Billboard Magazine; August, 1975 Page 42 Q8 advertisment!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
BillBoard74.jpg

Anybody notice a few titles that we're still waiting for?? :rolleyes:

Let's see...Hag, a few Eagles, Marley, Supertramp (!), a few others. But BB could only go buy info they were sent or requested, such is life. Unfortunately, by that time I think some labels were already beginnning to give up on quad, winding down the release schedule. I'm bothered more about titles the labels wanted to do (PEPPER, Love's FOREVER CHANGES, Zep's II or IV) that they never did get going, and those that have since surfaced that were done but never officially released. Either way, a reminder of unrealized potential.

ED :)

Quad never overcame format wars and the oil crisis/recession of late '73 into '74.

We did get this on on wonderful CD-4 vinyl, but for some reason, it wouldn't demodulate:
mfsl-supertrampcrime.jpg

Rudy's on a train to nowhere, halfway down the line...

Interesting to see the "Tommy" soundtrack listed, as many (most?) people believe that the album is an unmarked QS-encoded album.

J. D.

Can someone send this to Richard at Music Valet!:banana:

I think the "Crime Of the Century" is that we can't buy these now. :howl If I remember rightly these would have been CD4 LPs - I built an SQ decoder in my 2nd year at Uni in the late 70's so never got these, :(

Supertramp, Eagle, Doobies, America,..... I've got Jeff Beck, Aerosmith on SACD, Captain & Me on DVD-A, Not Fragile on DTS, and the Floyd on SACD/Blu-Ray.

Crime of the Century was NOT a CD-4 release. My post was a bit sarcastic. It was a 1/2 speed mastered MoFi stereo LP on JVC Quadradisc virgin vinyl.

Both the MoFi vinyl and the later MoFi Gold CD are long OOP.

I have 39 of the released titles on one or more Quad and/or modern 5.1 formats.

Can someone send this to Richard at Music Valet!:banana:

I think the "Crime Of the Century" is that we can't buy these now. :howl If I remember rightly these would have been CD4 LPs - I built an SQ decoder in my 2nd year at Uni in the late 70's so never got these, :(

Supertramp, Eagle, Doobies, America,..... I've got Jeff Beck, Aerosmith on SACD, Captain & Me on DVD-A, Not Fragile on DTS, and the Floyd on SACD/Blu-Ray.

Crime of the Century was NOT a CD-4 release. My post was a bit sarcastic.

A little? :D What bothers me is that Tim Hardin's great "Reason to Believe" is so universal and does not just apply to relationships...but to everything. We always want to...and this was a band that still could sound great in 5.1, if anyone cared enough to do the deed. But, you know....and so it goes.

ED :)

I came across the issue of Billboard this ad comes from when looking for info on a particular quad release.

It's a special quad edition, so there are lots of articles and ads to look at.

1. I'm in the UK, so I was fascinated to see how popular quad FM was - at the time, we had hardly any stereo FM rock music - it was mainly reserved for drama, classical and MOR (Radios 4, 3 and 2).
2. Mention of quad cassettes being designed (and quad 45s).
3. Interview with the guy who mixed many A+M quad discs, and his methodology.
4. Lots of contradictions - the quad ads are very positive, but the feedback from salespeople says quad is not selling.
5. Most intriguingly, RCA promise that there will "definitely" be a quadradisc from David Bowie soon. Which, given this is Aug 75, must mean that there is "definitely" a quad mix of Station To Station (the next LP) out there, or perhaps they went back to remix Ziggy ;) [I know there are 'recent' 5.1 mixes, but the thought of a contemporary quad mix is a tease, isn't it?]
6. One of the ads also talks about recording using a new process called PCM, which of course in a few years gave the marketing people the next big thing to focus on, CDs.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WBEEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA39&vq=quad&pg=PA39#v=onepage&q=quad&f=true

Quad FM is one of those things that, when you read back issues, it was the darling of the Hi-Fidelity world. Yet, it went absolutely nowhere. Literally, thousands of receivers were built with that odd little "Multiplex Out", "Quadruplex Out", "FM DET OUT" jack on the back, but only recently did we even figure out what was meant to be plugged into that!! There is a thread here on QQ about that fancy little device which I got outbid on but luckily went to somebody within the community.

It's crazy to think that it took 40-some years for that magical little device to surface. I suppose it's one of those art reflects life situations where Quad FM was perfected in the early 70's but wasn't approved by the FCC until 1983 - long past Quads' demise. Sort of like it's creator, how he wanted to bring us the ultimate CD-4 demodulator and just as things were about to start rolling, Lou got sick and died. (or even how Cai built his fancy new house with 5.1 in every room, and was planning on having the first QQ get-together/barbecue/show off your quad stuff party and then he suddenly died.)

It's all this stuff that makes me look at my t-shirt that is just a plain white shirt with black letters that simple states: "Born to Lose".
(It's my motto)

Until very recently, it's just seemed that if you were into Quad or any kind of multichannel (or even if you went slightly against the grain of society) you automatically became the Devil's whipping boy. The scene from the movie "Little Nicky" had it so precisely. Hitler in a French dress having a pineapple shoved up his.... pooper.... daily. Being a fan of Quad, yep, that'll be my eternity.

Do you meant that quad FM never really worked? And here's me thinking that the States had coast to coast quad music 24/7 for the whole of the 70s. :) Well, I thought it might mean that some quad was broadcast in major cities, at least. I assumed that if they were broadcasting in SQ or QS that no special equipment was necessary - the stereo FM receives the signal and it can be input to a normal quad decoder. However, I know that even FM stereo is in reality quite complicated to achieve mono compatibilty, so maybe things weren't as simple as I thought. I'd imagined that they would just play existing quad LPs, but I noticed talk of QS encoders to make original content.

Well, I thought it might mean that some quad was broadcast in major cities, at least. I assumed that if they were broadcasting in SQ or QS that no special equipment was necessary - the stereo FM receives the signal and it can be input to a normal quad decoder.

This was definitely happening. It's discrete FM quad that never got off the ground. One Sacramento station even retained their KWOD call letters until recently.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/KWOD2006.jpg

Do you meant that quad FM never really worked? And here's me thinking that the States had coast to coast quad music 24/7 for the whole of the 70s. :) Well, I thought it might mean that some quad was broadcast in major cities, at least. I assumed that if they were broadcasting in SQ or QS that no special equipment was necessary - the stereo FM receives the signal and it can be input to a normal quad decoder. However, I know that even FM stereo is in reality quite complicated to achieve mono compatibilty, so maybe things weren't as simple as I thought. I'd imagined that they would just play existing quad LPs, but I noticed talk of QS encoders to make original content.

There were a few stations in the US that broadcast in Matrix Quad, KQIV in Oregon, and WQIV in New York. There were a spattering of stations here and there that also broadcast using either SQ or QS Matrix. But there never was a proper, discrete method of broadcast that was approved.

FM Stereo is quite compatible in Mono, that's why it was approved. I'm fairly certain Lou Dorren was involved with FM Stereo as his Quadraplex system follows the same levels of compatibility. So that yes, even FM Quadraplex was backwards compatible with Stereo or Mono! It all depended upon which subcarrier your receiver was set to pick up.

So "Q" is Quadraphonic, and "IV" is Four for four channel?

-Kristian

So "Q" is Quadraphonic, and "IV" is Four for four channel?

-Kristian

Possibly? The only people who could tell you if that was intentional or not were the people who worked at those stations. Generally speaking, station callsign letters are assigned at random. The only letter of any significance is the first letter, it used to be "K" for stations west of the Mississippi and "W" for stations east of the big river.
I don't know if they still follow that idiom today.

Back