Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite in 5.1, 25th anniversary edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Just Wow. Because of this forum Bhatia Music has seen a huge spike in sales. Thank you all so much for your kind words and I’m so glad you’re enjoying the music.

As you may know (from the documentary video on the disc) this was a labour of love many years ago and at the time because of label problems there was very little success in the initial release. But over the years synth fans then drum corp groups and now surround sound experts are all getting the word out. For me it’s quite a joy to see that the musical and sonic messages were well received.

The reason for the "mayday" campaign is that right now this release is being re-negotiated with Universal and things are going very slow. Its not promo hype about the end date. We just don't know what and when the new distribution terms will be. So in the meantime keep spreading the word and enjoy shaking your home with the music and the sound effects, lol. (At this rate maybe we’ll do my other album Virtuality in surround too.)

Thank you all again.

Amin Bhatia
http://aminbhatia.com/is25mayday/
Thank you Amin for dropping by. Your Virtually album in surround would be great too. you know where to announce first :)

Really glad you've joined us over here in QQ, it would be great to hear "Virtuality" in 5.1, and thanks to Robert for pointing us all in the direction of The Interstellar Suite back in 2013. Do keep us all posted with the music you're making and the surround mixes.

Wow. Just Wow. Because of this forum Bhatia Music has seen a huge spike in sales. Thank you all so much for your kind words and I’m so glad you’re enjoying the music.

As you may know (from the documentary video on the disc) this was a labour of love many years ago and at the time because of label problems there was very little success in the initial release. But over the years synth fans then drum corp groups and now surround sound experts are all getting the word out. For me it’s quite a joy to see that the musical and sonic messages were well received.

The reason for the "mayday" campaign is that right now this release is being re-negotiated with Universal and things are going very slow. Its not promo hype about the end date. We just don't know what and when the new distribution terms will be. So in the meantime keep spreading the word and enjoy shaking your home with the music and the sound effects, lol. (At this rate maybe we’ll do my other album Virtuality in surround too.)

Thank you all again.

Amin Bhatia

I got that same email on Oct 5th, and I received my order last Thursday...and it's very good! I hope you get your order soon.

Mine's arrived, brilliant! My Oppo is reporting a 30MBps stream! The Moog sound remind me of Tomita, which I have always liked, so this is great listening for me.

In the documentary, Pete Bardens is mentioned. I'm assuming this is the same Pete Bardens who was the keyboard player with Camel.

Thank you all again.

Amin Bhatia

That would be fantastic! :upthumb

At any rate, thank you so much for an excellent surround experience through your wonderful music!

:51banana:

Changing subject a little but Dhani Harrison's (son of George) new release, his first, is really big on electronic and synth music, should be a surround release, but not.

Mine's arrived, brilliant! My Oppo is reporting a 30MBps stream! The Moog sound remind me of Tomita, which I have always liked, so this is great listening for me.

In the documentary, Pete Bardens is mentioned. I'm assuming this is the same Pete Bardens who was the keyboard player with Camel.

It is. The late Pete Bardens, who was a talented and kind man.

Amin

I listened to this last night. Wow, it really does sound good! A ton of dynamic range. I nearly jumped out of my chair a few times!

One thing that disappointed me though was that the Bluray contained lossy DTS. I guess I mistakenly assumed the bluray would include some sort of lossless format like 5.1 PCM or DTS-MA. But no, it is only DTS or DD just like the DVD. It sure does sound good, so the DTS is encoded well, but I can't help but wonder what it would sound like lossless. Those who have downloaded the 5.1 flac would know I guess. Has anyone done a comparison?

Amin, I would love to hear any other music you have mixed into 5.1!! Please include a lossless format on your next bluray though. PCM is fine, if the DTS-MA licensing is too expensive. The bluray should have sufficient capacity for 5.1 PCM.

Yep it's DTS not DTS-MA. However as you and others have reported it's very well done, ...the encoding was courtesy of Warren Brown, engineer to Michael Giacchino :)
While DTS-MA was my first choice but too expensive for licensing reasons I still feel that DTS lossy is better than Dolby AC3 lossy. Don't you agree?
Also I never thought about PCM direct. How does one author for that? Do you know of a Mac audio program that converts 5.1 wave files to a PCM format that could play direct to a player? I'm intrigued.

Amin

Who knew a $5 Canadian stamp has a moose?
They put $10.30 postage on the package and only charged $6.50.

Thanks to DuncanS and everybody's infectious enthusiasm for this superlative 5.1 remix.
These classic analog synth orchestrations are ideal for a surround system reference and demo disc.
I couldn't be more impressed and pleased.

37215336264_06442bbc91_c.jpg

Yep it's DTS not DTS-MA. However as you and others have reported it's very well done, ...the encoding was courtesy of Warren Brown, engineer to Michael Giacchino :)
While DTS-MA was my first choice but too expensive for licensing reasons I still feel that DTS lossy is better than Dolby AC3 lossy. Don't you agree?
Also I never thought about PCM direct. How does one author for that? Do you know of a Mac audio program that converts 5.1 wave files to a PCM format that could play direct to a player? I'm intrigued.

Amin

Amin,

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed well recorded and engineered. Very well done. DTS lossy does usually sounds quite good (provided it is a 1.5 Mbps stream), and DTS lossy is indeed WAY better than Dolby Digital (AC3). Dolby Digital should've been outlawed :)

I am honestly not familiar with any Bluray authoring programs, but it must be quite easy. Many blurays have a 5.1 PCM option. Just browsing the stack of disks next to me, I see these have a 5.1 PCM option:

Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
Steve Hackett - The Night Siren
Birdsong at Morning

Many of them also include DTS-HD, which seems a bit redundant to me, but if you have room on the bluray, then why not. They should sound identical. The PCM track will consume a lot more space on the bluray, but that's generally not a problem for about 60 minutes of music.

5.1 WAV is already in PCM format isn't it? The authoring program shouldn't need to do any significant conversion.

I'm looking forward to any future 5.1 mixes!

The deluxe edition with the book is really tickling me, as an old school analog synth head.
The details and anecdotes about recording and mastering are a fascinating read.

Excerpt:

37919520272_211b41605c_b.jpg

Last edited:
This is really good. I love space sounds, feel like I’m at Disneyland. This would be called discrete if anyone is trying to figure out audiophile terminology. The mix is cool, lots of diagonals like sounds starting front left and ending rear right as an example. The video stills are fun to look at while listening. I tried both the DD and I preferred the 24/96 DTS. However when it went automatically into surround tones, 4 times which was irritating I noticed the DD had more separation then the DTS, The DTS just felt stronger to me. I listened at 70db. The menu graphic on my Samsung 4K was a little weak as I had to stare hard to make sure I was hitting the right selection. I loved the chapter intros with the talking. Many parts made me jump a little as they where so realistic. I can see why so many people have enjoyed this journey over the years. Glad I have it.

Looks like I need to get this one. Just caught up on this thread. The current poll has a '10' from 5 out of 5 votes. Could be the new Number One at current rate!

Is there much in the way of video or images on this? I'm thinking of nabbing the 96/24 FLAC download tracks. Am I going to miss anything from the Blu-ray?

Looks like I need to get this one. Just caught up on this thread. The current poll has a '10' from 5 out of 5 votes. Could be the new Number One at current rate!

Is there much in the way of video or images on this? I'm thinking of nabbing the 96/24 FLAC download tracks. Am I going to miss anything from the Blu-ray?
I assume your FLAC choice would be 5.1. During the main music sections the on screen are just stills, so no video. There is a making of video, and audio/visual piece on history of Moog/Synthesizers. For pur listening experience the FLAC would be good enough. The extras are watch them once and then probably never again but they are very interesting.

Back