Mancini's choral version of Days of Wine and Roses

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndiamone

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Anybody remember if this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN77zzI8L7U
ever appeared in quad besides on a CD-4 test LP I have?

I'm trying to splice it to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DWu3cblz8
for my music engineering students but as you can hear, even though both performances are by the Ron Hicklin Singers standing in for both the Mancini Chorus as well as the Conniff Singers - in the Conniff version, the singers are engineered LtRt and the track is engineered in the center, but in the Mancini version, the reverse is true, orchestra is LtRt and SINGERS are in the center.

Don't REALLY want to mix both to mono so you can't tell the splice, (from hearing chorus in the center and then hearing it split left and right and vice versa with the orchestra would be fairly obvious to a modern audience) but i seem to recall a lot of quadraphonic Mancini and a lot of quadraphonic Conniff where all they did was dub over the 4-track work parts from the original half-inch tape straight across to reel or Q8 - and I was wondering if this Conniff track and its' Mancini counterpart happened to be one of the few.

Then with a dub of the 4-track work parts (two for choir and two for orchestra in both cases) then I could at least match the mixes and THEN splice.

Anybody know if I'm chasing ghosts or not?

Is it the same version as the one on The Best of Mancini? I'm borrowing your Q8 of it, but don't have a Q8 deck hooked up at the moment for a quick listen, but I think Jon Urban has said he has a reel, or files from a reel, of the best of, which is why I abandoned my fostex conversion.

Grrrrr...almost through w this note and computer freezes and crashes. GD POS PC. Now more than ever I want a Mac.
Is it the same version as the one on The Best of Mancini?
Dunno - I know that on the GH it's the piano version, but I think the tracks to that are pretty close to the slow choral version.

It sounds like a remix of that one or else a remix from an outtake from the same sessions also got used on the TL box set of As You Remember Them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jxi_lHxuXI&list=PLC61AB3DED96AB525 but I can't quite tell.

If I could get ahold of THAT mix on CD, then I wouldn't need to remix from the quad because - as you can hear - the AYRM mix has choir LtRt and would splice very nicely to the Conniff version.

Even if it's not the exact same performance as the earlier version - or an outtake therefrom - for my purposes it's close enough - but it doesn't do me any good either because to my knowledge, none of those Billy May-produced tracks ever ended up on anything other than Stereo8 or LP.
I'm borrowing your Q8 of it, but don't have a Q8 deck hooked up at the moment for a quick listen.
Well that would explain not being able to find it this weekend when I had to bring everything from Milpitas storage over here by myself because Way01 needed the money spent on that and the space for the cargo trailer applied to the spot we rented for his new bus.

But you missed all kinds of nice hamburgers and hotdogs and chicken they let the rest of the boys barbecue outside while I was working. Nice friends eh? Don't wanna work but wanna come over for beer and hotdogs. At least when you were here you came with tight pants and left with baggies like me. (WINK).

These guys that were here this weekend ``to help out'' - the only thing they could do at the end of the day was unbutton their top button like our Dads would do after Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner.
But I think Jon Urban has said he has a reel, or files from a reel, of the best of, which is why I abandoned my fostex conversion.
Well that would be a good enough reason not to bother with a Q8. Maybe he can send me the individual WAVs from it in my email like you did for the New Gold Dream. Why that wasn't a hit in America I dunno - but then a lot of records hit overseas that didn't hit here.

Back