HiRez Poll Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Nosound - AFTERTHOUGHTS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2013 5.1 CD/DVD-Audio release from KScope. Those fortunate enough to pre-order the title received a bonus CD with instrumental versions of all the tracks (see scan below) (y):phones(n)

Pre-release discussion about this title can be found in the original "Rumor Mill" thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16587

Nosound Afterthoughts Postcard.jpg
Nosound Afterthoughts Front 600.jpg
nosound afterthoughts disc.jpg
Nosound Afterthoughs Back 600.jpg
Nosound Afterthoughts Bonus CD 600.jpg

:banana:

Well, I've played this through a couple of times since it arrived this morning. I was lucky enough to be one of the first batch of pre-orders to get the CD/DVD-A and bonus instrumental CD.

I plan on doing a more in-depth review over on my blog in the next few days but I will detail my initial findings. From a compositional perspective, this is a thoughtful album. It's mellow, ethereal and melancholy. When things pick up, tempo wise, later in the album, it's quite noticeable because the rest of the album is far more subdued. The lyrics are meandering and complex, not necessarily conforming to typical lyrical structure but then this is 'prog' ;)

Production wise, it's a fine accomplishment which really springs to life in the 5.1 mix. Naturally, the MLP encoded mix is the finest; the clarity and detail shining through. Subtle use of the rears ensures a suitable sound-field and Giancarlo's vocals cut through nicely. This is definitely an album for cool, solitary evenings. Dim lights, a fine wine and this body of work will perfectly match your mood should you be feeling lonely, sad, thoughtful and forlorn.

The instrumental CD is a real bonus, in every sense of the word. The tracks are incredibly detailed and well put together and my only wish is that these were also available in 5.1, such is their quality.

Worth every penny and kudos to Giancarlo for responding to customer demand and releasing this in 5.1, especially in DVD-A, something I wish Steven Wilson had done with TRTRTS.

A fabulous achievement!

Bravo, Giancarlo. Bravo!

Well, I've played this through a couple of times since it arrived this morning. I was lucky enough to be one of the first batch of pre-orders to get the CD/DVD-A and bonus instrumental CD.

I plan on doing a more in-depth review over on my blog in the next few days but I will detail my initial findings. From a compositional perspective, this is a thoughtful album. It's mellow, ethereal and melancholy. When things pick up, tempo wise, later in the album, it's quite noticeable because the rest of the album is far more subdued. The lyrics are meandering and complex, not necessarily conforming to typical lyrical structure but then this is 'prog' ;)

Production wise, it's a fine accomplishment which really springs to life in the 5.1 mix. Naturally, the MLP encoded mix is the finest; the clarity and detail shining through. Subtle use of the rears ensures a suitable sound-field and Giancarlo's vocals cut through nicely. This is definitely an album for cool, solitary evenings. Dim lights, a fine wine and this body of work will perfectly match your mood should you be feeling lonely, sad, thoughtful and forlorn.

The instrumental CD is a real bonus, in every sense of the word. The tracks are incredibly detailed and well put together and my only wish is that these were also available in 5.1, such is their quality.

Worth every penny and kudos to Giancarlo for responding to customer demand and releasing this in 5.1, especially in DVD-A, something I wish Steven Wilson had done with TRTRTS.

A fabulous achievement!

Bravo, Giancarlo. Bravo!

Rob, thanks for this first review, I don't have my copy yet, its on its way.
I don't want to take away from Nosound review but one thing you mentioned about Steve Wilson not doing Dvda's any more, if this is a Kscope issue and as Giancarlo says that Kscope checks out information from here I sure hope that Sw's releases could be done in cd\dvda again. It's the best format and reaches the most people. I would rebuy any of his most recent releases in cd\dvda even though I have it in bluray already.
Giancarlo, thanks in advance again for getting this out on Dvda, look forward to getting my copy soon.

peter

I was lucky enough to be involved in the play-testing of this release so I am already quite familiar with the songs and have been eagerly awaiting the poll so I can share my thoughts and views. I've been a Nosound fan for a couple of years and have Giancarlo's other albums (including Sol 29 which also has a 5.1 mix, although not hi-definition.)

Afterthoughts clearly takes Nosound to another level both in terms of song composition and the audio/surround mix quality. The pieces are, on the whole, laid-back and awash with ambiance and atmosphere which is enhanced by Giancarlo's tasteful use of surround (and his endearing accent!) He's careful and attentive to the balance in the mix but also quite bold in places using the music to accentuate the meaning of the lyrics; for example the third song is called "The Anger Song" and without giving anything away, it's pretty obvious what represents the anger in the song! imho there isn't a bad track on the album, but Two Monkeys, The Anger Song, She, Paralysed and the title track stand out as exceptional. Afterthoughts in particular is incredibly beautiful and wouldn't be out of place on an epic movie soundtrack.

The use of the surround channels is discrete but not "in your face." The instrument and track 5.1 placement is used the most part to accentuate the feel of the songs; it's perfect for dimming the lights, drifting away and being saturated and washed over by the music.

Giancarlo must subscribe to the Steven Wilson school of dynamics as there's little or no overall compression and the dynamic range of the tracks is very wide as a result!

I must also praise the packaging and DVD authoring: The two discs come in a hard back/front digibook with an internal booklet containing lyrics, some very atmospheric photographs (not unlike Deadwing in feel) and also a credit to QQ! The DVD has every format anyone could want, the navigation is simple and clear and the photographs that accompany the tracks are very tasteful.

All in all this a very accomplished release and it's great to see artists like Giancarlo embracing the format and the format being backed by a KSope. As well as Nosound they have a *lot* of other great bands on their books and I really hope this experience (and, of course, the sales figures) encourages them to consider more releases in surround and I encourage everyone to do their bit and support this release. It gets full marks from me!

[Review based on 96k24bit MLP]

I've listened to the album a couple of time now in Hi-Res 5.1 and love it. Its the kind of new prog I love. Giancarlo and the band have done a wonderful job, and the ability to have Hi-Res surround, and uncompressed music is great, my system shows up all the detail, so it pays off. :banana:

I agree its been really nicely packaged, KScope are good at this, and its good they've gone for a Hi-Res 5.1 release (more please, from nosound and their label mates!). So tomorrow I'll listen to the CD and Instrumental bonus CD, then I suspect back to the 5.1 version.

Thanks everyone, we had this page linked to our bew website in the reviews, and Kscope said they are very happy to see these positive reactions, so keep the flow coming and thanks for your support :)

It was a pleasure to prepare this work since the start thinking about the surround in high resolution, and now the road is taken..we hope to be able to announce soon something more!

Just had a listen to the MLP lossless track and I seem to have a problem with the time counter on my Oppo 83. The counter is counting at about half speed, the result is that the track ends and then the Oppo thinks there is still more to play and I have to wait several minutes before the next track is reached. I can manually advance to the next track of course. This doesn't occur on the DTS track. Anyone else have this problem?

The music is great though and very immerse.

Just had a listen to the MLP lossless track and I seem to have a problem with the time counter on my Oppo 83. The counter is counting at about half speed, the result is that the track ends and then the Oppo thinks there is still more to play and I have to wait several minutes before the next track is reached. I can manually advance to the next track of course. This doesn't occur on the DTS track. Anyone else have this problem?

The music is great though and very immerse.

I'll try this on my 83 when I receive the disc.

Hi Capsid, in two cases with Oppo83 players (also LizardKing) there was a similar problem, that is odd because taking the MLP files from the disc works without problems and the disk passed all tests and checks at manufacturer so it seems some kind of very specific issue.

Anyway considering you can manually skip to next track I hope is not a major issue :)

Thanks for the kind words about the music, we're very happy of the surround mix (the best way to listen to this album honestly)!

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that I am very happy with this release and see the Oppo83 issue as a minor quibble. It's the hi res 5.1 sound that is important to me and I love the music.

I just added the scans to the first post, as my discs arrived today!!!

FYI, I have the same issue in the Acura. For some reason, when a track audio ends, there is still a large gap of silence causing me to press 'Advance' to get to the next song. I did not wait it out to see how long it waits, but it is happening in the car. I will try the disc on my Oppo 93 when I get home.

However, the disc sounds great. Kinda Floyd-like, at first listen.

Hi Jon!

Thank you very much for the scans...glad you received the digibook :)

I will investigate about the silence after the track (send me a pm once you test it on other player), but I'm glad you like the music and the mix..yes Pink Floyd are for sure an influence, but mixed with some more modern things from modern classic and post-rock.

If anyone is going to post reviews outside here please let us know and we'll collect them on our website, if about the surround mix they'll be interesting as well for Kscope.

Got mine today.Heard it through once and liked the music and the 5.1 mix.But same problem on my Oppo 83 as others have talked about.When a song is over there is still time left on the display on the Oppo.DTS is OK.

Regards

Hi and thanks again for report, we'll sort out and understand where the problem is with the time ending so that with next release it will not happen..

And I hope you'll enjoy in the meantime this first DVD-A release from Nosound...first of a series ;)

By the way if you missed it, our previous album A Sense Of Loss included a 5.1 mix as well.

Even if not DVD-A it contains a 1.5mbps DTS so anyway quite good for music..and more soon!

I just added the scans to the first post, as my discs arrived today!!!

FYI, I have the same issue in the Acura. For some reason, when a track audio ends, there is still a large gap of silence causing me to press 'Advance' to get to the next song. I did not wait it out to see how long it waits, but it is happening in the car. I will try the disc on my Oppo 93 when I get home.

However, the disc sounds great. Kinda Floyd-like, at first listen.

No such problems here on my Pioneer DV-575A when playing the DVD-A disc, I'm happy to report :)

Hi Capsid, in two cases with Oppo83 players (also LizardKing) there was a similar problem, that is odd because taking the MLP files from the disc works without problems and the disk passed all tests and checks at manufacturer so it seems some kind of very specific issue.

Anyway considering you can manually skip to next track I hope is not a major issue :)

Thanks for the kind words about the music, we're very happy of the surround mix (the best way to listen to this album honestly)!

Perhaps it is a good idea to send a disc to Oppo, so they can sort it out.

No problems with a Denon DBP-21012UD.

Is there a firmware update available for the Oppo 83, could it be a possible Java api compatibility issue?

Back