Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the "Chronicles" mid-90's CD of Synergy? The QS-encode on that disc is wonderful thru PLII Music (I can only begin to imagine how good it is properly decoded).

That's the one.

Contains excelent liner notes regarding the QS encode, actually surpasses the album notes.

Too bad LARRY FAST didn't release it in 4 ch dvda or sacd.

To bad he didn't release more quad!

I have a copy of that Ash Ra Temple IV disc ( Spalax label from France) but there's no mention on the packaging of it being quad encoded( or is it?)

I have a copy of that Ash Ra Temple IV disc ( Spalax label from France) but there's no mention on the packaging of it being quad encoded( or is it?)

If your referring to ASHRA VI it was a single inventory sq disc

I have as well this disc on lp (German pressing).Clearly indicated as quad encoded, mixed by the artist himself, photo on reverse of him working with Teac 4 ch R2R.

A/B comparisons confirm to me its quad (spalax label france)as is the SCI FI disc

I used to have the first ashra and join in on the PDU sq label and always had doubts about the first disc being quad.

derek

On the bottom of the back of the Ashra IV disc it does mention 4 channel recording so maybe it is matrix encoded afterall.( there might not be a real stereo mix only a downmix from the quad mix)

There is some controversy about the Cosmic Couriers discs and like I stated prior I have doubts about ASH RA'S first disc which I had on the Italian PDU label clearly marked as quad on the disc and jacket.Now it is possible they went back and encoded it for second issue releases, but after listening via my 101a, I'd have to state it is poor quad at best.

There are liner notes on both these cd's which state quad mix

On Ashra VI "QUADRO-MIXING AT DIERKS STUDIO (COLOGNE) BY MANUEL GOTTSCHING & HEINER FRIESZ"

On Sci Fi Party "AUFGENOMMEN UND GEMISCHT IM QUADRO-STUDIO IN STOMMEIN VON DIETER DIERKS.ASSISTENT:HEINER FRIESSSZ."

I guess my point being older recordings 72,73 stated Studio Dierks but soon after referred to Quad Studio Dierks, which leads me to believe his studios were QUAD equipped and utilized as such, not just for the OHR, METRONOME (COSMIC COURRIER) albums but for his mixes on BELLAPHON as well.

The CHASE TRILOGY cd on BGO records.The first disc is SQ encoded, no doubt about it, and I believe PURE MUSIC is also encoded on this three disc cd!!! I read elsewhere that only the first cd when released was confirmed but after listening to Pure Music, I'm convinced it's SQ! There's just far too much individual instrument placement in the L/R Rear to consider otherwise 20150515_220443.jpg.

And an oldie but a goldie, now rare very hard to obtain.Got mine direct from Virgin Records in early 90's.20150515_220522.jpg20150515_220552.jpg

The CHASE TRILOGY cd on BGO records.The first disc is SQ encoded, no doubt about it, and I believe PURE MUSIC is also encoded on this three disc cd!!! I read elsewhere that only the first cd when released was confirmed but after listening to Pure Music, I'm convinced it's SQ! There's just far too much individual instrument placement in the L/R Rear to consider otherwiseView attachment 18930.

And an oldie but a goldie, now rare very hard to obtain.Got mine direct from Virgin Records in early 90's.View attachment 18931View attachment 18932

Many Thanks for the info! :upthumb
Fwiw, Chase's 1st LP and Pure Music on iTunes both pan out pretty well thru PLII.. the Blu-Spec of Pure Music which has an OBI purporting to be from the SQ encode doesn't do anything surround-y (and sounds horrible!). Great albums..

Chase Ennea (2nd album) was never released in Quad, so that one is definitely NOT SQ encoded.

Not even considered SQ quad for this 3 disc cd.What is interesting as well on this BGO release is that it provides the quad liner notes for the PURE MUSIC issue identical to the quad lp! But the first disc liner notes do not.

It's time for some more pics

Note the Mike Oldfield Exposed is the "first edition"(I added the SQ emblem).The YES OPEN YOU EYES disc employs a 5.1 matrix known as SAIL.

Both the YES SYMPHONIC(with Alan Parsons conducting) and the PROCOL HARUM SYMPHONIC sound pretty good in dolby.There was a third disc in this series, SYMPHONIC ROLLING STONES, but I traded it because it was a bust.
20150515_220531.jpg20150515_220513.jpg20150522_185122.jpg20150522_185233.jpg20150522_185211.jpg20150522_185105.jpg20150522_185056.jpg

This cd does indeed (as it states) decode SQ .And has test tracks that work for SQ, quite well.
From Andrew Marshall's Audio Idea's Guide.Recorded with carefully placed mics to capture (encode) in "Naturalmatrix".20150711_191018.jpg20150711_190952.jpg20150711_190939.jpg20150711_190914.jpg

I just got BGO's 2013 reissue of John Lee Hooker's "Born in Mississippi, Raised up in Tennessee" and "Kabuki Wuki". The original liner notes for both albums are reprinted in the booklet complete with mention of compatible quadraphonic. Playing them back through the Surround Master sounds to me like genuine quad. The Kabuki album is live and mostly just has a nice open sound, but the other one has some pretty obvious discrete moments that are hard to miss.

Yes, they were encoded in QS. BOOGIE with the Hook!

I just got BGO's 2013 reissue of John Lee Hooker's "Born in Mississippi, Raised up in Tennessee" and "Kabuki Wuki". The original liner notes for both albums are reprinted in the booklet complete with mention of compatible quadraphonic. Playing them back through the Surround Master sounds to me like genuine quad. The Kabuki album is live and mostly just has a nice open sound, but the other one has some pretty obvious discrete moments that are hard to miss.

An excellent SQ cd.

Content is mostly the first quad ELO DISC, but contains 2additional tracks encoded from ELO'S second album, which are not available in quad in any other format.Perhaps one day they will issue the second quad album in it's entirety. 20150811_190052.jpg20150811_190224.jpg20150811_190238.jpg

PROCOL HARUM-LIVE AT THE BBC

The 1974 BBC SQ QUAD broadcast and one of the most active quad mixes I have ever heard in a live concert, highly recommended!! This is a must own cd and I am happy I lucked out on a used copy in great condition!

20150819_093000.jpg20150819_093013.jpg20150819_093046.jpg20150819_093121.jpg

Back