HiRez Poll Stickmen - DEEP [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Stickmen - DEEP

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
and includes a great surround mix by B.J. Cole & Mr. Neil Wilkes... what a combination!!!!

I'm really anxious to hear this; I've been holding off since my finances aren't great and was hoping it would come down, but it was rationale enough for me to use it to get above $35 for free shipping on Amazon with some cheap BF deals on BR's I bought. Then, right after I bought it, the price dropped $4! Luckily, Amazon CS is so good that a call to them got me that $4 refunded.

But of all the things I bought during BF deals week (so many great deals on BR movies), the 2 things I want most are the last to ship: this and Queen's greatest video hits (which I've also had on my wishlist for a while and used the same rationale to get now).

I didn't know our esteemed Mr. Wilkes did mixes; thought he only authored the discs.

Neil Wilkes also mixed the Vicar Songbook #1, great stuff as well.

+2, I much prefer the Vicar, is getting much more play for me vs Stickman. Stickman their playing is really good and the surround is excellent but I find it kind of repetitive and boring after a while.
I'm still glad to have heard it but its on the seldom listen to pile now.

Not sure how I missed this one but just ordered on Amazon. They still have a few left at $20.

Finally went for this disc almost two years after its initial release.

No doubt this is an extremely active surround mix that suits the music well (even though the music is not always best at times).
I must admit I'm not really that much of a fan of purely instrumental albums, being a vocalist myself, but after a few listens to this album in stereo, I was ready to give the 5.1 surround DVD-A a shot.
Many of you will recognize that Neil Wilkes did the surround mix for this title, and I must say, he did quite a good job with it. (GO NEIL! :) )

The one track on the album that I really enjoy listening to is track 5 entitled "Crack in the Sky". This track features a spoken word part performed by Pat Mastelotto, and the track is a lot more on the chill side than a lot of other stuff on the album. Only gripe I have about the 5.1 mix of this track is I would love it more if the vocals were panned to the center channel rather than hanging out in the surround channels.
(BTW those of you who speak Spanish or Italian will enjoy these foreign language versions of the track included as bonus material).
"Sepia" is another interesting track that relies heavy on ambiences to convey the mood of the track, something that also works quite well in surround.

Not a disc that I'm sure will get a lot of plays on my system, but it's still deserving of a '9' for an inventive surround mix in high-res.

<..>Many of you will recognize that Neil Wilkes did the surround mix for this title, and I must say, he did quite a good job with it. (GO NEIL! :) )

<..>The one track on the album that I really enjoy listening to is track 5 entitled "Crack in the Sky". This track features a spoken word part performed by Pat Mastelotto...

I missed that fact, nice job Neil!!

and

I've never seen them do this, but I could swear that is Tony Levin doing that vocal? Nice review rtbluray!

I missed that fact, nice job Neil!!

and

I've never seen them do this, but I could swear that is Tony Levin doing that vocal? Nice review rtbluray!

Thanks, and you are right. Double checking the credits it does say 'voice' next to Tony Levin. I thought I had seen somewhere that it was Pat, but I was wrong!

Thanks, and you are right. Double checking the credits it does say 'voice' next to Tony Levin. I thought I had seen somewhere that it was Pat, but I was wrong!

Yeah - It was Tony doing the vocal in the concert that I went to earlier this year....

And also the mix was done by Neil & BJ Cole... BJ Cole did a great mix on his Trouble in Paradise album.....

Back