Paul Van Dyk - Global DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
I couldn't find any mention of this elsewhere on QQ.. but I noticed it has a "5.1 studio mix" from the product description, so I bought it out of curiosity as its cheap.

Does anybody here have it already and can comment on the Surround mix?

(n):phones(y)

I couldn't find any mention of this elsewhere on QQ.. but I noticed it has a "5.1 studio mix" from the product description, so I bought it out of curiosity as its cheap.

Does anybody here have it already and can comment on the Surround mix?

(n):phones(y)

According to one of the Amazon reviews:

"For me, the entire reason to get this DVD/CD was one of the extras: A full 5.1 DTS version of the entire album, with only the automated mixing desk as visual accompaniment. For me, the DTS mix is far superior to that of the CD or standard DVD, and it's the main reason I sometimes listen to Global and not the original albums."

According to one of the Amazon reviews:

"For me, the entire reason to get this DVD/CD was one of the extras: A full 5.1 DTS version of the entire album, with only the automated mixing desk as visual accompaniment. For me, the DTS mix is far superior to that of the CD or standard DVD, and it's the main reason I sometimes listen to Global and not the original albums."

Yes, I saw that too Neil, part of what tipped me over the edge to get it (y) that and the PVD SA-CD I got the other week being fantastic (and much better than I was expecting!).

Thanks for tip! Just snagged the last copy at Amazon for $10

Hope it's a good'un! :D from Patrick's feedback it sounds like a solid proposition, so turned out to be a low-risk purchase after all..! :eek:

back of the box says the DVD has a DTS 5.1 stream for the studio mix.

I grabbed one too - second hand from a seller. Which format did you get? Looks like there's a DVD only and a CD+DVD dual disc.

I grabbed one too - second hand from a seller. Which format did you get? Looks like there's a DVD only and a CD+DVD dual disc.

I got the standalone DVD release (UK/Region 2) as the DVD in the CD + DVD package is billed as Region 1 and my BDP is Region 2 locked for DVD.

the Region 1 DVD would have played in my Region-Free Pioneer DVD player but I prefer using the CA BDP these days, wherever possible.

Just arrived yesterday - not sure that Trance/House circa 2003 is my thing but the mix is satisfying and the execution of the project is quite good. I wish that the accompanying videos that only contain the DD stream would be available for DTS because some of them are quite good. This is not hangin out by yourself music and unless your throwing a rave in your house you may turn off the less adventurous. This is Kraftwerk inspired house music in a contiunuous mix. If your looking for some high quality dance club (think Ibiza) music in surround, this is it.

My copy arrived today - I'm giving it a quick spin now and really enjoying it. The DTS sound quality is pretty good fidelity to my ears and the surround mix is rather well done. I need to look for some more of this style of dance in 5.1, I think. Oh how I wish Chicane's "Behind the Sun" was available in surround.

I got the standalone DVD release (UK/Region 2) as the DVD in the CD + DVD package is billed as Region 1 and my BDP is Region 2 locked for DVD.

the Region 1 DVD would have played in my Region-Free Pioneer DVD player but I prefer using the CA BDP these days, wherever possible.

Don't you have a CA 651? I thought they were region free?

My copy arrived today - I'm giving it a quick spin now and really enjoying it. The DTS sound quality is pretty good fidelity to my ears and the surround mix is rather well done. I need to look for some more of this style of dance in 5.1, I think. Oh how I wish Chicane's "Behind the Sun" was available in surround.

Don't you have a CA 651? I thought they were region free?

not half bad is it Neil..! :) as you say, mix is pretty cool, fidelity solid, you just have to love the music! (funnily enough I prefer the PVD SACD, musically but it's not like a night & day difference they're both very much of the same oeuvre.).

yes I have the 651BD and yes it is supposed to be preset for Multi-region DVD at the factory but I'm buggered if I can get it to play any of my (admittedly getting on now, I haven't imported any NTSC/US/Region 1 DVDs for years!) R1 DVDs!!?!? :(

yes I have the 651BD and yes it is supposed to be preset for Multi-region DVD at the factory but I'm buggered if I can get it to play any of my (admittedly getting on now, I haven't imported any NTSC/US/Region 1 DVDs for years!) R1 DVDs!!?!? :(

If it's like the 752 the multi-region setting can get reset, usually by firmware upgrades so they include a disc in the packaging that will put it back, If you didn't get one (or have lost it) you may be able to get a replacement from CA or at least the file so you can burn your own.

If it's like the 752 the multi-region setting can get reset, usually by firmware upgrades so they include a disc in the packaging that will put it back, If you didn't get one (or have lost it) you may be able to get a replacement from CA or at least the file so you can burn your own.

Thank you Neil, that's great info! I'll check it out! (y)

Back