Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite in 5.1, 25th anniversary edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, I played both the DVD~V~R and the BD~A~R today and both are DTS 96/24/ DD 5.1 and AC3 2.0 [NO Lossless stereo].

The program begins with a speaker check which is repeated 4x's then one must choose the program

The sound is uniformly EXCELLENT. I played the DVD on my Meridian 800 and the BD~A on the OPPO 105. The Meridian had more heft...deeper bass, etc. and better dispersion of the surrounds but the OPPO acquitted itself nicely with the BD~A~R. Both discs were mastered by Bernie Grundman.

I did get the glossy booklet with the BD/DVD package [which comes in a slim BD case] and it's nice but if you want to save some gelt, just get the DVD/BD~A package.

Highly Recommended if you like Tomita [which I DO]!

Last edited:
BTW, Finally played the entire Interstellar Suite tonight and all I can say: It's by far one of the best surround discs in my collection. UnF'ingbelievable. BUY IT!

It's simply astounding!

Absolutely GORGEOUS.

Buy this. Buy this now. If you like the music at ALL, buy this. If you like the history of synthesized music, buy this. And be prepared for some BASS.

Seriously, I've listened to 'synthesized' music for decades and NO Tomita nor Cage nor Morton Subotnick music prepared me for the level of expertise and melodious invention which was displayed on Interstellar Suite.

If you're expecting blips, beeps and all sorts of 'uncomfortable' artifacts which sometimes accompany synthesized recordings, look elsewhere.

This is an accomplished work of art accompanied by some hefty surprises which may make you jump out of your comfort zone.

For maximum effect, play it at a robust level.

The noise floor is non~existent.....I detected absolutely zero background noise. Everything emanated from a background of silence.

Wow! I've discovered another genre I like... Space Music? Spectacular surround mix... "The Launch" just kicks a**! Lovin' this trip:smokin

"Hositility" is friggin' incredible too!!

In addition to "The Interstellar Suite", which is generally mind-blowing, you also get "Bolero Electronica" which is a really cool history of electronic instruments playing "Bolero", starting with the earliest (in mono), and gradually becoming more complicated (in stereo, then quad) until progressing to the most recent (in 5.1)... this is really cool!

How does the 5.1 flac download compare to the bluray as it is expensive to get this sent to the uk especially if it gets hit for import duty.

My Blu-ray/DVD & Booklet turned up today the booklet is really interesting. It must have cost way more than the P&P charged as it was sent airmail to the UK.

The Blu-ray is a BD-RW, and extremely well done. I have had the FLAC for a while, and I can't tell any difference. BTW I didn't get charged any Import Duty/VAT or the extortionate tax handling charge.

How does the 5.1 flac download compare to the bluray as it is expensive to get this sent to the uk especially if it gets hit for import duty.

Back