Amin Bhatia's Interstellar Suite in 5.1, 25th anniversary edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Work on this has been going on for a while now, looking at the video's posted by Amin Bhatia. Last year there was a fund raiser on indiegogo,
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...digital-5-1-surround-sound-collectors-edition

After twenty-five years of cards, letters and emails, we hear you. You’re the reason this sci-fi synth orchestral adventure has remained alive, and yes… it’s high time this cult classic got remixed in surround sound. It’s the very least we could do for our amazing fans (not to mention all you quirky audiophiles out there). But we can’t do it alone…

Amin Bhatia has already begun working with award winning producer/engineer Frank Morrone (think Lost and The Kennedys) to transform his original analog baby into a 25th Anniversary 5.1 Surround Edition. It’s not straightforward and it’s not easy but it’s already blowing the ears and minds of everyone involved on the project. Being the proven overachiever he is however, Amin wants to take the project one step further by creating a very special commemorative package for you, our amazing fans.

The fundraiser campaign mentioned a DD version. But on http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php...rticle&id=134:is25&catid=34:albums&Itemid=117 a BD with DTS HD MA is mentioned! So soundwise it should be good.

March 4, 2013

When you finally open your Blu Ray DTS HD MAS version of IS25....

As far as I can see it is all synthesizers, so maybe not everyone's taste. There is no release date set yet, but according to the website it will be released in 2013.

Amin Bhatia, does the keyboard intro on Toto's title track album " Fahrenheit ". It sounds amazing everytime I hear it, even after 26 years, it gives me the same chills ! ( I remember by brother saying, " Who's that " ? when he heard the intro....he hates Toto though ! ) Would be wonderful in Surround sound.

Work on this has been going on for a while now, looking at the video's posted by Amin Bhatia. Last year there was a fund raiser on indiegogo,
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...digital-5-1-surround-sound-collectors-edition

The fundraiser campaign mentioned a DD version. But on http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php...rticle&id=134:is25&catid=34:albums&Itemid=117 a BD with DTS HD MA is mentioned! So soundwise it should be good.

As far as I can see it is all synthesizers, so maybe not everyone's taste. There is no release date set yet, but according to the website it will be released in 2013.

Thanks for this posting, looks interesting a la Tomita. I just went to the website listed, then on to the 25th Anniversary 5.1 Surround Edition link, it seems it raised $4340 of the $10000 target. Maybe that has delayed it?

This could be a really interesting mix as the artist is driving it. Its on my to buy list now!

Hello,

It's good news indeed to see that Amin is still endeavoring to get this masterpiece released in surround. I have had a vinyl copy of this since it's original release in 1987 and several years ago I was working with him and Neil Wilkes to try and make something happen with this title. I recently revisited with him about this and he had the following to say:

"At the time of our first correspondence years ago we had talked about the stereo master and your software and methods to derive surround from that. But we stopped because of licensing holdups from Capitol.

In the years after we were not only able to get a license from Capitol but also permission to use the original multi-tracks (which I'd had transferred to digital more than a decade ago to avoid tape degradation.)

It's been a lot more work but with award winning Frank Morrone on hand we were able to place instruments and effects anywhere we wanted, using the original mix as a guide for dynamics and EQ. I hope you agree that working with a multi-track afforded us a lot more opportunities. I also now have Paul Novotny and Joe Sealy of Triplet Records as distributors and I'm very proud of the final product.... I dare say it's even better than the original.

As you know the surround community is seeing new activity and growth. With Blu Ray on the scene there are new audiophile opportunities and more sound-savvy consumers. Online surround downloads are also growing as we speak. So maybe this is our time after all......"

I for one can't wait to hear what he has come up with, it will no doubt be awesome!

amin-banner-cropped.jpgIMG_1625.jpgIMG_1624.jpgIMG_1626.jpgIMG_1627.jpgIMG_1628.jpgIMG_1631.jpg

A little update, from July already, on this ongoing project. No pre orders as yet, but 1st of December still seems to be the release date, http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php...rticle&id=134:is25&catid=34:albums&Itemid=117

July...

There are a number of interesting developments to share as we prepare The Interstellar Suite Anniversary 5.1 Surround Sound collector's edition. Once again, we're grateful to have you on board…

As you may remember from our last update, we determined that Blu Ray is the way to go. Wow, the world of Blu Ray is changing and shifting as we speak so we are waiting to see what audio format will emerge as best. Of course, before we release on a physical product we'll have a download version. For you audiophiles here's a link on the Blu Ray audio subject that we're visiting daily: http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com.

The liner notes are proceeding along with some very special additions. We've confirmed that award winning electronic music journalists Dominic Milano and Mark Vail will be contributing to the technical discussion and - wait for it - there will be an introduction by Steve Porcaro. Amin and Steve got together back stage during Toto's current tour and Steve wanted to be part of the process he first saw begin twenty five years ago, so he's putting a few thoughts together about that time.

Off in video world producer Byron Kent Wong is creating two outstanding videos using new material, NASA footage and some never before seen video. Byron's talents in music, film and graphics never cease to astound us so we can't wait to see where his vision takes us. It will be somewhere we've never been before, that's for sure.

So, there you have it. That's an inside look on where we're at while you patiently wait for your IS25 release. As always, thanks for your ears, your passion for music and your belief that it's worth waiting when you're shooting for the stars.

Some news. The downloads are available, in stereo and 5.1. More formats will be announced soon, which hopefully includes the blu ray. I pass on the downloads for now, as the stereo cost €21,00 and the 5.1 €30,00.
http://highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=123437

The Interstellar Suite 5.1 Collectors Edition
It's official…The Interstellar Suite 25th Anniversary Edition is now available for FLAC download. Released by Triplet Records and distributed online by highresaudio.com. More formats coming soon!
More...
http://www.aminbhatia.com/index.php...rticle&id=134:is25&catid=34:albums&Itemid=117

Hello,

I visited with Amin recently and asked what format he plans to release this in. This is what he had to say:

"It will be available as a disc in the new year. Our plan is Pure Audio BlueRay but as you may know the major labels are discussing how to launch it properly..."

So it looks as though we'll have to wait a while longer. In the meantime, hopefully the bigs will get it together and agree on one standardized hi-res, surround format?!

Hello,

I'm happy to report that the 5.1 FLAC download sounds every bit as good as I could have ever dreamed it could. I have to admit I was hesitant to take the plunge at setting up my computer to play a surround download but it's something that was long overdue and I'm glad I did it. I downloaded the free VLC media player and hooked the analog outputs of my 7.1 soundcard into 6 channels of vintage Sansui amplification. Then I downloaded the FLAC for the Interstellar Suite and the player recognized and played it flawlessly.

Everything about this release from a surround sound experience perspective is STELLAR!!! to this listener. If you have the capabilities I strongly urge you to treat yourself to this listening experience. I have to warn you, you'll want to fasten your seatbelts before blastoff and maybe do a dose of Dramamine because the special fx sound at times like they could be used in a NASA flight simulator. Many at times have tried to draw comparisons of what Amin's music sounds like but I can assure you he is nothing short of a genius outstanding in his field, and now that field includes a 5.1 soundfield the likes of which have never been experienced before. Not only does he take full advantage of a 360 degree equator, he also recognizes longitudinal airspace and applies sonic vector forces towards the north and south poles equally as well. One other thing to be forewarned about is to listen once through at levels you know to be safe. You'll know why after your maiden voyage, some of the sounds your speakers will be introduced to will be alien to say the least and you will be scared into believing that you have just ruined them only to find out it was just a supernatural, paranormal aural experience that will keep calling you back for more and more. After your first surROUND trip you will no doubt be hooked and want to take that ride again and again, like a kid who just can't get enough of his or her favorite roller coaster. So, you kick it up a notch, tweak your controls a little and venture back out into the cosmos of aural candy....because you can never get enough of those Interstellar Sweets!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm happy to report that the 5.1 FLAC download sounds every bit as good as I could have ever dreamed it could. I have to admit I was hesitant to take the plunge at setting up my computer to play a surround download but it's something that was long overdue and I'm glad I did it. I downloaded the free VLC media player and hooked the analog outputs of my 7.1 soundcard into 6 channels of vintage Sansui amplification. Then I downloaded the FLAC for the Interstellar Suite and the player recognized and played it flawlessly.

Everything about this release from a surround sound experience perspective is STELLAR!!! to this listener. If you have the capabilities I strongly urge you to treat yourself to this listening experience. I have to warn you, you'll want fasten your seatbelts before blastoff and maybe do a dose of Dramamine because the special fx sound at times like they could be used in a NASA flight simulator. Many at times have tried to draw comparisons of what Amin's music sounds like but I can assure you he is nothing short of a genius outstanding in his field, and now that field includes a 5.1 soundfield the likes of which have never been experienced before. Not only does he take full advantage of a 360 degree equator, he also recognizes longitudinal airspace and applies sonic vector forces towards the north and south poles equally as well. One other thing to be forewarned about is to listen once through at levels you know to be safe. You'll know why after your maiden voyage, some of the sounds your speakers will be introduced to will be alien to say the least and you will be scared into believing that you have just ruined them only to find out it was just a supernatural, paranormal aural experience that will keep calling you back for more and more. After your first surROUND trip you will no doubt be hooked and want to take that ride again and again, like a kid who just can't get enough of his or her favorite roller coaster. So, you kick it up a notch, tweak your controls a little and venture back out into the cosmos of aural candy....because you can never get enough of those Interstellar Sweets!

FLAC is high resolution. 96/24 as good as dvd audio. MC or stereo.

Hello,

I forgot to mention that there is also a digital booklet in a PDF file that you can access from the High Res Audio website where the FLAC download is located. Just click on the orange tab where it says EXTRA: Digital Booklet:

https://www.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=123437

It's starts out with a couple of pages from Steve Porcaro of Toto, talking about when he first met Amin. There are a lot of interesting anecdotes to read about in the booklet...

Back