Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
The following is a listing of modern day recordings of material that was originally released with matrix quadraphonic encoding. Please submit any titles currently available with encoding intact. If at all possible, include the following info with your submission;

Artist
Title of Release
Catalog Number
Type of Encoding; SQ, QS, etc.

THE LIST

Barclay James Harvest- Once Again (SQ) EMI/Brimstone records BRIM002
Available on their official web site: http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/
Wendy Carlos-Sonic Seasonings (QS) East Side Digital
Dzyan-Time Machine (SQ) Bellaphon/Bacillus 288-09-108
Electric Light Orchestra-Early Years (SQ)
Grateful Dead-Steal Your Face (QS)
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks- Striking It Rich!(QS)
Keith Jarrett-Treasure Island (SQ?) (Impulse MCAD-39106) from 1988
Ned Lagin/Phil Lesh -Seastones (SQ)
Lucifer's Friend-Lucifer's Friend (SQ)
Mandingo-The Primeval Rhythm of Life (SQ) EMI 8142112
Mountain- Twin Peaks(SQ) Columbia
Nektar-A Tab In The Ocean (SQ) New Release Coming Soon
Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Hergest Ridge (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1, Virgin CDV2013
Mike Oldfield-Ommadawn (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Collaborations (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Preservation Hall Jazz Band New Orleans Vol. I CBS- CD (SQ) MK34549 1977
Procol Harem-Delicato (Bootleg King Biscuit Broadcast) (SQ)
Sam Rivers-Crystals (QS - not confirmed) Impulse ASD-9286
Archie Shepp-Attica Blues (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9222
Archie Shepp-The Cry of My People (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9231
Gato Barbieri-Chapter 4/ Alive in New York (QS - not confirmed) Impluse ASD-9303
Santana-Lotus 2 CD Set (SQ)
Santana And Buddy Miles - Live! (SQ "maybe")
Sun Ra -Space Is The Place (QS) Impulse
Synergy-Electronic Realizations For Rock Opera (QS)
Tommy- Soundtrack (QS) Polydor 841 121-2

Last edited:
The soundtrack cds listed below were originally released as SQ encoded L.P.s on the Stanyan record label and are available here:

http://www.stanyanhouse.com/stanyanhouse.asp

Spellbound
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Nun's Story

I am fairly sure that these cds would have been sourced from the original SQ masters as the L.P.s were only available as quad. That said, I must also say that since I don't own any of these cds, I can't definitively verify their decodability.

zabble said:
The soundtrack cds listed below were originally released as SQ encoded L.P.s on the Stanyan record label and are available here:

http://www.stanyanhouse.com/stanyanhouse.asp

Spellbound
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Nun's Story

I am fairly sure that these cds would have been sourced from the original SQ masters as the L.P.s were only available as quad. That said, I must also say that since I don't own any of these cds, I can't definitively verify their decodability.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely, or at least uncertain, that these CDs were made from the quad masters.

On eBay, I picked up a copy of "The Nun's Story", assuming that it was quad. The same artwork appeared on the cover, but the album number was POW-4022 instead of SRQ-4022. The master number inscribed in the vinyl was "POW-4022" rather than the "SRQ-4022" inscribed into quad copies.

All references to "quad" on the back of the jacket had been removed. The large font statement "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN COMPATIBLE SQ QUADRAPHONIC STEREO SOUND" had become "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN COMPATIBLE STEREO SOUND", with white space where "SQ QUADRAPHONIC" had appeared. Even the tiny "SQ Quadraphonic Mixing" credit had been deleted, and the credits below it moved up.

In addition, the back of the jacket advertised apparently stereo copies of "Spellbound" (POW-4025) and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (POW-4026).

The date on the stereo release of "A Nun's Story" was 1982, and by then quad had long been considered a miserable failure. It appears that Stanyan, like other record companies, was treating it like a curse.

Larry

I do know that the CD "Chase" (Bill Chase) is the SQ version. I have it but not with me. It decodes wonderfully through the tate.

dr8track said:
The following is a listing of modern day recordings of material that was originally released with matrix quadraphonic encoding. Please submit any titles currently available with encoding intact. If at all possible, include the following info with your submission;

<strong>Artist</strong>
<strong>Title of Release</strong>
<strong>Catalog Number</strong>
<strong>Type of Encoding;</strong> SQ, QS, etc.

<strong>THE LIST</strong>

Wendy Carlos-<strong>Sonic Seasonings</strong> (QS) East Side Digital
Dzyan-<strong>Time Machine</strong> (SQ) Bellaphon/Bacillus 288-09-108
Electric Light Orchestra-<strong>Early Years</strong> (SQ)
Grateful Dead-<strong>Steal Your Face</strong> (QS)
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks <strong>Striking It Rich!</strong> (QS)
Ned Lagin/Phil Lesh -<strong> Seastones</strong> (SQ)
Lucifer's Friend-<strong>Lucifer's Friend</strong> (SQ)
Mountain <strong>Twin Peaks</strong> (SQ)
Nektar-<strong>A Tab In The Ocean</strong> (SQ) New Release Coming Soon
Mike Oldfield-<strong>Tubular Bells</strong> (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-<strong>Hergest Ridge</strong> (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1, Virgin CDV2013
Mike Oldfield-<strong>Ommadawn</strong> (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-<strong>Collaborations</strong> (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Procol Harem-<strong>Delicato (Bootleg King Biscuit Broadcast)</strong> (SQ)
Santana-<strong>Lotus</strong> 2 CD Set (SQ)
Sun Ra -<strong>Space Is The Place</strong> (QS) Impulse
Synergy-<strong>Electronic Realizations For Rock Opera</strong> (QS)
Tommy <strong>Soundtrack</strong> (QS)

I saw the Charlie Haden album listed on the quad discography page as being one that was "possible". I have that CD, so has that been proven to be quad or not?

johmbolayaSQ said:
I saw the Charlie Haden album listed on the quad discography page as being one that was "possible". I have that CD, so has that been proven to be quad or not?

So far as I know, no. I've encountered only one Impulse CD release that explicitly states that it's "quad": Keith Jarrett/Treasure Island (Impulse MCAD-39106) from 1988. The notes accompanying the CD state "This album was mixed by means of the Standard Matrix system for full compatible stereo and quadraphonic reproduction."

In the case of Charlie Haden's "Liberation Music Orchestra", not even all LP copies indicate that the recording is quad. The copy I had for many years did not. I searched eBay for a year before finding one with the notice "Compatible Stereo/Quad" on the record label. I've never seen a copy with a notice on the jacket. So, I doubt any CD copies exist with an explicit notice that the recording is quad.

Except when the quad recording contains pan-pots involving the rear channels, I've never had much luck comparing LP and CD versions to verify the CD's quad status. It seems to me that mostly ambience appears in the rear channels of the Impulse recordings, so it's probably going to be difficult to determine their status by listening.

On the other hand, if Ed Michel was involved in the CD release, there's at least a fighting possibility it's quad. He recorded or mixed most, if not all, of the Impuse quad recordings. He lists these at his Website. Because of his interest in surround sound, I imagine he'd want to preserve that aspect of the recordings on the CDs.

Larry

larryclifton said:
So far as I know, no. I've encountered only one Impulse CD release that explicitly states that it's "quad": Keith Jarrett/Treasure Island (Impulse MCAD-39106) from 1988. The notes accompanying the CD state "This album was mixed by means of the Standard Matrix system for full compatible stereo and quadraphonic reproduction."

Okay. Good Jarrett album too, BTW.

In the case of Charlie Haden's "Liberation Music Orchestra", not even all LP copies indicate that the recording is quad. The copy I had for many years did not. I searched eBay for a year before finding one with the notice "Compatible Stereo/Quad" on the record label. I've never seen a copy with a notice on the jacket. So, I doubt any CD copies exist with an explicit notice that the recording is quad.

Except when the quad recording contains pan-pots involving the rear channels, I've never had much luck comparing LP and CD versions to verify the CD's quad status. It seems to me that mostly ambience appears in the rear channels of the Impulse recordings, so it's probably going to be difficult to determine their status by listening.

On the other hand, if Ed Michel was involved in the CD release, there's at least a fighting possibility it's quad. He recorded or mixed most, if not all, of the Impuse quad recordings. He lists these at his Website. Because of his interest in surround sound, I imagine he'd want to preserve that aspect of the recordings on the CDs.

Larry

Very informative, and thank you for the link.
Yeah, I'm looking at my CD, released in 1996, and while Ed Michel's name is in the liner notes, I'm assuming it's for the original mix. At the end of the liner notes it says Digitally remastered by Erick Labson at MCA Music Media Studios using 20-bit Super Mapping. So... maybe not.

dr8track said:
The following is a listing of modern day recordings of material that was originally released with matrix quadraphonic encoding.

THE LIST

Grateful Dead-Steal Your Face (QS)
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks Striking It Rich! (QS)
Mountain Twin Peaks (SQ)
Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Hergest Ridge (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1, Virgin CDV2013
Mike Oldfield-Ommadawn (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Collaborations (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Santana-Lotus 2 CD Set (SQ)
Sun Ra -Space Is The Place (QS) Impulse

Hello, The above mentioned titles are available to burn on Rhapsody. I was wondering if anyone out there has burned any of them? And, if you have, do they decode well?

Thanks, Aquadad

Last edited:
Here are two more cds that haven't been mentioned. Both actually confirm SQ quad encoding in the liner notes:

Mandingo
The Primeval Rhythm of Life
EMI
(SQ) Currently out of print

Barclay James Harvest
Once Again
EMI/Brimstone records
BRIM002
(SQ) Available on their official web site: http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/

Here's one for the list of SQ encoded CD's. This was a quad only release.:preservation Hall Jazz Band New Orleans Vol. I CBS (CD) MK34549 1977

Hi,

I've recently become aware of these sq lps. Needless to say they are very hard and expensive to get ahold of. I've noticed that they are available as cd reissues. Does anyone have copies of any of these cds and if so is the matrix encoding intact? The original lps seems to have been quad only releases.

Thanks

Jeff

Hey gang,

I recently tried 'Santana And Buddy Miles - Live!'...and it sounds like the CD, to these ears, is encoded. I need verification if someone else has the CD to check. I put it through my Sony SQR-6650, used tab's decoding process for SQ (converted then to DTS), my Pro Logic II decoder in my LG (made by Zenith) receiver. I always had a suspicion about this one. The LP releases in stereo and quad were released simultaneously, were they not? I did not check the Japanese mini CD version. I used the American 1994 CBS CD release. There may be a few other Santana releases I am going to try. Heck, I may check a lot of early 90s CBS releases that had a quad release, just for laughs.

Hi There,
I`m not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I have Deep Purple "Machine Head " 25th Anniversary edition (CD)and two of the last tracks on disc 1 are listed as quad mixes. (Maybe I`m A Leo & Lazy)I was wondering if they would be SQ or CD- 4 mixes ? Or they are just downmixed from quad? Haven`t received an answer from Rhino Records yet .The reason I`m asking is if sq encoded cds can be decoded by AA, Shouldn`t one be able to do the same with a CD-4 mix? Or would you need a decoder for such?
Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Hi There,
I`m not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but I have Deep Purple "Machine Head " 25th Anniversary edition (CD)and two of the last tracks on disc 1 are listed as quad mixes. (Maybe I`m A Leo & Lazy)I was wondering if they would be SQ or CD- 4 mixes ? Or they are just downmixed from quad? Haven`t received an answer from Rhino Records yet .The reason I`m asking is if sq encoded cds can be decoded by AA, Shouldn`t one be able to do the same with a CD-4 mix? Or would you need a decoder for such?
Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this.

They are from the European SQ release. I wouldn't think you are correct about decoding CD-4 though. It is a whole different animal, and without going into a LOT of techic mumbo jumbo, it ONLY works with a phono source and the appropriate hardware. Mike.

cd-4 wouldn't work on a cd because the sampling rate of a cd isn't high enough to hold the high frequency carrier signal.

This week I obtained some CD's from a friend who is a jazz fan, and upon looking at the quad discography a few of these are on the list. I have no means of checking if the CD's are encoded, but this is what I have:

SAM RIVERS-Crystals. Impulse ASD-9286 (QS)
ARCHIE SHEPP-Attica Blues. Impulse AS-9222 (QS)
ARCHIE SHEPP-The Cry of My People. Impulse AS-9231 (QS)
GATO BARBIERI-Chapter 4/ Alive in New York. Impluse ASD-9303 (QS)

Each of these, according to the discography, are only available in quad and no known stereo mixes.

The inserts for Shepp's discs indicate that the albums have been mixed "for compatible quadraphonic and stereophonic reproduction". That's most likely due to nothing more than wanting to reproduce the LP artwork, but are they a possibility?

I probably can't post 10 second samples here, but would anyone know?

Beaver & Krause's Gandharva has been released on CD numerous times, but since it's not listed here, can one assume that none of them are encoded?

Last edited:
Back