Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, i've now made the remaining blog open to all because although the list of albums i've released (so far) is still there, all links to allow download have been removed. This is because of the new "Business Model" started by RS. At the moment the releases are probably only available from "The Hub", although a few of them will be re-done and released on a limited basis.

The blog will still be used to show the latest releases, although these will only be available via the new forum.

Please take a peek:

http://the-quad-blog.blogspot.com/

OD

it's only mean the digital processing, usually remastering of the sound after it been converted from analog to digital but without cardinal changes to original mix.
A - analog source
D - digital processing
D - digital form of distribution

While I accept the possibility that the SPARS code might mean different things in different circumstances, according to Island Records, as indicated on the back of the Robert Palmer CD sitting on my desk (Double Fun), AAD stands for:

Analog Recording
Analog Mix
Digitally Mastered

I presume from this that the first "D" in "ADD" would stand for "digital mix."

J. D.

Analog Recording
Analog Mix
Digitally Mastered
sort of but not necessarily (ADD) re-mastering mean new mixing. usualy it's removing of the hiss, others imperfections of old analog recording, eq. and so on. with no interference to the original mix.

The BJH title "Once Again" has just had a 40th anniversary reissue.
Not only did the SQ make it onto the DVD (at 24/96), but there is a new 5.1 mix derived from the Quad as well as a 24/96 flat analogue transfer of the stereo.

I have a version of Once Again[2002 reissue] by BJH that has 3 of the quad tracks[Happy Old World,Vanessa Simmons and Ball and Chain]but i'm not sure if the quad's actually on the cd or if it's just a stereo downmix.

The DVD release of David Bowie Serious Moonlight has a screwed up 'unwrapped' 5.1 mix but it also includes Gary Reber's 2 channel SQ/Tate Encoded version of the soundtrack - it's only drawback is its AC-3 at 228kbps, but it still sounds really good.

also, the double DVD set of Bowie video's (which are stunningly remastered) has a 'hidden' track of the full 25 minute mini-movie of Jazzin' For Blue Jean and its Dolby Surround encoded, as is Fame-90.

this is a late update because I forgot to also state that the Pioneer Artists LaserDisc release of Jazzin' For Blue Jean is also Dolby MP Surround encoded and Shure used to use it as a demo disc for their original HTS-5000 Acra-Vector Logic surround decoder. So, for those wacko LaserDisc collectors like me, you can get the disc on eBay or from Duffs Flix for $5 bucks or so.

Last edited:
Hi All
I`ve had a great laid back Jazz session with these black jazz CD`s which are still available at Amazon.
there all QS Matrix CD`S

pic 1.jpg

Sly and the Family Stone-For Collectors Only(a roio with 12 of their quad mixes that decode well in DTS Neo 6....from a vinyl source the last 3 tracks have quite a bit of surface noise)

Last edited:
Mickey Newbury- San Francisco Mabel Joy - decodes beautifully.
Judy Collins- Whales and Nightingales - ' Amazing Grace' will decode with the male choir in the rear, including the dude who hits the dud note.

Picked up these cddiscs just over a year ago

The Beach boys-Surf's Up(DY) hdcd-2012 release

Procol Harum-BBC Live in concert (sq) true north tnd205

Holly Cole-Girl Talk (uhj) Alert/Columbia House

John Coltrane-Live in Seattle (qs) impulse/grp '94release

Ten Years After-A space in time (SQ)-Chrysalis 2012 ( this cd states it has newly remixed 1973 quad to stereo, but I'm doubtful of the sq de-encode as it's next to impossible to remove the double helical sq in the mix and why bother when it plays in stereo if you want it so.This disc suffers the same problem as the dts dvd in that front and rear are reversed (vocals in the rear).

Is there an updated list to the first page of QS and SQ encoded CD's? If not, this is still a great thread to research. I am interested in finding some to play on my Sansui.

Is there an updated list to the first page of QS and SQ encoded CD's? If not, this is still a great thread to research. I am interested in finding some to play on my Sansui.

Hi. MyCuff
Here is my collection of QS Black Jazz CD`s you can still get from Amazon & Discogs.com I have bought these over a period of year.
Bill....

vlcsnap-2015-03-06-12h10m18s199.jpg
vlcsnap-2015-03-06-12h18m51s648.jpg

Some Impulse cds not mentioned in this thread:

Impulse 1.JPG

Attachments

• impulse 2.JPG
    impulse 2.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 308
Back