18 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 10 Blu-ray Audio, 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

Level
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanS View Post
    No problems with a Denon DBP-21012UD.

Is there a firmware update available for the Oppo 83, could it be a possible Java api compatibility issue?
    I'm on the latest 83 firmware (BDP83-59-0117)... and have the issue. Also have the same issue on my old Pioneer DV-655A.

FYI- If you extract the MLP & re-author its all good....

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star wavelength's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I don't want to impede the conversation around this title I just can't resist a comment. This is a Poll thread. Of the 21 posts here there are 4 that actually comment on the content of the album. In 6 months or so when somebody comes back to this thread to help them decide whether to purchase the disc they are going to have to sort through so many comments that there is a good chance that they won't actually be able to find the information they need. And it's not just this thread - this happens all the time with other titles.

My suggestion is that for every Poll thread there should be a non-Poll thread where we can post comments about said title that have nothing to do with content evaluation.

27. Likes 0tto, Robert van Diggele liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been a fan of nosound since Lightdark. This new one is certainly their best. I do love Giancarlos since of melancholy, which together with his fabulous photographs makes for a fully involving musical/visual experience. I don't have a surround step,yet, but the hires stereo is very good indeed. Though the audio button on my Denons remote doesn't switch from surround to stereo, on viewing the menu it was an easy task of down button, enter, enter. Done! My vote goes for the fidelity, which is excellent.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

thanks Wavelenght I'll be curious as well to see more votes..anyway everyone having issues send me a PM (so we don't make here a mess) or write to the other related topic..I'm interested to know what's the problem and sort it out for the next forthcoming release
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16587-New-Nosound-album-in-5-1-out-early-2013

Thanks Drabs for your kind words and everyone else...all this is going to help a lot for more dvd-a from us (and hopefully not only).

By the way..someone asked why there isn't a 5.1 of the instrumental disc..and I asked myself the same question, so I started going through the original surround mixes and start working on an instrumental version of them, because for me like with the cd is not just cutting just the voice but rebalancing everything else as well to make the best out of it..still working on this at the moment, masters 24bit 96kHz 5.1 of the instrumental disc will be finished probably within next week..then next step will be talking with Kscope and see how and when they'll be out..

G

photo 1.JPG

30. Thanks timbre4 thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post and tip on this disc. Listened to the sample on the BS site and found it quite enjoyable. Looking forward to receiving/listening to the sorround sound version!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast