HiRez Poll Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time

• Total voters
I voted "9" on this one only because of the material (music) itself - not the strongest Hawkwind album in the catalog. That said - Steven Wilson really brought it to life with the surround mix! It's amazing how a good surround mix can revitalize a record that's just so-so otherwise. I'd sure love to hear a surround mix on "Quark, Strangeness and Charm".......
---------- Chris

Not my favorite Hawkwind album (I prefer Space Ritual, Doremi, Hall..., In Search...), but this one is growing on me. The biggest things that jumped out for me are the sonics and the mix: a 10. Glad there was such care to resurrect a forgotten album. The swords and sorcery in space lyrics occasionally are a bit too much, and I will not even begin to broach the subject of the spoken word passages which should have hit the cutting room floor. Still I would recommend this album.

Mix/Sonics: 10
Music: 7

Late to the party but this finally arrived in my local store, great 5.1 mix though not their strongest material from my limited Hawkwind knowledge. A thanks to Neil for his work on the project. A (9) and a keeper for me.

After listening to this 5.1 mix multiple times since it's released, it hasn't grown on me musically like many of my other favorite 70s prog albums.
That being said, like many have already said on here before me, the mix is STELLAR, and it's another job well done from Mr Wilson. "Assault & Battery", "Magnu", and "Dying Seas" are the surround highlights, but I also really love "The Demented Man" as a beautiful ballad.
Shame "Spiral Galaxy" is an upmix cause it would probably be another surround highlight, whereas the "Kings of Speed" upmix ends an otherwise great listening experience on a sour note.
A worthwhile 3-disc set and I would consider buying more Hawkwind releases like it in the future. :)

For me this album is like a flashback to the 70s. It feels like the perfect music to smoke a joint to; which is something that I did in abundance back then. And since I quit "the weed" many years ago this album has a very nostalgic and cozy feel to it. So maybe if you didn't live through the 70s then this album may not have as much appeal.

This one of those albums I would have probably never heard, if it wasn't for the good surround mix (by Steven Wilson).
In order of importance Great surround, not so great recording, not the greatest content (YMMV). Still an 8 from me.

I was afraid that I had become a Steven Wilson junkie - liking everything he was involved in. I am glad that this record proved to me that I still need to like the music to appreciate the good mixes.

I really don't like the music on this disc - the only track I would like to play again is the first track. The sonics is nothing to write home about either, so not even SW's 5.1-mix can save this for me.

I voted 4.

Is there anybody out there that has this that would be willing to make a trade for a copy? Please PM me.

I've read SF and fantasy since I was Hobbit-sized, enjoy adventurous "out there" music by cult bands, and am possibly hardwired to dabble in all things psychedelic. For me, Hawkwind was love-at-first-listen from their first album onwards. I agree with the other posters who say "Warrior on the Edge of Time" is middle weight Hawkwind -- better than most of what followed it, but not as intensely engaging as "Doremi Faso Latido," "Hall of the Mountain Grill," "In Search of Space," and the post-Warrior album "Quark, Strangeness, and Charm" (what an indescribable delight it would be to hear all those in hi-res surround.)

Perhaps the album's biggest plus, at least for Hawkwind fans, is that this is the first time since the vinyl that real master tapes have been available. It's a huge sonic improvement over the old CD releases, and Hawkwind's quirky hard psychedelic sound is a perfect fit for Steven Wilson's superlative surround mix. I also like the nifty box that houses the discs, but have yet to listen to all the content. I've replayed the surround many times, though, and the music is close to "8" with a solid "10" for the mix. I give it a "9."

Please, more Hawkwind, Mr. Wilson :)

Is there anybody out there that has this that would be willing to make a trade for a copy? Please PM me.

Unless you have some REALLY amazing things for trade, I suggest just buying a new copy. Both the US and UK amazons still have it in stock.

Unless you have some REALLY amazing things for trade, I suggest just buying a new copy. Both the US and UK amazons still have it in stock.

I don't want to have to buy the Super Deluxe package just to get the DVD. It should be available separately. It's annoying that the labels do that.

I actually enjoyed listening to this for the first time ever. The surround mix is excellent as has become customary for SW mixes. I'm lukewarm on some of the music, the vocals kind of remind me of what my brother and his friends would do in the garage. All in all I'm glad it was released and have it in my collection.

Got this one upon initial release. Such a trippy disc. Great stuff and I love the way the mix sounds. It doesn't mess up the trippy feel that Hawkwind had...yet has some super cool moments in surround. Awesome packaging too. Lemmy!

I gave it a 9. (9.5)

Great psychedelic music with an equally trippy surround mix. The sound quality is really good. The packaging and bonus materials are fantastic for the price. The music and poetry of this album really flow together as a complete listening experience. 8.

A hard one to rate, but I went with a 9, I really like the surround mix - 9, the music is an 8.

Back