Burning FLAC 5.1 files to DVD-A on a Mac

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Failed Muso

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi!

I did have a search through for previous posts on this, but couldn't find anything, so I apologise in advance if I'm repeating a question that's already been answered.

I have a handful of (legitimate) FLAC 5.1 albums, such as the 'Tubular Bells' FLAC 5.1 release sold via the Bowers and Wilkins 'Society of Sound' club. I want to create DVD-A's from these files so I can enjoy them without firing up the computer and also listen to them on my system downstairs that isn't connected directly to my computer. Now, initial searches pointed me in the direction of Cirlinca and their suite of tools. I downloaded a trial onto my Windows 7 laptop and was able to figure out how to create a DVD-A with it, even managing to come up with some rudimentary menus!

Anyway, the demo timed out before I could convert any other albums and so I considered buying it but I only have a few albums and don't intend on expanding the collection enough to warrant paying for the full version of the software. But, it certainly does seem to be the best option, and there doesn't seem to be anything else that comes close. Also, my main computer is a Mac, and I can't seem to find anything similar to what Cirlinca do for OS X. I know that Cirlinca say that their stuff will run on a Mac under VMWare, but my Mac is a few years old, and running VM's on it probably isn't the best use of its resource!

The bottom line is, are there any dedicated Mac apps that can do what Cirlinca's tools do, free or payware? Also, are there any cheaper alternatives to Cirlinca on the PC?

I suppose that if I had to, I'd just fork out for Cirlinca's app and be done with it, but it seems like a large chunk of cash to convert what might only be 3 or 4 albums.

Any sensible advice or suggestions are very welcome :)

Do you have a blu-ray player - if you do the other option is the create a blu-ray disc with Linear PCM using Audiomuxer (free) on Windows. Great tool!

I created a blu-ray "disc" of Weather Systems using Audiomuxer. which - BTW - I playback via USB drive on my Oppo...

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...7-Audiomuxer-new-software-on-surroundbyus-com

I don't currently have a Blu Ray player (saving up for a decent one) so DVD-A is my best option at the moment. I've heard of Audiomuxer so will take a look for the future.

It's really frustrating that Mac's only burn FLAC and WAV files as stereo files. DVD-Audiofile and Burn just won't do anything other than 2 channel mixes. I have legitimate DVD-audios that I would like to rip so I can have something to play in my car like not have to risk scratching an unreplaceable copy of Rumours just so I can hear it.

I'm fortunate enough to have both a Mac and a PC but even though Cirlinca is, in the grand scheme of things, very reasonably priced, I still struggle to justify it's cost against the very few 5.1 FLAC's I own that I'd like to convert. Maybe I just need a friend who owns it to do it for me ;)

Hey Rob.

If you can email me a receipt for your download, I will do you a DVD-A of this one as I also bought the same bundle.....
Sorry for the lack of outright trust, but I do not want to get hammered by the labels.........
(Also sorry to the labels, but you guys really should have done this one properly in the first place)

Hey Rob.

If you can email me a receipt for your download, I will do you a DVD-A of this one as I also bought the same bundle.....
Sorry for the lack of outright trust, but I do not want to get hammered by the labels.........
(Also sorry to the labels, but you guys really should have done this one properly in the first place)

Hi Neil!

That's incredibly generous of you :) I'll PM you with details if that's ok?

Thank you again :)

Well, I've just taken a look at Cirlinca's site again and noticed that they do a 2 month subscription to their top line application, HD-Audio Solo Ultra for a mere $16.95, which works out at about £11 in real money, so I may well just give that a go and see how I fare. And given the current conversion rate, the full blown app works out at £45 so that isn't so bad after all.

Well, the only Mac program I have that can burn a DVD-A (48K though) is Logic 8 (the previous version-I have not updated to the last Logic version)
AND
you can only use aiff (maybe wav files, but I've never tried it), not FLACs

Well, the only Mac program I have that can burn a DVD-A (48K though) is Logic 8 (the previous version-I have not updated to the last Logic version)
AND
you can only use aiff (maybe wav files, but I've never tried it), not FLACs

Yes, the options for Mac are pretty awful. Thankfully, I also have a fairly decent PC so I will use that for now. To be honest, it doesn't get used for much now that I have the Mac ;)

I was considering buying Logic 9 recently (I'm a closet muso in my spare time) but I'm a Reason user and now that they've introduced MIDI out and plug ins, I simply have no justification for Logic now :)

Yes, the options for Mac are pretty awful. Thankfully, I also have a fairly decent PC so I will use that for now. To be honest, it doesn't get used for much now that I have the Mac ;)

I was considering buying Logic 9 recently (I'm a closet muso in my spare time) but I'm a Reason user and now that they've introduced MIDI out and plug ins, I simply have no justification for Logic now :)

What program are you using to burn 4.0 and 5.1 Surround FLAC files to DVD-A on a PC? I've been wondering how to do the same.

Message to the OP'r..

If you don't want a computer anywhere near your music,

Why don't you just put the flac 5.1 files onto a NAS drive and stream them straight to an Oppo? Using a DNLA server..something like this : minimserver. This will handle 5.1 FLAC files :)

This way you wan't even need "discs". And you don't have to "burn" anything...

Cheers

^ then once you've done this, backup all your precious DVD-A's that you have paid a fortune for...using DVDaudioextractor (there is an OSX version).. into 5.1 flac, mount the NAS drive (I use a QNAP) in OSX..this is really easy to do.... and move all the 5.1 FLAC files right on your mac desktop... into the one file "library" on the NAS. You then point minimserver to that library and presto.. all your 5.1 flacs just stream straight to the Oppo. In beautiful surround sound. Not a computer in ear shot. And no "Windows" in sight either :)

Message to the OP'r..

If you don't want a computer anywhere near your music,

Why don't you just put the flac 5.1 files onto a NAS drive and stream them straight to an Oppo? Using a DNLA server..something like this : minimserver. This will handle 5.1 FLAC files :)

This way you wan't even need "discs". And you don't have to "burn" anything...

Cheers

^ then once you've done this, backup all your precious DVD-A's that you have paid a fortune for...using DVDaudioextractor (there is an OSX version).. into 5.1 flac, mount the NAS drive (I use a QNAP) in OSX..this is really easy to do.... and move all the 5.1 FLAC files right on your mac desktop... into the one file "library" on the NAS. You then point minimserver to that library and presto.. all your 5.1 flacs just stream straight to the Oppo. In beautiful surround sound. Not a computer in ear shot. And no "Windows" in sight either :)

Thank you for your response...

Firstly, I'm not quite sure where you get the idea from that I "don't want a computer anywhere near" my music. I prefer to have my hi-res multichannel audio on disc for immediacy and also because I don't have equipment to stream multichannel audio files to all my multichannel setups I have in my house (I have 3).

If you read the entire thread, I think it's pretty clear that I'm looking for a simple and cost effective way of taking these 5.1 files and authoring a disc for convenient playback around my house without the need for investing large sums of cash in new software or hardware. If this isn't possible, then fine, but it certainly is by using the Cirlinca application which can be bought on a short term licence for a fraction of the cost of the full app. If I were to find that I had an increasing number of multichannel FLAC files (I currently only have a handful), then I would certainly consider investing in the full version of the app. I might even consider buying into a system as you describe with new hardware such as the Oppo player (I already run a NAS based DNLA server in my home).

Thanks again :)

^ No probs Rob.

It was the comment about how to enjoy the files without "firing up a computer" that sparked my post.

Shoot me a PM if you ever want to go down this path. Because it can be done cheaper than you think. :) Cheers

Cirlinca just runs in OSX if you have Wine installed. No virtual machine needed. The issue is their demo version just says "clock manipulation detected" no matter what. So you'll just have to trust that their app works for you before you purchase it. A little too paranoid with the demo restrictions for their own good it seems.

Back