HiRez Poll Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
No problems with a Denon DBP-21012UD.

Is there a firmware update available for the Oppo 83, could it be a possible Java api compatibility issue?

I'm on the latest 83 firmware (BDP83-59-0117)... and have the issue. Also have the same issue on my old Pioneer DV-655A.

FYI- If you extract the MLP & re-author its all good....

As much as I don't want to impede the conversation around this title I just can't resist a comment. This is a Poll thread. Of the 21 posts here there are 4 that actually comment on the content of the album. In 6 months or so when somebody comes back to this thread to help them decide whether to purchase the disc they are going to have to sort through so many comments that there is a good chance that they won't actually be able to find the information they need. And it's not just this thread - this happens all the time with other titles.

My suggestion is that for every Poll thread there should be a non-Poll thread where we can post comments about said title that have nothing to do with content evaluation.

I have been a fan of nosound since Lightdark. This new one is certainly their best. I do love Giancarlos since of melancholy, which together with his fabulous photographs makes for a fully involving musical/visual experience. I don't have a surround step,yet, but the hires stereo is very good indeed. Though the audio button on my Denons remote doesn't switch from surround to stereo, on viewing the menu it was an easy task of down button, enter, enter. Done! My vote goes for the fidelity, which is excellent.

Hi all,

thanks Wavelenght I'll be curious as well to see more votes..anyway everyone having issues send me a PM (so we don't make here a mess) or write to the other related topic..I'm interested to know what's the problem and sort it out for the next forthcoming release ;)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16587-New-Nosound-album-in-5-1-out-early-2013

Thanks Drabs for your kind words and everyone else...all this is going to help a lot for more dvd-a from us (and hopefully not only).

By the way..someone asked why there isn't a 5.1 of the instrumental disc..and I asked myself the same question, so I started going through the original surround mixes and start working on an instrumental version of them, because for me like with the cd is not just cutting just the voice but rebalancing everything else as well to make the best out of it..still working on this at the moment, masters 24bit 96kHz 5.1 of the instrumental disc will be finished probably within next week..then next step will be talking with Kscope and see how and when they'll be out..

G

photo 1.JPG

Thanks for the post and tip on this disc. Listened to the sample on the BS site and found it quite enjoyable. Looking forward to receiving/listening to the sorround sound version!

Have listened to this a few tiimes in Stereo in that ideal Listening enviroment the car, and its a very nice album. finally tonight have had a chance to listen to the DVDA and ant a good volume. Wow how much better , a cracking surround mix and very much one to be proud of.
Giancarlo I hope you start to get some 5.1 mixing Gigs to suppliment your Nosound work you do seem to understand surround better then so many.

If the instrumental 5.1 comes off then ill be in on that. Keep up the good work, and love the album.

Last edited:
Here is my review of this cd/dvd-a/dvd/-v set.

The music:

The music is a good continuation of the progress that is made with each album. Afterthoughts is a combination of A Sense of Loss and Warm Winter (Memories of Machines = Giancarlo Erra and Tim Bowness), and then on a higher level.

The songs are very good and the album flows nicely from start to finish. The At The Pier EP hinted already at good things to come. The EP has two songs, Anger Song and Two Monkeys, which also appear on the album, albeit in a different mix.

Playing is top notch. Some familiar guests are appearing, as there are Marianne De Chastelaine on cello and TheWooden Quarter. Plus Chris Maitland is doing fantastic drumming throughout.

The Mix:

Drums are mostly in the fronts, giving space to guitar, keys, strings and harmony vocals in the rear.

Some examples:

On I Miss The Ground, guitars during the verses in the rears. Solo guitar is in center speaker with bleeding into the front and rears.

On the Anger Song, keyboards start in the rears, with drumming and vocals in the fronts. In the 5.1 mix the guitars during the chorus really open up in the rear speakers. Great 

One of my favorite songs on the album, the title song Afterthoughts is a great ending of this album. The way the guitars increase with the harmony vocals is superb.

The Sound:

The sound is super. Both stereo and 5.1 mixes are in 96/24. Cannot get better! I haven’t tried the DTS or DD.

The bonus instrumental cd is a nice addition. Without the vocals, the songs are great instrumentals as well. After Rob (Failed Muso) mentioned that a 5.1 of the instrumentals would be great too, Giancarlo started working on that too! Shows what kind of guy we are dealing with, a friendly artist who shows interest in his audience.

He also gave a nice Thank You to QQ in the booklet. Speaking on behalf of a lot of QQ members, I say Thank You Giancarlo for being part of QQ and hopefully we get to hear more of your work in 5.1 (you mentioned already that you are working on some things. And maybe those Pineapple Thief albums will get an Erra mix as well).

A solid 10!

(p.s. Thanks to Kscope for continuing support of the dvd-a format!)

Thanks for your words Robert, really appreciated..and thanks to all QQ members for supporting music in this passionate way :)

Kap looking forward to know if you like the bass drum also for the other tracks...the 30-120hz region is one of my obsessions..kick and bass must be distinct and glued at the same time and that part of the spectrum can really make the difference..the most difficult and most rewarding part of a mix, even more when you can have a dedicated channel.

Thanks for your words Robert, really appreciated..and thanks to all QQ members for supporting music in this passionate way :)

Kap looking forward to know if you like the bass drum also for the other tracks...the 30-120hz region is one of my obsessions..kick and bass must be distinct and glued at the same time and that part of the spectrum can really make the difference..the most difficult and most rewarding part of a mix, even more when you can have a dedicated channel.

Love the layering and production.(and the artwork!)
yes, the 30-120Hz is REALLY tight and big without being boomy (you used a bit of compression didn't you? ;) )

I still have to give it a few more spins to vote ....
reminds me (some of it) of 4AD's "This Mortal Coil" series...dark, but not too overly dark....the only REALLY disturbing part was the "wailing" on the 8th song, "Paralysed"...I wasn't expecting it and was quite disturbed by it....

Kudos to you and congrats on having your DVD-A released on KScope!!!

VERY disappointed with the flawed authoring on the DVD Audio portion of this disc, it will not change tracks on my OPPO 83 or 80 players. Both players have never failed to play ANY disc in my rather large collection. I hope Neil Wilkes can shed some light on what went wrong here.

Hi Byrdman sorry to hear that. We're already in contact with Oppo and they say could be some odd bug considering the dvd passed all tests (I sent them all logs from manufacturer). And there's already a confirmed workaround so next times it will not happen even if they don't fix their player's firmware (it's a discontinued one now).

I hope that skipping to next track with your remote (or the DTS 1.5mbps mix) will allow you to enjoy anyway the music :)

Hello. Great music/mix. Greatly dismayed with the OPPO playback issue, which takes so much away from me sitting back and immersing myself into thep
performances. Oh, well. Thanks.

Thanks,

with all the hard work and effort we all put in this, you can image how disappointed we are to know that two players have a problem with auto skip to next track when playing MLP.

We still hope a firmware update from Oppo will solve this, and next time we'll take care of solving it anyway as we want it all perfect as much as you want :)

Hopefully the music will be able anyway to communicate and share the feelings and emotions we put in it!

Giancarlo, I certainly meant no offense to your great effort here on behalf of all of us. I'm sorry. I hope OPPO will respond to this issue. Cheers!

Like I said earlier, it does the same thing in my Acura. However, the problem is easily averted by just pressing a button on the steering wheel to jump to the next track.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what is happening. Is it possible that each track is in its own group? I don't think that's it, or the Acura would only play the first song over and over, as switching groups is a different key sequence on the dash.

Very strange.

VERY disappointed with the flawed authoring on the DVD Audio portion of this disc, it will not change tracks on my OPPO 83 or 80 players. Both players have never failed to play ANY disc in my rather large collection. I hope Neil Wilkes can shed some light on what went wrong here.
I don't have this disk myself, but am curious whether any player plays it correctly.

I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that plays dvd-audio. Would it play correctly on that?

I extracted the MLP & re-authored it using Chrome & the re-authoring plays fine on my Oppo 83SE

FYI - It has the same issue on my old Pioneer player too - DV-655A.

Back