Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.
This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!

Wow! Counting the days then...
Every 24/96 stereo master I've ever heard has trumped (or equaled in a couple cases) the MFSL vinyl. That's fantastic news!

And a SW remix in 5.1 too:)
Didn't I read something a while back that said the multitracks were degraded and irreparable? So, they were able to save them after all?

I have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.
This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!

THANK YOU, Neil, for this most AMAZING news!!
Must we keep this wonderful news on here, or are we allowed to discuss elsewhere?

YES,YES,YES

this is very cool, can't wait to hear this in surround.
I am sure this will leave Fragile 5.1 in the dust as to how much better it will be done in surround.

Very excited about this news.....

I'm in! I almost bought the recent SACD but hesitated - much rather have a 5.1 mix, and I hope there's a few more in the pipeline...

Thanks as always for the info Neil!

Audio history is bending towards QQ yet again!!

Another dream surround album happens because the right people believe and make it happen.

I knew sometime ago that 2013 was going to be the best in quite some time for surround, but I had absolutely no idea just how good. :)

Just hope I don't wake up tomorrow to find that this is just a dream :yikes

Guess those stereo SACDs will drop in value around these parts!

Great news, Neil!

I'm going to celebrate by playing the HD tracks download through my PLII encoder whilst drinking lots of beer and pretending it's October ;)

YES,YES,YES

this is very cool, can't wait to hear this in surround.
I am sure this will leave Fragile 5.1 in the dust as to how much better it will be done in surround.

Very excited about this news.....

Yeah, I hope they redo the Fragile disc! That was one of those circa early 2000 DVD's that had the 5.1 remix that was cranked out by some intern. Basically a bad stereo mix in front with gallons of awful reverb in the back. And my Japanese import vinyl trumped it for the original stereo master as well. Glad that trend didn't last long!

...I'm just listening to Wakeman's organ section after the "I get up I get down" vocal and imagining how incredibly good that is going to be in an SW hi res surround mix. Oh my...

There really will be an OKTOBERFEST this year with "Close to the Edge", "Benefit", & "The Road to RED" all being released that month.
PLUS, there will also be the new reissues of "Brain Salad Surgery" & "TRILOGY" to look forward to as well. (Still no definitive release on those yet, but I'm now assuming Sept/Oct for those 2, since summer is now a bit late for these to come out)

Now how about a 35th anniversary 5.1 mix of RUSH's "Hemispheres" to close off the year?! :D :51banana:

Back