Quad LP/Tape Poll Montenegro, Hugo: Love Theme From The Godfather [CD4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rate "The Godfather"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA APD1-0001, from 1972. RCA's first quad Lp.

Side 1:

Medley: Baby Elephant Walk; Moon River
Norwegian Wood
Me and My Arrow
Air on a G String
Quadimodo

Side 2:

I Feel the Earth Move
The Godfather Waltz
Love Theme From "The Godfather"
Pavanne
Stutterology

ED :)

I bought three used copies of the CD-4 in the past two years. Copied the best quality for the car. Not always my cup of tea but for what it is, it's the best.

RCA's first CD-4 Quadradisc release: APD1-0001. A single inventory Quad release.
When it comes to Surround Sound and aggressive use of the "pan pot", this album is a classic !

My copy was sold to me as sealed but, after I got it, it was obvious that it was resealed. Giveaways are the appearance of the grooves not looking brand new and fine scratches left from a carbon fiber brush (actually THE biggest giveaway). I did get my money back. It does have the original RCA quadradisc label and "Dynaflex" on the label too.

So, it doesn't play all that well as the carriers have been worn and there is surface noise.

I give it a 10, however, just for the sheer quadiness of it. It's one of THE best CD-4 demos.

Doug

His best quad, IMO, in every way.

ED :)

Agreed! It was his first CD-4 Quadradisc and Hugo spent a lot of time on movement between channels, Quad effects, the 4 Channel sound field, etc.
And it shows. Just outstanding - a must have for Surround Sound fans.

I can't believe I haven't voted on this yet. A huge 10. This quad was the first quad I ever listened to back in the 70's. I love it. It is definitely in my top 10 of all time. SUPER.

I showed my lady this QR and she was so impressed and enjoyed the music so much she immediately went out to by the cd. Naturally I recommended the hybrid SACD w/ bonus album instead. Pretty good deal for under $20 including shipping from UK http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hugo-Montenegro-Godfather-A-Fistful-of-Dollar-For-a-Few-Dollars-More-etc-/122245101315

A few years ago I found this and a handful of other CD-4 titles at a record shop in Albany NY where they were blowing them out at $1 apiece. The mix here is really aggressive and fun, even if the music is a little 70s lounge-like for my normal listening tastes. Heck, even though my LP is pretty minty I'm tempted to grab one of those new reissues anyway.
IMG_6249.jpg

Like many of the other reviewers here, I had to give this a 10. The beauty of getting into these old quad recordings is finding music that you would not normally go out of your way to listen to. If I was in a record store and found this while only having a stereo player, I would have passed on it. However, due to the high reviews here, my friend (who owns the Q4) and I had to give it a spin.

While the mix needs no introduction, credit has to be given to Hugo's arrangements and song selection. The selection is very eclectic, with several different styles being covered. Hugo shows off his gift for breathing new life into well-covered material (see the Godfather theme and Norwegian Wood for examples) and doing so in style. Although I prefer other albums of his musically (Hugo In Wonderland and Rocket Man come to mind), this is his crowning surround achievement. I am blown away every time I hear it. One of the most creative surround mixes in any format and a must for anyone interested in the possibilities of surround sound. They don't call him the Quadfather for nuthin' :phones

Back